The Student Room Group

Love you without the 'I'

I read somewhere, and in a way I agree with it, that 'I love you' is very different from 'love you'.

If you were in a close relationship with someone, what would you rather them tell you? Do you think it makes any difference? And if it does, why?

I'm interested to see if anyone feels that they do mean the same, because to me just love you seems quite casual. Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
there's something about "I love you" that sounds a lot more serious than "love you"- i wouldn't say i love you to a friend or family. I don't know why i would just think it sounded weird.
Original post by marinajelly
I read somewhere, and in a way I agree with it, that 'I love you' is very different from 'love you'.

If you were in a close relationship with someone, what would you rather them tell you? Do you think it makes any difference? And if it does, why?

I'm interested to see if anyone feels that they do mean the same, because to me just love you seems quite casual. Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Idk I think I'd say "I love you" to a partner as it seems more personal. I say I love you to my friends but usually if we're departing or something (like if they're going on holiday for a few weeks) I'd just say "love you, bye x". Love you seems more casual than I love you, no idea why haha :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
In all honesty, "love you" is what you immaturely say at 14 because you know society thinks you're too young to actually be in love so you try and compensate by telling your girlfriend of boyfriend "love you" as a way of showing some kind of (adult) affection. It means I care about you and I really really like you.

I would never say it now. It means nothing. I would show my boyfriend that I care and like him, or literally say those words to him. I wouldn't use the phrase that I used on my childhood relationships at 14/15.

When I really fell in love with him, I would tell him I loved him.
Reply 4
My partner always says 'I love you' or a variant of that like 'I love you more than everything' and I prefer that to 'love you'. My mum and my gran say 'love you' to me to my face and through text and I don't mind that as for family relationships I don't mind 'love you' but for romantic relationships, I prefer 'I love you'.

I think 'I love you' sounds more personal. 'Love you' isn't the worst. Its certainly better than someone writing 'ily' or 'ly' :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I think you're reading too much into this. I would usually say 'I love you' to my boyfriend but often we just say a quick 'love you'
Reply 6
I always say I love you. Never love you. Unless im in a **** mood and trying to make a point by beig a dick
I love you seems serious while love you seems casual.
Reply 8
"Love you" I say as a quick thing to friends and family

"I love you" is something I say to a guy that I have serious feelings for

Posted from TSR Mobile
"I love you" sounds more personal and doesn't come across as lazy.

One day I'll get to utter that:h:
I'll always say "I love you" to a boyfriend. It's "love you!" at the end of a phone conversation with close friends
'Love you' is a lot more casual and even friendly I'd say. Or jest.

Using the personal subject pronoun 'I' makes it a lot more personal and affectionate and actually more serious.

Both show you're quite close but the latter a lot more intimate. I'd say for relationships.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending