The Student Room Group

Former Labour pm Tony Blair now earns £13million+ a year - are you happy for him?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
I'm neither happy nor sad. If people want to pay him that is their prerogative.

You don't think there's something disgusting about the world's largest banks paying him a fortune to advance their corporate agendas? You do realise that he was Prime Minister, right? How can we be sure he wasn't working for them in office for example?

Hands up anyone who feels that UK elected officials are supposed to be there to represent the people and not the interests of JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs.
Original post by Meenglishnogood
you obviously have no clue about the region so dont embarrass yourself, saudi arabia bank rolled saddam for years :rolleyes:.

and a job is a job, regardles of who you build loyalty with - the head of the Unite Union is on close to £200,000 pa on salary package. Blair simply weasled his way into the upper end of the renumeration scale

Getting 100,000 for being the sole CEO of a large trade union is not the same as getting one million for 3 days work. You have to be really naive to think its all innocent and about blairs amazing skills rather than about getting contacts in the british establishment
He should be done for war crimes.
Original post by James222
Lol your exposing your own limited knowledge of the region. I dont even care what you post because I have seen confessions by arab monarchies so nothing a kid posts on TSR will change that. .
of course the 'confessions by arab monarchies' have all been your personal resource. please go and find a thread more suited to a pre-pubescent argument that appears to be your only forte. :rolleyes:

Original post by James222
So what ?? The Interests and agenda of Unite are largely not in open conflict with the Interests of the majority of british people.

If former PM works for a union or becomes chancellor of university of NGO thats fine, but when he starts working for banks that get bailouts or involved in City scandals or an industry trying its best to stop new regulation vital to economy in damages the office of PM and dangerous for democracy creating a revolving door.

so its ok for a politician to bleed a charity or ngo dry, but to get pay off from banks, that unacceptable. yes good adolescent logic there. blair simply targetted the highest paying gravy train he could, his lessor cronies from the labour party ie prescott, paddy tipping tony lloyd etc have all been hunting payoffs from smaller, often public or charity organisations .
He is a prime example of how to completely milk your own personal brand for money. He charges six figures just for a speech for goodness sake. You can learn a lot from this guy.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
You don't think there's something disgusting about the world's largest banks paying him a fortune to advance their corporate agendas?

Not inherently, no. And the only people who can have a legitimate complaint are those company's shareholders. I see no more reason to object to his large salary than to a footballer's (often larger) salary.

You do realise that he was Prime Minister, right? How can we be sure he wasn't working for them in office for example?

Hands up anyone who feels that UK elected officials are supposed to be there to represent the people and not the interests of JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs.

Prove it (not that he was PM... I'm not that dim).

And yes, they do. While they're politicians. Once they're not, they're private citizens and can do whatever the hell they want to earn money legally, it's none of anyone's business.

Working with someone while in a public body position doesn't mean working for them. Any idea the number of former Generals, Admirals and Air-rank officers that, as soon as retiring from the Armed Forces went on to work as a Director for large Defence-related companies? Don't see anybody questioning them. It's a perfectly normal thing to do and has been happening throughout history. Only slight difference with Blair is that when he left office he was still young enough to want to do a job.
Original post by will2348
He is a prime example of how to completely milk your own personal brand for money. He charges six figures just for a speech for goodness sake. You can learn a lot from this guy.

i think he created a brand for Labour in order to get elected. it jsut goes to show what effect spin can have on the guillable mind
Labour :facepalm:
Where's the option for 'He's a ****'
I'm entirely indifferent.

Original post by Drewski
Once they're not, they're private citizens and can do whatever the hell they want to earn money legally, it's none of anyone's business.

Because this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by will2348

I would say "the real idiots are the people who pay to see him", but of course that isn't really how he gets all that money. He gets it like a pimp, by selling secrets he learned as PM, contacts he gained as PM and world leaders and insiders he obtained as PM, to the bankers and corrupt gulf dictatorships who are in need of his corrupt 'services'.

Perhaps, like prostitution, this kind of thing should be taxed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending