The Student Room Group

Peaches Geldof baby alone for 17 hours

Does this change your opinion on Peaches?

Her baby son was found 17 hours after she killed herself around a stash of nearly 80 syringes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
that's disgusting, cant believe she left a baby in that enviroment, whats wrong with her man
Didn't like her to begin with and still don't. Don't respect anyone who does drugs - selfish, ruins families and lives. People who deal I despise even more selling drugs to peoples sons and daughters for money or to rapists to date rape and take advantage. The true vulgar scourges of a capitalist society where only profit matters to them.
Original post by Numberwang

Not really, that's just the tabloid press doing their usual macabre post-mortem character assessments and assassinations to titillate bored idiots.

My opinion of her before she died was that she seemed vapid and irritating - merely famous for being famous. That opinion remains unchanged.

However...the press vultures swooping in and dissecting every aspect of her last moments so that their readers (yes, including people on here) can feel morally superior and smug just makes me think one thing...isn't there more important stuff going on in the world?
Original post by Sanctimonious
Didn't like her to begin with and still don't. Don't respect anyone who does drugs - selfish, ruins families and lives. People who deal I despise even more selling drugs to peoples sons and daughters for money or to rapists to date rape and take advantage. The true vulgar scourges of a capitalist society where only profit matters to them.

Well if people would stop being such idiots and legalise every single drug, and put the money made into drug awareness and rehab, then we wouldn't have that problem.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Well if people would stop being such idiots and legalise every single drug, and put the money made into drug awareness and rehab, then we wouldn't have that problem.

Yes we would. The black market would still exist undercutting the legitimate market. All that would happen is the legitimate market would be taxable and high cost and the black market would mix more substances in increasing the risks and making drugs less pure - the same is happening now with alcohol because they want to cut costs so they're mixing stuff like methylated spirits in with Vodka so the pure Vodka goes further - no different to how places water down lager to make it go further. It's all about money at the end of the day - that's capitalism for you - cancerous.
I think it's a bit disrespectful, tbh :erm:. She's dead, she had a lot to deal with when growing up, give the girl a break. Yes, that's pretty horrible and no child should be left in that environment, but he's also lost his mother and probably will have next to no memories of her.

I wish people would just leave it alone. It's not as if the family don't have enough heartbreak to deal with.
It's hard to not think of her as selfish for that and for being an addict. She clearly didn't learn from her mothers death. That means she was either selfish or stupid.
She was never a big deal anyway. Famous for being famous. An example of the putrid 'celebrity' society.
Yes we would. The black market would still exist undercutting the legitimate market. All that would happen is the legitimate market would be taxable and high cost and the black market would mix more substances in increasing the risks and making drugs less pure - the same is happening now with alcohol because they want to cut costs so they're mixing stuff like methylated spirits in with Vodka so the pure Vodka goes further - no different to how places water down lager to make it go further. It's all about money at the end of the day - that's capitalism for you - cancerous.

Sorry but I simply don't see how this is plausible. All you would need to do is put a cap on the prices, making it illegal to charge say more than £x for a gram of cocaine for example. Drugs only cost so much because there is no legitimate market. Legalise them, but keep the same sentences for black market dealers, and make them so cheap that any black market wouldn't be profitable enough to be worth the risk.

It isn't the same as alcohol right now. How many bottles of vodka do you buy from a shop have methanol in them? Or water? None...

It is currently the same as prohibition in the USA during the 30s. It simply doesn't work and trying to fight it is a never ending war.
Original post by thunder_chunky
It's hard to not think of her as selfish for that and for being an addict. She clearly didn't learn from her mothers death. That means she was either selfish or stupid.
She was never a big deal anyway. Famous for being famous. An example of the putrid 'celebrity' society.

:ditto:

My opinions hasn't changed. Besides, the girl is dead....
She didn't mean to kill herself, did she? Taking drugs with a child in the house is not the smartest thing to do, but she was obviously very damaged.
Original post by Numberwang

Her baby son was found 17 hours after she killed herself around a stash of nearly 80 syringes.

1) She didn't intend to kill herself (tolerance fades very quickly for heroin so her body wasn't used to the usual dosage) and therefore wasn't intending to leave the baby alone, she hadn't planned it out like that or anything as she didn't expect to die.
2) you're making out that the baby was surrounded by these needles or something but they were hidden around the house, probably out of reach of a baby.
Opinion not changed.

She was just some worthless addict with a famous name. Good riddens.
No.

She acted the same way every Drug addict does. The Drugs come before the anyone else.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?

It isn't the same as alcohol right now. How many bottles of vodka do you buy from a shop have methanol in them? Or water? None...
There is an alcohol black market....and its slowly integrating to the legitimate market because of money......your ignorance is astounding.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/shops-inundated-with-fake-wines-and-vodkas-which-can-cause-blindness-public-warned-9603072.html

Your suggestion the black market would cease to exist is wrong. Also, you can only cap the cost of drugs to a certain point. The price of the drug would depend on numerous economic factors. You cant just say 'cocaine must cost less than £40 per gram' - even if you did that some people won't pay the £40 or can't. This drives a black market itself because addicts will either commit crimes for money to buy pure legitimate drugs or they will buy the cheaper stuff with more substances mixed in from dealers undercutting.

If you're an addict and you can buy a gram for £20 from a dealer or for £40 from a legit drugs store who will you go with? By the way, you live on state handouts and you're not in the right frame of mind - after all you're a dependant addict who wants another fix ASAP. In fact, all it would do is drive down prices, make the black market more accessible to the poor due to lower costs - drug dealers do this already themselves - they lower the prices for the first few times then as soon as you're addicted and reliant on the substance they charge the normal rate or higher.

There has been research done on it too: http://www.iea.org.uk/blog/less-affordable-alcohol-will-push-drinkers-towards-the-black-market

You are so naive its unreal. Has the non prohibiting of alcohol stopped binge drinking then or production of moonshine? Not one bit.
Reply 15
Strange how some people's minds operate.

You'd think after the pain she'd gone through, she'd have stayed clear of drugs - but at some stage she was offered drugs and despite her mother dying from the very same thing, decided to take them.

Now she's repeated the exact same cycle with her children.
You're all so narrow minded.

Peaches Geldof had had a difficult time, with her mother's death, being in the famous light, and her own demons. Addiction is an illness - even when rehabilitated, it's hard for people to not go back to their old coping mechanisms. It's not "selfish". She was ill.

I feel very sorry for her and her family and think people should stop being so judgemental

And even if a black market did exist, it would be far smaller than the black market that exists today because no one willingly buys black market vodka unlike drugs.
Good riddance peaches you selfish drug addict.

I hope it was worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is an alcohol black market....and its slowly integrating to the legitimate market because of money......your ignorance is astounding.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/shops-inundated-with-fake-wines-and-vodkas-which-can-cause-blindness-public-warned-9603072.html

Your suggestion the black market would cease to exist is wrong. Also, you can only cap the cost of drugs to a certain point. The price of the drug would depend on numerous economic factors. You cant just say 'cocaine must cost less than £40 per gram' - even if you did that some people won't pay the £40 or can't. This drives a black market itself because addicts will either commit crimes for money to buy pure legitimate drugs or they will buy the cheaper stuff with more substances mixed in from dealers undercutting.

If you're an addict and you can buy a gram for £20 from a dealer or for £40 from a legit drugs store who will you go with? By the way, you live on state handouts and you're not in the right frame of mind - after all you're a dependant addict who wants another fix ASAP. In fact, all it would do is drive down prices, make the black market more accessible to the poor due to lower costs - drug dealers do this already themselves - they lower the prices for the first few times then as soon as you're addicted and reliant on the substance they charge the normal rate or higher.

There has been research done on it too: http://www.iea.org.uk/blog/less-affordable-alcohol-will-push-drinkers-towards-the-black-market

You are so naive its unreal. Has the non prohibiting of alcohol stopped binge drinking then or production of moonshine? Not one bit.

I'll reply to this ridiculous post later. I need to return to my capitalist fueled job in my capitalist fueled society. But yeah...I'm the naive one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending