The Student Room Group

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs

Scroll to see replies

You need to prepare for job applications as you would for an exam, maybe even more so.
I only got a bachelors and had no relevant experience when I was looking for a job, but I ended up getting more offers than my friends who had both of those things. Its because I made the most of what I had. Too many people with good qualifications think that a job will just fall in their lap, but you have to work at it.
I would advise going to your careers centre and getting help with cvs,applications and interview techniques; they'll teach you how to best present yourself. If thats not an option ask somebody more successful than you for help.
To people in their final year, I recommend sacrificing a bit of time that you spend working on your degree and work on your job applications instead. After all that is the main goal for many of us at Uni.
Why is it that there are people who really work hard i.e. have about 20 different CVs and cover letters, do their research, attend CV workshops and interview techniques and can't get a job, yet there are people who have one generic CV, get called up for an interview and get the job there and then without even having to work too much?
Reply 582
Original post by Jabberwox
Why is it that there are people who really work hard i.e. have about 20 different CVs and cover letters, do their research, attend CV workshops and interview techniques and can't get a job, yet there are people who have one generic CV, get called up for an interview and get the job there and then without even having to work too much?

Content?
Reply 583
Original post by harry_
most undergraduates can get onto a scheme that allows them to study computer science for a year

Eh?

Where can you do an BSc in Comp Sci in a year? :s-smilie:
Original post by Quady
Eh?

college of fake degrees, not heard of it?

Location helps.

Somebody in rural Bedfordshire won't have too many options. I'm in West Yorkshire so there are multiple shopping districts.
Original post by harry_
Just quick:

I've worked in recruitment in the past. Computer science is not a degree that earns a lot of respect, most undergraduates can get onto a scheme that allows them to study computer science for a year, it's quite common. Sorry to say that but as someone who's job it was to filter applications I am telling you my experience.
I also expect at LEAST a 2:1, sorry.
I want to see that they were on a committee, societies, clubs etc.
I can't speak for basic jobs in shops etc, only from what I experienced.
Sorry.

That's very encouraging for the OP.
Original post by Rakas21
Regarding not been able to get a menial job, where do you live and what jobs have you applied for.

Regarding IT, the competition is significant so you need to set yourself apart. Try make a Youtube video displaying your presentation and high level abilities. Something that you can include with an application and say that while your competition can talk, you can walk.

Is it really tho?

For people who have a genuine interest in it, jobs are a lot easier here. For people who dont then its quite hard
Original post by MUN123
LOL I remember when I made this thread ! Never knew how popular it got

I know it's been a year since I've made this thread but I thought I would provide an update regarding my employment situation.
I am not in the computer science game anymore I have realized I did not enjoy the field and I have now been working at the checkouts in my local supermarket.

OP i think thats the crux of it. You have to actually enjoy IT to work in this field. Sure the money is great but no one is going yo hire any one who doesnt actually like IT

I dont mean thid in a nasty way btw
They usually know someone in the organisation who can get them a job. Who you know is far more important than what you know.
Original post by snowman77
They usually know someone in the organisation who can get them a job. Who you know is far more important than what you know.

Precisely.
Reply 591
That's my experience. Maybe some motivation...
That's very encouraging for the OP.
Reply 592
You can do a year in comp science so you graduate with, say, English with a year in computer science.
Bham do, oxford, Nottingham, Exeter all offer it in certain art subjects. A lot of student cvs I've checked have it.
Original post by Quady
Eh?

Reply 593
Original post by harry_
You can do a year in comp science so you graduate with, say, English with a year in computer science.
Bham do, oxford, Nottingham, Exeter all offer it in certain art subjects. A lot of student cvs I've checked have it.

Surely they are MSc degrees not an undergrad BSc?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 594
Original post by MUN123
LOL I remember when I made this thread ! Never knew how popular it got

I know it's been a year since I've made this thread but I thought I would provide an update regarding my employment situation.
I am not in the computer science game anymore I have realized I did not enjoy the field and I have now been working at the checkouts in my local supermarket.

Wow okay. Ended up working at the supermarket. Anyways just wondering what a levels u got? This thread is very interesting
Reply 595
Original post by harry_
Just quick:

I've worked in recruitment in the past. Computer science is not a degree that earns a lot of respect, most undergraduates can get onto a scheme that allows them to study computer science for a year, it's quite common. Sorry to say that but as someone who's job it was to filter applications I am telling you my experience.
I also expect at LEAST a 2:1, sorry.
I want to see that they were on a committee, societies, clubs etc.
I can't speak for basic jobs in shops etc, only from what I experienced.
Sorry.

Why doesn't Computer Science earn respect? I'm guessing that you weren't an IT recruiter?
Reply 596
No I don't think so... I was given the opportunity to do a year in computer science, but I didn't do it.
Original post by Quady
Surely they are MSc degrees not an undergrad BSc?
Reply 597
I worked for a company that recruited for a wide range of departments and sectors, including IT. We were looking for graphic designers, programmers etc so I was looking for people who were skilled in IT but I was looking for more. I was interested in the transferable skills from their degree (project planning, teamwork, actually being able to work independently, also writing coherently as we required them to deal with companies and large firms). We provided IT training so a degree in computer science wasn't necessary. A lot of comp science students did apply but not many made it to the never stage of interviews. The students we hired were doing degrees in law, English/journalism and history as they were the strongest. They demonstrated ability to think for themselves, planning and were able to get on with their tasks. They all got the hang of their roles relatively quickly, including data inputting, coding and graphic design (all very different). Obviously a degree can only get you so far, so don't expect that just because you have a degree in business, for example, that you'll automatically get into a top job in a firm.

Original post by Gherk
Why doesn't Computer Science earn respect? I'm guessing that you weren't an IT recruiter?
Reply 598
Original post by harry_
No I don't think so... I was given the opportunity to do a year in computer science, but I didn't do it.

Sorry could you link me to anywhere you can do an undergrad degree in Comp Sci in a year please?

Thanks in advance!
Do you have any work experience?

Quick Reply

Latest