The Student Room Group

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smash50
It depends on which university you attended. If you went to a lower tier university, then your chances of getting a a decent job are that much lower.

it's obvious you've not got a job yet
Reply 61
I am not trying to look smart, at some point in life I had the same problem...this is my advice : when you can't find a job, create yourself one!!!!
Original post by Tom_Ford
What? I got a 2.1 from a RG uni in Law with relatively minimal work. I am still out of a job since graduation in 2013. It is very difficult out there, very few jobs to give and intense competition.

CS and law are two different subjects.

I am not saying Law is easier, but CS is damn hard and that is coming from someone who obtained a 2.1
I think unis should better encourage people to look for summer internships/summer work. Also, in a field like CS, you should have considered taking a year in industry before you started your degree. Experience in the real industrial environment stands out.
Original post by NX172

But I assure you in IT, that 'hard work' was only just the beginning; as IT is one of those careers that require career-long learning. You get as much as you put in.

True. but it becomes easier once you have all of the sware engineering foundations in place.

There is only a limited amount of ways to do something properly. For example, take unit testing - you can't unit test unless you write good code which is unit testable. i.e. properly separating business logic from views/controllers. And with all the frameworks out there, it makes the process easier.

The hardest part of writing code is the steep learning curve at the beginning. Using Unit testing as an example again, a common question a lot of beginner programmers have is why should I bother unit testing my code, when I can just test it via usability testing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fat_hobbit
CS and law are two different subjects.

I am not saying Law is easier, but CS is damn hard and that is coming from someone who obtained a 2.1

Law is way harder and more competitive there is no entry test for CS with law you have to take it or you can't apply,lol. Its testing intelligence haha
Original post by SloaneRanger
Law is way harder and more competitive there is no entry test for CS with law you have to take it or you can't apply,lol. Its testing intelligence haha

My mate did Law at newcastle, he didn't have to take an entry test, and he graduated last summer.

Maybe things have changed.

I did graduate 4 years ago.
My mate did Law at newcastle, he didn't have to take an entry test, and he graduated last summer.

Umm yes I did...
I got 23 lol. (avg was 16)
LNAT.
Umm yes I did...
LNAT.

haha. It's you, you tosser.
Yeah, but tech is taking over the world. Everyday people are becoming more and more dependent on it, including lawyers.

So screw you.

You are still a nerd.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Admissions_Test_for_Law

If he graduate 4 years ago he would have gone to uni 7 years ago,lol. The world changes everyday ffs. Law/medicine/dentistry - no blagging, they test your intelligence as part of the application process. So you can't say they are harder then CS, anyone can get in with certain grades. Without doing well on the applitude test or a reasonable score, your not getting in with law.
(edited 9 years ago)
Umm yes I did...
LNAT.

Respect for that, that wasn't easy to achieve, you read about people worrying and doing bad on these tests on here.

If he graduate 4 years ago he would have gone to uni 7 years ago,lol. The world changes everyday ffs. Law/medicine/dentistry - no blagging, they test your intelligence as part of the application process. So you can't say they are harder then CS, anyone can get in with certain grades. Without doing well on the applitude test or a reasonable score, your not getting in.

Yeah well only because you are accepted onto a CS degree, does not mean you will get a good mark, as demonstrated by the OP.

At my university, the drop out rate was notoriously high. The first to drop out were hot women.

If you think its piss, write a software program/minimal bugs and lets see how you will fare.

P.S.

CS is not a popular course , never has been, unlike law - so it makes no sense to have entrance tests.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah well only because you are accepted onto a CS degree, does not mean you will get a good mark, as demonstrated by the OP.

At my university, the drop out rate was notoriously high. The first to drop out were hot women.

So thats with every course, no university wants drop outs its bad for stats and funding. That is why the best places are very particular with people hitting the grades to get in. They won't budge Aberdeen letting people in with CCC is scrapping the barrell.
So thats with every course, no university wants drop outs its bad for stats and funding. That is why the best places are very particular with people hitting the grades to get in. They won't budge Aberdeen letting people in with CCC is scrapping the barrell.

Elitest attitude yet again.

We actually had loads of people drop out/transfer from Edinburgh and St Andrews because their courses were too theoretical.

But again, I guess your opinion weights higher than mine because you studied at KCL?

Scottish unis have lower entrance requirements because scottish students do highers. So ALs are worth more.
(edited 9 years ago)
This thread is now about my legs.

(edited 9 years ago)

If he graduate 4 years ago he would have gone to uni 7 years ago,lol. The world changes everyday ffs. Law/medicine/dentistry - no blagging, they test your intelligence as part of the application process. So you can't say they are harder then CS, anyone can get in with certain grades. Without doing well on the applitude test or a reasonable score, your not getting in with law.

What are you talking about? The universities requiring the LNAT are in the minority.

And it isn't a particularly hard test, either. It's a glorified verbal reasoning test.
Elitest attitude yet again.

We actually had loads of people drop out/transfer from Edinburgh and St Andrews because their courses were too theoretical.

But again, I guess your opinion weights higher than mine because you studied at KCL?

Scottish unis have lower entrance requirements because scottish students do highers. So ALs are worth more.

People make lies to transfer, i tried to blag that with LSE telling them I wasn't interested in Development Geography. Students are always looking for excuses,LMAO. No the scottish uni have different requirements for alevel students and highers. Its marked differently and comes under a totally different qualifcation, they still have low standards, compared to better unis, im talking about aberdeen, havent see the rest.
University degrees are over rated.

Ironically for CS anyway , the higher you go up the league tables, the more theoretical the courses are (more maths, less programming) which is not good for the commercial environment.

What unis would you recommend then for a more practical approach?
Original post by Juichiro
What unis would you recommend then for a more practical approach?

Aberdeen was good to be honest. I am really fond of that department.

As I said, we had guys on the course that decided against going to places like York , or transferred from the other top scottish unis.

But if you want prestige, I would say go to one of the top ones. Imperial, Edinburgh, Warwick etc.

Quick Reply

Latest