The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
"David Tredinnick said he had spent 20 years studying astrology and healthcare and was convinced it could work."

"Mr Tredinnick said he had been right about herbal remedies and healing, which he said were now becoming accepted in parts of the NHS, and he now wanted to promote astrology, which was not just predicting the future but gaining an insight into personal problems."

Doesn't sound at all like he's thinking about placebos, he's thinking about actual treatment. Because he believes in it.

He is not thinking about placebos. He believes in it, but the mechanism by which something works is immaterial for these purposes.

Medical astrology is not a diagnostic system. It is predictive system. A lot of chronic physical illnesses, backache for one, have a psycho-social dimension and in some cases a psycho-economic dimension (it is not in someone's financial interest to get well, so they don't).

What I think he is saying is that if you tell someone that because Uranus is up their backside, they will get well in 37 days time; they do.
(edited 9 years ago)
There is a special scientific name for alternative medicines that are actually proven to work, "Medicines".
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

Astrology has a time and a place, but being part of a healthcare service is not it IMHO.

The place being at the bottom of the garden with the fairies.
This isn't new for this MP, he's fairly well known as a bit of an idiot.
Tredinnick is hilarious - he's previously called on the house to investigate the awesome power of the moon and it's effects on surgery, crime etc. The mans a complete fruitcake.
the stars told me this man is an idiot
What the actual **** :rolleyes: who put that guy in charge? He needs to go back to school.
Original post by SophieSmall
What the actual **** :rolleyes: who put that guy in charge? He needs to go back to school.

He was elected. Yep democracy...
Original post by DErasmus

Yeah there are very few positive things I could say about the politics in this country :lol:
Reply 28
Astrology has no time or place.

It's total nonsense.
Wow, how does someone like him actually get to be an MP. He thinks bullsh*t like horoscopes and other crap which is all made up would help people.
Original post by Dilzo999
Wow, how does someone like him actually get to be an MP. He thinks bullsh*t like horoscopes and other crap which is all made up would help people.

Meritocracy surely?
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Tredinnick is hilarious - he's previously called on the house to investigate the awesome power of the moon and it's effects on surgery, crime etc. The mans a complete fruitcake.

How is he even in politics...
Original post by DErasmus

I'm trying to work out what's worse, that he was selected or that people voted for him.
Reply 33
Original post by nulli tertius
He is not thinking about placebos. He believes in it, but the mechanism by which something works is immaterial for these purposes.

Medical astrology is not a diagnostic system. It is predictive system. A lot of chronic physical illnesses, backache for one, have a psycho-social dimension and in some cases a psycho-economic dimension (it is not in someone's financial interest to get well, so they don't).

What I think he is saying is that if you tell someone that because Uranus is up their backside, they will get well in 37 days time; they do.

:eek:
That devotion, you really will defend any level of fruit cakery with a blue rosette.
Original post by yo radical one
It's weird, I have noticed that right wing people are far more likely to believe really stupid bull**** like homeopathy, astrology etc.

Really? I have noticed it overwhelmingly among the left.
Original post by OllieDS
Astrology has no time or place.

It's total nonsense.

Astrology is all about time and place ironically.
Original post by nulli tertius

I tried making a thread about this once. I've seen the placebo effect work wonders. Ppl I know have been 'cured' of various things and I've wondered if it could could be utilised.
Reply 37
Original post by keromedic
I tried making a thread about this once. I've seen the placebo effect work wonders. Ppl I know have been 'cured' of various things and I've wondered if it could could be utilised.

Doesn't it work even when patients know they are receiving a placebo?
Original post by n00
Doesn't it work even when patients know they are receiving a placebo?

I don't think so? I mean it's not as if there are any mystical healing things out there!
But somehow the belief that something important has worked has cause certain people's pain to go away!
Reply 39
Original post by keromedic
I don't think so? I mean it's not as if there are any mystical healing things out there!
But somehow the belief that something important has worked has cause certain people's pain to go away!

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/dec/22/placebo-effect-patients-sham-drug

Latest

Trending

Trending