The Student Room Group

Biology or English Lit AS Level? Physics or Medicine at uni?

I am taking maths, further maths,chemistry, physics and at the moment am down for English Literature for AS.

Recently however I have been considering medicine at uni more, and quite a lot of universities want biology for medicine... on the other hand I love English Lit and it would be a contrasting subject which some universities would prefer to another science one, so I don't know whether to do biology or english lit!

I'm deciding between physics and medicine for uni, because I love physics but would also like to be a doctor.

Basically any help on choosing AS levels or degree would be appreciated! Thanks :smile: :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Look at the guide which has the table of requirements for med schools. Note how many either have a requirements or direct preference for biology, versus how many are that bothered about a non-science subject. That will answer the biology vs eng lit from a medicine perspective. Given the whole nature of a medical course, you probably want to give biology a try. You're welcome to drop it for A2, as I have a friend who did that and still got in, but english lit isn't going to do you any favours without biology on your side. Their preference would probably be for biology, and english lit, rather than further maths. I'd keep further maths though, as presumably you enjoy it, and it's very much worthwhile for physics.

What is it about medicine? Do you just like the idea, or is it really something for you? I ask this because it's a very "easy" subject to think about doing, it's there on a little pedastool with a career mapped out and everything. Your initial choice of subjects kind of suggests to me physics is probably more a natural route for you, but that's not based on much. Getting into medicine is a massive amount of work, which is enough to put someone off if you're not that fixed on it. I wouldn't want you to feel like you had to stop a subject you love, in order to take biology, to find you actually don't really want to apply for medicine. Have you done any work experience yet? I also think biology will help with UKCAT/BMAT but i'm no expert.

Biology from a physics perspective is again worth more, just in potential for biochemical engineering etc. or any chemistry routes you may go down. It's not really a big deal at all though, so you can go with english lit and not really be closing many doors.
Reply 2
If you're really keen on English lit you could always drop further maths. Unlike biology, it's not generally required for physics, although recommended in some cases, see here
Reply 3
Original post by Nymthae
Look at the guide which has the table of requirements for med schools. Note how many either have a requirements or direct preference for biology, versus how many are that bothered about a non-science subject. That will answer the biology vs eng lit from a medicine perspective. Given the whole nature of a medical course, you probably want to give biology a try. You're welcome to drop it for A2, as I have a friend who did that and still got in, but english lit isn't going to do you any favours without biology on your side. Their preference would probably be for biology, and english lit, rather than further maths. I'd keep further maths though, as presumably you enjoy it, and it's very much worthwhile for physics.

What is it about medicine? Do you just like the idea, or is it really something for you? I ask this because it's a very "easy" subject to think about doing, it's there on a little pedastool with a career mapped out and everything. Your initial choice of subjects kind of suggests to me physics is probably more a natural route for you, but that's not based on much. Getting into medicine is a massive amount of work, which is enough to put someone off if you're not that fixed on it. I wouldn't want you to feel like you had to stop a subject you love, in order to take biology, to find you actually don't really want to apply for medicine. Have you done any work experience yet? I also think biology will help with UKCAT/BMAT but i'm no expert.

Biology from a physics perspective is again worth more, just in potential for biochemical engineering etc. or any chemistry routes you may go down. It's not really a big deal at all though, so you can go with english lit and not really be closing many doors.

Thanks for the advice, I agree that biology would be a lot better than english lit if I was to apply for medicine, and it would give me a better taste of what medicine would include.

It would be a shame to have not done english lit if I didn't do medicine, but I suppose I would be sacrificing max. 2 years of english lit for a potential whole career. Its just I enjoy english lit more and have read some of the books I might study which look really interesting to analyse, and it would give me a chance to develop essay writing skills more.

I haven't done any work experience in medicine yet, but I am going to in october half term, which is unfortunately too late for me to change AS level choices!

My reasons for considering medicine are because I love working with children and being a pediatrician really appeals to me. Medicine is such a broad area though that I think there are lots of other interesting specializations to consider too- there's room for research and surgery and a gp... I also think the degree would be really interesting, but not as interesting as a physics degree... I know that it's really competitive to get offers for medicine, but I'm prepared to put lots of work in for it if I do decide to do it.
Reply 4
Original post by smile:D
If you're really keen on English lit you could always drop further maths. Unlike biology, it's not generally required for physics, although recommended in some cases, see here

Thanks for the link! It would make sense to do that, but I think I'd rather do further maths than english lit as I really like maths. Also further maths would be more useful to me than english lit if I do physics, and I've heard that some of the further maths syllabus was in the Physics Aptitude Test for entrance to oxford... :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Strawberry98
I am taking maths, further maths,chemistry, physics and at the moment am down for English Literature for AS.

Recently however I have been considering medicine at uni more, and quite a lot of universities want biology for medicine... on the other hand I love English Lit and it would be a contrasting subject which some universities would prefer to another science one, so I don't know whether to do biology or english lit!

I'm deciding between physics and medicine for uni, because I love physics but would also like to be a doctor.

Basically any help on choosing AS levels or degree would be appreciated! Thanks :smile: :confused:

Further maths is never recommended at unis, it only is for AS only. You say you love maths yet you have chose maths for a level. Honestly you don't need further maths :smile:
Reply 6

I had a friend in the same position. He kept English and took Biology AS in year 13 (self taught). That basically had universities begging him to go to them for Medicine. Hard work, but it all pays off. You could drop Physics for Biology if you are 100% sure on Medicine.
Reply 7
Original post by Gunni098
Further maths is never recommended at unis, it only is for AS only. You say you love maths yet you have chose maths for a level. Honestly you don't need further maths :smile:

I want to do further maths more than english lit though, and also I'd like to do more than just a level maths, as apparently further is a lot more interesting maths. Also I've done FSMQ which is apparently very similar to the core 1 content, but I would like to learn some new maths from the start of next year. I'd consider dropping it more if I was sure I was going into medicine, but as I am not I have decided to keep it and choose between bio and english lit... :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Adam'
I had a friend in the same position. He kept English and took Biology AS in year 13 (self taught). That basically had universities begging him to go to them for Medicine. Hard work, but it all pays off. You could drop Physics for Biology if you are 100% sure on Medicine.

I'm not going to drop physics, but what your friend did sounds like a good option which I hadn't thought of! do you know if they did four full a levels with biology AS, or three A levels? :smile:
Reply 9
I want to do further maths more than english lit though, and also I'd like to do more than just a level maths, as apparently further is a lot more interesting maths. Also I've done FSMQ which is apparently very similar to the core 1 content, but I would like to learn some new maths from the start of next year. I'd consider dropping it more if I was sure I was going into medicine, but as I am not I have decided to keep it and choose between bio and english lit... :smile:

If your not sure with doing medicine you still can do it because maths is classed as a science btw so take eng lit. It does say biology but chemistry, maths and physics is 3 sciences so I don't know why it is a problem? Is it a necessity to have biology? Or is it the "or/and" option?
Reply 10
I'm not going to drop physics, but what your friend did sounds like a good option which I hadn't thought of! do you know if they did four full a levels with biology AS, or three A levels? :smile:

Haha, they did all four full A levels with Biology AS AND Latin A level!

If you are deciding between medicine and physics at uni, it would make more sense in my opinion to do Biology.

However, I guess if you could decide between Physics and Medicine for uni, then that would help with your A Level choices.
Original post by Adam'

lol, choice of A Level subjects is not going to make universities "beg" someone to go to them for medicine...
Reply 13
Original post by Chief Wiggum
lol, choice of A Level subjects is not going to make universities "beg" someone to go to them for medicine...

It showed he could handle such a high workload. There was a slight exaggeration xD. He got all 5 of his offers though and they were very low offers too.
Original post by Adam'
It showed he could handle such a high workload. There was a slight exaggeration xD. He got all 5 of his offers though and they were very low offers too.

Presumably the medicine offers were AAA?
Reply 15
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Presumably the medicine offers were AAA?

Maybe, I don't remember, I think they may have been AAB. Not 100% sure.
Original post by Gunni098
If your not sure with doing medicine you still can do it because maths is classed as a science btw so take eng lit. It does say biology but chemistry, maths and physics is 3 sciences so I don't know why it is a problem? Is it a necessity to have biology? Or is it the "or/and" option?

It isn't essential. Oxbridge don't have a preference for it, and neither do a few other good universities from what I've heard and seen. It's just I think it would be a lot easier when applying if I had the option of applying to any university, as opposed to only the ones that didn't want biology :smile:
Thanks for the link! It would make sense to do that, but I think I'd rather do further maths than english lit as I really like maths. Also further maths would be more useful to me than english lit if I do physics, and I've heard that some of the further maths syllabus was in the Physics Aptitude Test for entrance to oxford... :smile:

In that case I think you'd have to drop english lit, otherwise you would seriously limit your medicine choices. To be honest, as other posters have noted, a contrasting subject doesn't really confer an advantage except for 1 or 2 unis.
Ah because maths is classed as oepne of the sciences don't stress because with having maths, chemistry and physics to A2 you will have a equal chance to someone with a biology A2 GCE. Therefore you can walk free happily that you can still stick with eng lit. Your welcome :biggrin:
Original post by Adam'
Haha, they did all four full A levels with Biology AS AND Latin A level!

Wow that's a lot! they must be very clever... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest