The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Official

Hi everyone!

Welcome to Newcastle University’s official Q&A thread here on The Student Room.

Our team will be responding to your queries on anything about Newcastle University. If you have any questions about student life at Newcastle, or if there is something you might like to know about studying with us, please get in touch. For any questions you may not wish to post publicly, feel free to drop the team a private message.

The site will be monitored Monday–Friday, 9am–5pm and we will aim to respond to you within 24 hours.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Newcastle University Student Room Team: Bella, Persephone, Matt and Anna
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Newcastle University
Hi everyone!

Our team will be responding to your queries on anything about Newcastle University. If you have any questions about student life at Newcastle, or if there is something you might like to know about studying with us, please get in touch. For any questions you may not wish to post publicly, feel free to drop the team a private message.

The site will be monitored Monday–Friday, 9am–5pm and we will aim to respond to you within 24 hours.

Newcastle University Student Room Team: Rachel, Matt, Anna & Peff

This makes me so happy!

When it comes to mature students, do you consider various types of qualifications? I'm also American. Thanks!
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by Coffeetime
This makes me so happy!

When it comes to mature students, do you consider various types of qualifications? I'm also American. Thanks!

Hi there,

It very much depends on which course you are wanting to study and at what level (undergraduate / postgraduate) - what do you have in mind?

Rachel
Hi there,

It very much depends on which course you are wanting to study and at what level (undergraduate / postgraduate) - what do you have in mind?

Rachel

Ancient History at undergraduate level. I do have recent academic experience.

Great choice :smile:

More information on the course and entry requirements can be found here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/vv14/courseoverview/

And if you have any further questions about entry requirements, [email protected] will be able to help!

Rachel
Great choice :smile:

More information on the course and entry requirements can be found here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/vv14/courseoverview/

And if you have any further questions about entry requirements, [email protected] will be able to help!

Rachel

Thank you. I'll have to send an email since I feel like I'm an odd mix of a student. I appreciate the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone!

Yeay!! This makes things so much easier! :biggrin:

So I was notified that there will be an international welcome week for non uk/eu students, but will uni accommodations (e.g. park terrace, victoria hall, etc) open from the start of that week?

I heard they will only open when the courses start or something... Does this mean I have to book a hotel near the uni in the meantime??? Thanks!:h:

Are you starting the course this year? Just wondering as I'm also studying Ancient history :biggrin: just trying to find people on the course :biggrin:
Original post by AbigailHope
Are you starting the course this year? Just wondering as I'm also studying Ancient history :biggrin: just trying to find people on the course :biggrin:

No :frown: I'll be applying this year. I love your avatar, btw. I have earrings that match it.
Reply 9
I have a specific question.

The entry requirements for chemical engineering is AAB - ABB but if I get BBB (worst case scenario) would there still be a chance to get a place at the course.
No :frown: I'll be applying this year. I love your avatar, btw. I have earrings that match it.

Awww shame it's not this year :frown:
Original post by AbigailHope
Awww shame it's not this year :frown:

I know! But once you get there, I'd love to hear how it is! I can't visit but I love everything I've read or watched on the university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hi, I have a question regarding entry requirements. If I got AAC for an AAB/ABB offer for chemistry, what are the chances of being accepted onto the course?
Hi everyone!

When do we move into our accommodation roughly do you know? and how lenient is the uni on missing grades very slightly, or getting the equivalents? Seems to be a common theme.... thanks
Original post by alixrebecca
When do we move into our accommodation roughly do you know? and how lenient is the uni on missing grades very slightly, or getting the equivalents? Seems to be a common theme.... thanks

Hi Alix,

Thanks for getting in touch :smile:

In terms of accommodation, we confirm accommodation within 2 weeks after A-level results day and you will receive an email confirmation from the accommodation team to explain when you can pick up your keys and move in. If you would like more specific information about accommodation, contact the enquiries team by completing this form: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/enquiries/.

Each application and course is different so we can’t say for sure. If you do miss out on your grades, the best thing to do is to contact us as soon as possible and we’ll assess your grades against the spaces available on your chosen course. On A-level results day our Clearing hotline will open at 7.30am and our Clearing website will be live later this week (http://bit.ly/1rT2BeW). It will have all of the information you need to prepare for A-level results day as well as the telephone numbers you may need to call if you don’t get the results you’re hoping for. Good luck!

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions :smile:

Rachel
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by brina24601
Yeay!! This makes things so much easier! :biggrin:

So I was notified that there will be an international welcome week for non uk/eu students, but will uni accommodations (e.g. park terrace, victoria hall, etc) open from the start of that week?

I heard they will only open when the courses start or something... Does this mean I have to book a hotel near the uni in the meantime??? Thanks!:h:

University accommodation for EU and International students will be available from Tuesday 16th to allow students to attend the International Welcome programme.

If your accommodation is a managed partnership accommodation site, you will need to contact the site once you have your room details and arrange an earlier arrival, but this will not be a problem.

Hope that helps! If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Rachel
Original post by Chem#1
Hi, I have a question regarding entry requirements. If I got AAC for an AAB/ABB offer for chemistry, what are the chances of being accepted onto the course?

Hello :smile: thanks for getting in touch!

We have been in contact with Chemistry admissions, and received the following response:

All those who miss the conditions of their offer on A level results day are automatically reconsidered by the admissions tutor for any remaining spaces. We can't guarantee anything at this stage, but grades AAC with an A in Chemistry would put you in a very strong position.

If on results day you do miss out on your grades, the best thing to do is to contact us as soon as possible and we’ll assess your grades against the spaces available. On A-level results day our Clearing hotline will open at 7.30am and our Clearing website will be live later this week (http://bit.ly/1rT2BeW). It will have all of the information you need to prepare for A-level results day as well as the telephone numbers you may need to call if you don’t get the results you’re hoping for.

I hope that helps, and good luck!

Rachel
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fuzka
I have a specific question.

The entry requirements for chemical engineering is AAB - ABB but if I get BBB (worst case scenario) would there still be a chance to get a place at the course.

Hello :smile: thanks for getting in touch!

All applicants who narrowly miss the conditions of their offer are reconsidered again together when the results are published in August. Whether we are able to accept near miss students depends on the number of applicants who have met the conditions of their offers and the number of places we have available on our programmes.

I hope that helps :smile: If you do miss out on your grades, the best thing to do is to contact us as soon as possible. On A-level results day our Clearing hotline will open at 7.30am and our Clearing website will be live later this week (http://bit.ly/1rT2BeW). It will have all of the information you need to prepare for A-level results day as well as the telephone numbers you may need to call if you don’t get the results you’re hoping for.

If you have any more questions just ask :smile: Good luck!

Rachel
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi Alix,

In terms of accommodation, we confirm accommodation within 2 weeks after A-level results day and you will receive an email confirmation from the accommodation team to explain when you can pick up your keys and move in. If you would like more specific information about accommodation, contact the enquiries team by completing this form: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/enquiries/.

Each application and course is different so we can’t say for sure. If you do miss out on your grades, the best thing to do is to contact us as soon as possible and we’ll assess your grades against the spaces available on your chosen course. On A-level results day our Clearing hotline will open at 7.30am and our Clearing website will be live later this week (www.ncl.ac.uk/clearing). It will have all of the information you need to prepare for A-level results day as well as the telephone numbers you may need to call if you don’t get the results you’re hoping for. Good luck!

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions :smile:

Rachel

Thank you for your reply! Do you know anything about when freshers is and when we can buy the wristbands? :smile:
Original post by alixrebecca
Thank you for your reply! Do you know anything about when freshers is and when we can buy the wristbands? :smile:

No problem :smile:

Freshers Week begins 21st September. Wristbands will be on sale in August and will only be available from http://nusufreshers.co.uk/.

Facebook updates can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/NUSUfreshers

And on Twitter: @NUSUfreshers

We look forward to welcoming you on campus!

Rachel
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply