The Student Room Group

Do you do cheek kissing in formal situations, I find it embarrassing

I was interested to when you do cheek kissing.
it is something I've never done but my family are not the type who go to parties and stuff. However, when we were staying at a siblings house and meeting her partner , everyone was doing it and I found it strange. I don't really like hugging either. I'm fine just saying , 'bye' .

So when will you adopt the kissing on both cheeks? And do you find it awkward?
Original post by Anonymous
I was interested to when you do cheek kissing.
it is something I've never done but my family are not the type who go to parties and stuff. However, when we were staying at a siblings house and meeting her partner , everyone was doing it and I found it strange. I don't really like hugging either. I'm fine just saying , 'bye' .

So when will you adopt the kissing on both cheeks? And do you find it awkward?

I'm kind of the same. I hate all this physcal contact, especially when I'm expected to hug some relative I barely know just because it's 'what you do.' When I go out with friends they are always hugging and stuff, it's awkward and I just stand there like :s-smilie:
I find cheek kissing a bit awkward. Thankfully it doesn't arise very much. I like hugging though :yep:
I cheek kissed the dean of admissions to my local poly after told he was gay.

Spoiler

I do because its also a cultural thing too. Its only awkward for me when its random people and random older relatives. I don't do it with friends though..
I'm okay with it. My family and close friends get cheek kissed hello and goodbye so I guess I'm just used to it
My family do it and it's very common in other countries.
Hand kissing and cheek kissing is to awks for me.
I think it's a really awkward thing that middle aged people do (in my experience, anyway), I think it's cringeworthy.
Reply 9
I would find a cheek kiss awkward unless it was from my gran since I'm used to that. Any other person I would just prefer a hug or a handshake when I leave.
I find the whole human social interaction thing embarrassing.
Reply 11
I don't know why people feel the need to touch each other when entering or leaving a social interaction. "Hi" and "Bye" are sufficient to me.
Reply 12
I feel pretty uncomfortable with it. Really I don't want to hug or kiss people I don't feel some genuine affection for. Seems most feel the same, so I wonder why it persists.

Even worse in the European meeting arena where you don't understand the 1, 2 or 3 kiss etiquette and blokes can sometimes do it too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Fish slap... thats where it is at lol
Reply 14
I feel pretty uncomfortable with it. Really I don't want to hug or kiss people I don't feel some genuine affection for

Pretty much this
Reply 15
Sometimes never intentionally by me though could be a family friend usually female though never done it with a guy definitely would not. I just go along with it it's not really a big deal for me not something I would do to anyone else though I find people especially women are really defensive of their personal space some even finding hugs uncomfortable and an invasion of their space so goodbye or hello is usually how I greet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending