The Student Room Group

Can a HNC/HND give me the qualifications I'd need to study Sociology/Anthropology?

I decided this year to return to college after being out of education for a few years, but decided on a whim to apply earlier this year. Due to the time of year I had applied, all places in Social Sciences were allocated to others and I reluctantly accepted the opportunity to pursue HNC/D Social Care.

I understand parts of this course study topics that are related or covered in Sociology, and wondered if it would be relevant enough to aid me into getting into university to study Sociology.

Admittedly, I feel foolish to compromise on something like this, but felt I had no other choice if I were to return to education this year. Having already reduced my hours in work to accommodate my study, a year would be a LOOOONG wait with nothing in between to occupy my time.

Thanks, Andrew :-)
Well I don't know anything about HNCs or HNDs but I've been accepted onto my course (Sociology and Cultural Studies) with no background in Sociology and A Levels in maths, physics and Spanish and the first year of a physics degree. So if a HNC or HND is at least equivalent to A Levels you should be able to get in somewhere.
Reply 2
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Well I don't know anything about HNCs or HNDs but I've been accepted onto my course (Sociology and Cultural Studies) with no background in Sociology and A Levels in maths, physics and Spanish and the first year of a physics degree. So if a HNC or HND is at least equivalent to A Levels you should be able to get in somewhere.

That's assuring! :-) HNC is equivalent to advanced highers in Scotland (I am not sure what the English equivalent of that is), and in many cases, HND qualifies you to begin straight into the second year of university. I'll just be sure to work hard this next year and do everything I can!

Thank you! Good luck
Original post by ndrwwlkr
That's assuring! :-) HNC is equivalent to advanced highers in Scotland (I am not sure what the English equivalent of that is), and in many cases, HND qualifies you to begin straight into the second year of university. I'll just be sure to work hard this next year and do everything I can!

Thank you! Good luck

Well then you need to work out whether you're doing a HNC or a HND. But it sounds like either should get you into uni to study what you want.
Reply 4
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Well then you need to work out whether you're doing a HNC or a HND. But it sounds like either should get you into uni to study what you want.

The choice is mine at the moment. I can complete the HNC and then apply to university, and failing that, continue on to my HND and try again next year. I'm lucky enough to be in a position where if I fail to get into uni first time round, I can continue to improve my qualifications and try again the year after :smile:
Original post by ndrwwlkr
The choice is mine at the moment. I can complete the HNC and then apply to university, and failing that, continue on to my HND and try again next year. I'm lucky enough to be in a position where if I fail to get into uni first time round, I can continue to improve my qualifications and try again the year after :smile:

If a HND is equivalent to the first year of university it might count as one of your years of funding for student finance so you might want to be careful about that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending