The Student Room Group

Help!! where should I go? Warwick or Manchester (MA History)

I am an Asian international student, currently holding offer from both University of Warwick and Manchester (MA in History).

I am very interested in cultural and material history, and both of the universities seem to offer them. However, Warwick professors seem to have much more publications in these fields; their interest in global history also very much appeal to me. (this is just assumption from their profile. Any alumni, is it true?).

However, its location and convenience put me off a bit. Manchester seems to be in the place that everything is there for you. There are many places to explore like the John Rylands library and some galleries. Manc rep is good also. I am not a night life person, but worry that, for Warwick, I have to travel long way here and there just to find food to cook and have little other cultural things to see or do at all. And I don't have such wealth to travel to Birmingham or other nearby nicer places regularly.:s-smilie:

Is history at Warwick much better (both in term of teaching and rep) that it is worth forgetting about convenience of city life I mentioned?

This will be my first time in UK or the West in general....so if you can be so kind to give more info about both courses or places, I will be very grateful thanks :colondollar:
Original post by srisurathep
I am an Asian international student, currently holding offer from both University of Warwick and Manchester (MA in History).

I am very interested in cultural and material history, and both of the universities seem to offer them. However, Warwick professors seem to have much more publications in these fields; their interest in global history also very much appeal to me. (this is just assumption from their profile. Any alumni, is it true?).

However, its location and convenience put me off a bit. Manchester seems to be in the place that everything is there for you. There are many places to explore like the John Rylands library and some galleries. Manc rep is good also. I am not a night life person, but worry that, for Warwick, I have to travel long way here and there just to find food to cook and have little other cultural things to see or do at all. And I don't have such wealth to travel to Birmingham or other nearby nicer places regularly.:s-smilie:

Is history at Warwick much better (both in term of teaching and rep) that it is worth forgetting about convenience of city life I mentioned?

This will be my first time in UK or the West in general....so if you can be so kind to give more info about both courses or places, I will be very grateful thanks :colondollar:

It sounds like you prefer Warwick overall. I haven't been to either city either (I'm American) but I would rather be happy with the university and less into the city. If going out isn't important, then you shouldn't worry about it. I'm sure Coventry and other nearby areas would be fine for entertainment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending