The Student Room Group

Do you celebrate your birthday?

I stopped celebrating around 16 but before then I pretty much went out on all my birthdays to either bowling or to eat out in a fancy restaurant after shopping or just spending it out with friends. Sometimes I even had a celebratory BBQ because it's in the summer :woo:

Now for me the best part is being able to use the excuse "but it's my birthday" and enjoy others slaving away for me :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dilsz
I stopped celebrating around 16 but before then I pretty much went out on all my birthdays to either bowling or to eat out in a fancy restaurant after shopping or just spending it out with friends. Sometimes I even had a celebratory BBQ because it's in the summer :woo:

Now for me the best part is being able to use the excuse "but it's my birthday" and enjoy others slaving away for me :biggrin:

Only milestone birthdays!
Nope not at all. I don't really care tbh and I don't really want to. Other than saying, "yay I'm __ now" no. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I usually eat out with family/friends. Nothing too special lol
No. I was raised in the JW faith where celebrating the occasion is prohibited. I'm free to now but don't have enough friends in any particular place to do a celebration.

Perhaps in uni!
I'm still yet to plan my birthday outing (had my birthday in February) better get on it now :teehee:
how am I not meant to celebrate my birthday :confused:
Reply 7
If we have the money yes but even then its nothing big. I just moan at my bf to treat me to a takeaway and that's my bday sorted :tongue:
its your birthday so i know you want to ride out....:colone:
Original post by keromedic
No. I was raised in the JW faith where celebrating the occasion is prohibited. I'm free to now but don't have enough friends in any particular place to do a celebration.

Perhaps in uni!

I've always wondered , why is it prohibited?
Original post by MidnightDream
I'm still yet to plan my birthday outing (had my birthday in February) better get on it now :teehee:

that was ages ago haha
Original post by Secretnerd123
I've always wondered , why is it prohibited?

Because on two occasions, an individual was decapitated at a birthday celebration.
Consequently, the powers that be in JW-land inferred that celebrating birthdays celebrations is sinful.
Reply 12
Not since I was 11. Millions of people share their birthday with me. It is nothing special. Just another day for me. My family want me to celebrate it though. So I booked a driving lesson for my next birthday. That way i'll spend an hour less with the cheeseyness.
Because on two occasions, an individual was decapitated at a birthday celebration.
Consequently, the powers that be in JW-land inferred that celebrating birthdays celebrations is sinful.

What year did they make this rule?
My birthday is New Years Day so everyone is always hanging on my birthday, including myself. Suits me though, I'm not really into celebrating the day I was born (maybe because I never have). I do try and get my Mam something little on my birthday though, by way of thanks, y'know, for giving birth to me (nice to start the new year off with a challenge too: not sicking up on her).
:yucky:
I used to. but now i realise how crap my life is i don't bother anymore. It's not a 'happy' occasion for me anyway
:frown:
No, I had a grandparent I was really close to pass away on my birthday so every year the thought of celebrating after visiting a grave yard doesn't seem right lol, I go all out for Christmas, though. :smile:
Yess i do celebrate my bday😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Secretnerd123
What year did they make this rule?

Uh...
Usually I'd say "google it" but I'll make the exception x.
1951 as far as I can see. So relatively recent!
Uh...
Usually I'd say "google it" but I'll make the exception x.
1951 as far as I can see. So relatively recent!

Oh I see :smile: thanks for telling me. You learn something new everyday!

Quick Reply