The Student Room Group

Getting into consulting without an internship

Hey--

I'm looking at applying to consulting firms for 2015 entry this year. I don't think I'm interested in the Big 4, more dedicated strategy / some smaller "boutique" firms (ideally more globally-oriented firms appeal). While I think my extra-curricular activities / student society experience should be quite good (I've been involved in student journalism, debating, and putting on big events), a stumbling block is that my work experience to date has been limited to journalism and advertising; I'm doing a 2-week placement in late August/September in a small London based consultancy that focuses more on corporate governance and business intelligence than on strategy, since I missed the deadlines for the bigger schemes. Given that I am at Cambridge, what level of firm would it be realistic for me to aim at? Will my lack of strategy experience make applications to firms like, say, BCG or Bain a waste of time?
(edited 9 years ago)
You're applying for grad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
You're applying for grad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, sorry, I forgot to say, I'm going into my final year.

(Though I am also thinking about doing an internship over the summer--I know a lot of people claim to be 'thinking about doing a masters next year' in order to be eligible for schemes meant for 2nd years)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TritonSails
Yeah, sorry, I forgot to say, I'm going into my final year.

(Though I am also thinking about doing an internship over the summer--I know a lot of people claim to be 'thinking about doing a masters next year' in order to be eligible for schemes meant for 2nd years)

I think you'll be hard pressed to get a full time job with no experience. Better to go down the internship route. Also look for off cycle stuff and other opportunities for during the school year next year (the best way to find these is to just email people).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
I think you'll be hard pressed to get a full time job with no experience. Better to go down the internship route. Also look for off cycle stuff and other opportunities for during the school year next year (the best way to find these is to just email people).

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you don't think the experience with a consultancy in a slightly different area will suffice? I'll go for that, yeah.
So you don't think the experience with a consultancy in a slightly different area will suffice? I'll go for that, yeah.

Not if it's only a two week thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Internships are an IB obsession, not consulting. Plan your next term carefully, because from the 1st day of term or even before, all the major consulting firms will be visiting Cambridge and you can get the facts about applications and your chances direct from them. The Stuart House schedule goes up in mid-September, get organised and get on top of who is visiting when and get to as many presentations as possible.
Reply 7
I really don't think you have closed off all your options because you don't have a formal consulting internship. I don't have one in consulting (I had a 3 month internship in Education this summer) and all the big firms (Accenture and Deloitte) haven't rejected me yet and i'm through to interview. Consulting (and IB) are really not picky with degrees or experience as long as you can show that the skills are transferable. For all you know your first client could be a newspaper and you are in a better place to deal with that than someone who worked with Barclays all summer, regardless of whether they were a consultant or not.

Off cycle placements wouldn't hurt, but I don't think you're in a bad position at all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending