The Student Room Group

Claiming JSA just before UNI course starts

Hi,

I'm in a situation where I would like to claim some Job Seeker's Allowance just before my University course starts. I am already enrolled and start in late September. I have also claimed student loan.

Am I eligible to claim JSA legitimately? If no, and I wouldnt tell the full truth on the applications they have given me will I be in any way sanctioned when revealed e.g. Student Finance claim put as "No, I don't claim it..."

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Redundant
Hi,

I'm in a situation where I would like to claim some Job Seeker's Allowance just before my University course starts. I am already enrolled and start in late September. I have also claimed student loan.

Am I eligible to claim JSA legitimately? If no, and I wouldnt tell the full truth on the applications they have given me will I be in any way sanctioned when revealed e.g. Student Finance claim put as "No, I don't claim it..."

Thanks

Are you sure you're actually enrolled? usually enrollment happens one week or less before the start of teaching.

Anyway you're all clear afaik because the student finance, when it arrives, is meant to cover you just for the period you're a full time student.
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
Are you sure you're actually enrolled? usually enrollment happens one week or less before the start of teaching.

Anyway you're all clear afaik because the student finance, when it arrives, is meant to cover you just for the period you're a full time student.

I am 100% certain that I am already enrolled. It's actually a Foundation Degreee course.

However, I'm still unsure whether it's as easy as you say. Can someone else also please share their experiences/knowledge on the subject?
I am 100% certain that I am already enrolled. It's actually a Foundation Degreee course.

However, I'm still unsure whether it's as easy as you say. Can someone else also please share their experiences/knowledge on the subject?

I'd give the uni a bell on monday for clarification because I think you're probably 'pre-enrolled' or something.

several people claiming to have claimed JSA last year before starting uni on this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2405951&page=3&p=43561692#post43561692

you're only misleading them slightly about being prepared to take on a job - it wouldn't be a double source of income for the period between losing your job and the period covered by student finance. if you paid national insurance at your last job you might be getting contribution based JSA and you'd have several months before they start trying to force you to take any job.

you're not in a materially different situation than someone who lost their job and then got a place on a course at the very last minute.

once you've started uni you're definitely not allowed to claim JSA during the vacations though.
Reply 4
Original post by Joinedup
I'd give the uni a bell on monday for clarification because I think you're probably 'pre-enrolled' or something.

several people claiming to have claimed JSA last year before starting uni on this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2405951&page=3&p=43561692#post43561692

you're only misleading them slightly about being prepared to take on a job - it wouldn't be a double source of income for the period between losing your job and the period covered by student finance. if you paid national insurance at your last job you might be getting contribution based JSA and you'd have several months before they start trying to force you to take any job.

you're not in a materially different situation than someone who lost their job and then got a place on a course at the very last minute.

once you've started uni you're definitely not allowed to claim JSA during the vacations though.

You are correct. It's pre-enrolment. Enrolment takes place in early September.
Reply 5
Hi,

Thanks

Yes you're eligible for JSA.

Claim it and obviously make sure you apply for enough jobs a week so you avoid sanctions.

Also don't tell them you're going to University because they'll see you as someone who isn't really after a Full-Time Permanent job.
You need to check whether your parents are claiming child benefits for you. They may be more than JSA, which is £57 something per week.
Reply 7
Original post by OU Student
You need to check whether your parents are claiming child benefits for you. They may be more than JSA, which is £57 something per week.

I've already checked. I am 22 so no Child Benefits are being claimed. :wink:

Thank you for your reply guys, you've been helpful and I could really use some extra money before UNI starts.
Hi,

Thanks

I tried to claim last month so I could get housing benefit until i start uni in Sept. They said I cannot claim until the end of the academic year (which Job Centre said is end of August). I am now expected to pay for my rent & household costs out of the remainder of my student loan.
Original post by LondonLove29
I tried to claim last month so I could get housing benefit until i start uni in Sept. They said I cannot claim until the end of the academic year (which Job Centre said is end of August). I am now expected to pay for my rent & household costs out of the remainder of my student loan.

Uni students (apart from those with children) and /or disabilities and receive DLA/PIP) aren't entitled to benefits over the summer.
I did it.

I was made redundant in the end of June, had JSA around July. Ended it just before uni started. They don't ask you if you intend on going to univeristy, so there's no need to lie.
(edited 9 years ago)
Uni students (apart from those with children) and /or disabilities and receive DLA/PIP) aren't entitled to benefits over the summer.

I withdrew from my course in Easter so I didnt receive my last student loan instalment. Until I get a job how does the government expect me afford basic essentials?
This should be fine. I'm doing it until I leave in September.
Reply 13
Hey, just to update anyone that has any concerns about this in the future. I am now claiming JSA and will end sometime when my UNI course starts. They did not ask me if I want to go to UNI but asked whether I will be intersted in further taking any part-time courses that they offered.

Although I also have one question that concerns me because my last sign-in date would be 1st Sept, and my course starts on the 8th Sept. I would obviously like to receive this last transfer, and would sign off on the 15th. Would that be a problem for Job Center in any way?
Hey, just to update anyone that has any concerns about this in the future. I am now claiming JSA and will end sometime when my UNI course starts. They did not ask me if I want to go to UNI but asked whether I will be intersted in further taking any part-time courses that they offered.

Although I also have one question that concerns me because my last sign-in date would be 1st Sept, and my course starts on the 8th Sept. I would obviously like to receive this last transfer, and would sign off on the 15th. Would that be a problem for Job Center in any way?

I'd sign off after you get your last payment but before you start your course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You won't be able to sign off on the 15th as you'd be classed as a full time student by then.
Reply 16
You won't be able to sign off on the 15th as you'd be classed as a full time student by then.

Okey, in that circumstance I'd have to sign off on or before 8th Sept and would only get half of the money which I want to avoid. Would they check in any way that my course actually starts on the 8th and not when I officially sign out personally?
Okey, in that circumstance I'd have to sign off on or before 8th Sept and would only get half of the money which I want to avoid. Would they check in any way that my course actually starts on the 8th and not when I officially sign out personally?

Unlikely. You don't have to give a reason as to why you're signing off.
Reply 18
Unlikely. You don't have to give a reason as to why you're signing off.

That's great in that circumstance. Every penny counts for a student :smile:
I remember putting down that I was in full time education as a reason for closing my JSA claim. I was never asked anything further about it. It was just "your claim has been closed due to a change in circumstance. This is because you're now in full time education".

Latest

Trending

Trending