The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lol, its alright for some ... my semester has started. Which of the BCL courses are you doing by the way Laura, for some reason I am developing a worrying tendency toward undertaking postgrad study and am curious to know stuff about it! How much does it cost and is it like similar prices for the them all? Also, did you get any scholarship or anything?
Reply 2
Hey Laura babe, hope you're feeling better today :smile:

Sheffield have sent me some prep work to go through for the LPC, but I still haven't tackled it yet - trying to get all my house stuff and winter horse prep done before uni so I don't have too much on my plate come September / October! :wink:

Ethereal has done his though :biggrin: :cool:
i am currently awaiting the arrival of 'modern equity' by Hanbury and Martin. i can hardly contain my excitement at the prospect of reading up on property 2 in the evenings after work :rolleyes:
woah, whats property 2 is it personal property like choses in action, sale of goods, conversion, trespass etc etc or is it like extended land law or is it equity and trusts?

i hate the way unis have all different name for modules, they should just standardise so I know when someone says "land law" what it is!!
Lewis-HuStuJCR
woah, whats property 2 is it personal property like choses in action, sale of goods, conversion, trespass etc etc or is it like extended land law or is it equity and trusts?

i hate the way unis have all different name for modules, they should just standardise so I know when someone says "land law" what it is!!

lol, i know! basically an extension of land law that we didn't cover in property 1, equity and trusts.
How is sheffield? I was going to go there up until really late when Nottm sent my offer through, in the end they weren't even my insurance as grades were same as Nottm... sheffield would have been a bit of a laugh I reckon.

Sheffield were the best uni for getting offers through, I had one within a week of applying, they were so fast I was well impressed. All unis should take a leaf out of their book! Hope the rest of their admin is up to scratch, tehres nothing mroe annoying than rubbish admin.
Reply 7
Am impressed by any pre reading as I never did any as an undergrad!! Lewis, my offer of a chat about life as a postgrad still stands if you want to chat at a later stage. As for moi - copies of "Risk Society: Towards a New Modernity" By Beck and "The Consequences of Modernity" by Giddens are sitting at my desk waiting to be read. Have been avoiding them all year and have to read them now *gulp*...!:smile:
Lewis-HuStuJCR
How is sheffield? I was going to go there up until really late when Nottm sent my offer through, in the end they weren't even my insurance as grades were same as Nottm... sheffield would have been a bit of a laugh I reckon.

Sheffield were the best uni for getting offers through, I had one within a week of applying, they were so fast I was well impressed. All unis should take a leaf out of their book! Hope the rest of their admin is up to scratch, tehres nothing mroe annoying than rubbish admin.

Sheffield is fantabulous, definately the right choice for me :biggrin: nightlife is AMAZING, people are great and the course is gd too! cant wait to get back!

I also agree about getting offers quickly-i got mine about 4 days after my application was sent off, boosted my confidence enormously :smile:
Yea, but you aint got an Ocean in Sheffield ... a key component of any student schedule of nights out. Nottm was always my second choice behind cambridge (Which I think wasn't for me anyway) ... despite the fact that I had never seen the campus until I had it as firm choice. Some would say this was an erroneous decision, but I could tell just by reading I would love it :wink:.
I have not picked my courses yet, so I don't know what books to read. U can apply for AHRC funding for the BCL. I am looking at examiners reports to see what looks ok at the moment.

Geez how nice of Sheffield Ellewoods :smile: -they should n't have
Reply 11
I know this is extremely sad and probably a bit hypocritical, but I want some pre-semester reading. I just want to get my teeth stuck into the subject that I know i'll love!!!
Reply 12
ellewoods
Hey Laura babe, hope you're feeling better today :smile:

Sheffield have sent me some prep work to go through for the LPC, but I still haven't tackled it yet - trying to get all my house stuff and winter horse prep done before uni so I don't have too much on my plate come September / October! :wink:

Ethereal has done his though :biggrin: :cool:

he won't be helping you though :p:
Reply 13
Ethereal
he won't be helping you though :p:

Was once enough?:smile: I saw some of it in the staff room, it looked..erm..well..yeah..lets just say I took one look and backed off very s l o w l y!!:smile:
Reply 14
Once what enough? Once through the reading? I had a quick squiz at the material on the open day and it didn't look too bad.
Reply 15
Ahh ok:smile: I just remember it looking vaguely commercial and thinking "yes that was why the academic route was right for me!!:smile:
Reply 16
I didn't look at the commerical :wink:

I'm taking both routes. Doing the LPC followed by a training contract and applying to Durham to do a part timr PhD too.
Reply 17
Ethereal
I'm taking both routes. Doing the LPC followed by a training contract and applying to Durham to do a part timr PhD too.

Hopefully not at the same time?! If you want a chat about life as a PhD student let me know, can pass on a bit of advice and some good books to read etc..is certainly v different even from a masters so offer is always there if you want:smile:
Reply 18
I'm starting the LPC at the College of Law in september, and we have been told to complete online tests on the compulsory subjects which we have studied a degree level.........and i've done nothing:eek: *considers looking at past lecture notes*
Reply 19
I haven't had the chance to do any pre-reading though I really did intend to. Honest. Just quite busy with my job and sorting out my flat xxx.

Latest

Trending

Trending