The Student Room Group

BIGGEST PANIC IN MY LIFE - in gcse history

The biggest panic I've had in my life... Long-ish, but worth it!

To set the scene a bit: so it's one of my final exams, out of 27 (I did 14 subjects) to be precise, in summer 2013. It was the sources paper of my history GCSE: I had nailed the mock with a promising full UMS and the other history units went decent, so I was justifiably quite confident. But with a twist...

So the exam begins. As I was prepared the first 6 marker, 8 then 10 were a breeze, and this exam was pretty time pressured to be honest but at this point I was still in good shape in terms of time and the standard of what I produced, I think.

Attached to this post is the next 10 marker I was faced with. It asked to look at D & E, describe it as evidence of the Dig for Victory campaign? The careful nutter I am, I looked at B & C (WHICH I HAD JUST USED), they had absolutely NOTHING to do with any sort of campaign, as you can see from my attachment. Oh that's fine, I said, that means I shall write an essay about how it is bad as evidence of the campaign then! (it's possible that they would come up with something as bad evidence and make you argue that case, though it was probably unlikely)

So there I am: I had ample time so I wrote a generous 2 page, polished answer to this question. 'Gotta be 10/10' I said to myself, as I turned the page to the final question, and the clock is ticking. The last 25 marker asks to look at A-F. Wait, hang on! I'd only used A-C and not even seen D, E and F, am I missing a question or what? I turn back, and realise my mistake.

At this point panic mode began. I had about 20 minutes to write five pages, and the A* which I knew my history teacher wouldn't stop taking the piss about if I'd missed it and until now had pretty much 'assumed' I would get, was now on the line. I thought my 2 years of work was all down the drain because of this. I began to shiver (apparently also causing my friend's table behind me to shake) and simultaneously scribbled my beautiful answer while raising my hand asking for paper. The invigilator started to walk to me at about 0.5 mph, until I gave a gesture for him to get his bum to me asap, at which point he realised my desperation and leaped towards me with a stack of paper.

I would rather go on the downhill part of the Stealth rollercoaster in thorpe park for 20 minutes straight than live that time in that history exam again. That 20 minutes seemed like 5, and all I remember was firmly believing I could do it though I only managed to write the briefest, crappiest, messiest, poo I'd ever written.

I walked out of that disgusted, and I went to my history teacher and told him the story and we just prayed for the best :frown:.

What happened at last?

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Omghacklol
The biggest panic I've had in my life... Long-ish, but worth it!

To set the scene a bit: so it's one of my final exams, out of 27 (I did 14 subjects) to be precise, in summer 2013. It was the sources paper of my history GCSE: I had nailed the mock with a promising full UMS and the other history units went decent, so I was justifiably quite confident. But with a twist...

So the exam begins. As I was prepared the first 6 marker, 8 then 10 were a breeze, and this exam was pretty time pressured to be honest but at this point I was still in good shape in terms of time and the standard of what I produced, I think.

Attached to this post is the next 10 marker I was faced with. It asked to look at D & E, describe it as evidence of the Dig for Victory campaign? The careful nutter I am, I looked at B & C (WHICH I HAD JUST USED), they had absolutely NOTHING to do with any sort of campaign, as you can see from my attachment. Oh that's fine, I said, that means I shall write an essay about how it is bad as evidence of the campaign then! (it's possible that they would come up with something as bad evidence and make you argue that case, though it was probably unlikely)

So there I am: I had ample time so I wrote a generous 2 page, polished answer to this question. 'Gotta be 10/10' I said to myself, as I turned the page to the final question, and the clock is ticking. The last 25 marker asks to look at A-F. Wait, hang on! I'd only used A-C and not even seen D, E and F, am I missing a question or what? I turn back, and realise my mistake.

At this point panic mode began. I had about 20 minutes to write five pages, and the A* which I knew my history teacher wouldn't stop taking the piss about if I'd missed it and until now had pretty much 'assumed' I would get, was now on the line. I thought my 2 years of work was all down the drain because of this. I began to shiver (apparently also causing my friend's table behind me to shake) and simultaneously scribbled my beautiful answer while raising my hand asking for paper. The invigilator started to walk to me at about 0.5 mph, until I gave a gesture for him to get his bum to me asap, at which point he realised my desperation and leaped towards me with a stack of paper.

I would rather go on the downhill part of the Stealth rollercoaster in thorpe park for 20 minutes straight than live that time in that history exam again. That 20 minutes seemed like 5, and all I remember was firmly believing I could do it though I only managed to write the briefest, crappiest, messiest, poo I'd ever written.

I walked out of that disgusted, and I went to my history teacher and told him the story and we just prayed for the best :frown:.

What happened at last?

Spoiler

I worry for you when you enter the real world
Reply 2
Original post by DelBoy12
I worry for you when you enter the real world

:biggrin:
u sound like a private educated kid. true?
Please don't join the military. That's all I've got to say.
Ah well done!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest