The Student Room Group

Should I go through clearing or take this job?

Hey guys,
I need some advice. This year I applied to uni for a course which I realised (too late) that I didn't want to do. I then underwent work experience and decided I wanted to do Occupational Therapy;I also underwent other activities to strengthen my application (I was already volunteering, I read books, went on a workshop etc.) I was told that Occupational Therapy was pretty likely to come up in clearing (two universities were already offering it through clearing) so I was pretty determined to go through clearing. However, yesterday, I got offered a great job as a Health Care Assistant for six months in a Hospital and I am curious as to what I should do next. This Health Care Assistant Job would strengthen my application for university next year (if I chose to accept it) and would be a great bonus to my CV when I have graduated and are looking for jobs (not to mention my future CPD folder) and it would give me the chance to get into the university that I desperately want to get into as opposed to a uni which I was offered through clearing. However, it would mean putting university off for another year which I really wouldn't want to do.
Any advice? Should I go through clearing or not?
Thanks guys
Take the job, and apply for the uni you really want to go to, next year. A year out will be beneficial for you.
Original post by LouieSax
Hey guys,
I need some advice. This year I applied to uni for a course which I realised (too late) that I didn't want to do. I then underwent work experience and decided I wanted to do Occupational Therapy;I also underwent other activities to strengthen my application (I was already volunteering, I read books, went on a workshop etc.) I was told that Occupational Therapy was pretty likely to come up in clearing (two universities were already offering it through clearing) so I was pretty determined to go through clearing. However, yesterday, I got offered a great job as a Health Care Assistant for six months in a Hospital and I am curious as to what I should do next. This Health Care Assistant Job would strengthen my application for university next year (if I chose to accept it) and would be a great bonus to my CV when I have graduated and are looking for jobs (not to mention my future CPD folder) and it would give me the chance to get into the university that I desperately want to get into as opposed to a uni which I was offered through clearing. However, it would mean putting university off for another year which I really wouldn't want to do.
Any advice? Should I go through clearing or not?
Thanks guys

I would say go for the job and take a gap year, going through clearing is tough because even if you get your place in uni. You got to sort out accommodation, student finance and everything else which is tricky. Also time flies, so don't worry about taking a year out will affect you apart from learning but your job will give you life experience and make contacts and develop your employability. But end of the day, its up to you.

Advantages for a gap year are:
Saving money and finance
Gain work experience
Clearer plans
Better chance of going to better university
Time for travelling and holidays

Good luck
Reply 3
Original post by Vibenation
I would say go for the job and take a gap year, going through clearing is tough because even if you get your place in uni. You got to sort out accommodation, student finance and everything else which is tricky. Also time flies, so don't worry about taking a year out will affect you apart from learning but your job will give you life experience and make contacts and develop your employability. But end of the day, its up to you.

Advantages for a gap year are:
Saving money and finance
Gain work experience
Clearer plans
Better chance of going to better university
Time for travelling and holidays

Good luck

Original post by Crumpet1
Take the job, and apply for the uni you really want to go to, next year. A year out will be beneficial for you.

Thanks all, I really appreciate the help! I'll talk to my parents and get their opinions first, I'm just a bit worried that I'll be going to university and I'll be the oldest one there. Out of interest, do you think having this job, will improve my chances of employment for the future? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thank You :smile:
Reply 4
Obviously the job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thanks all, I really appreciate the help! I'll talk to my parents and get their opinions first, I'm just a bit worried that I'll be going to university and I'll be the oldest one there. Out of interest, do you think having this job, will improve my chances of employment for the future? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Yeah I think having a job will help improve your chances of employment after you graduate. As others have said it'll also improve your application for next year and give you a chance to save some money for university. I wouldn't worry about being too old for university I was 26 when I started my degree and their were people older than me on my course, one man was in his 70s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will NOT be the oldest one there! Take the job, clear your head, go to university when you're ready.

Im taking a gap year and had the same thought but then again you'll only ve a year older which isn't that nad plus im sure u wouldnt be the only person in that uni to take a gap year. Considering your circumstances I think a gap year would be good and allow u to apply to a gd uni not just the ones at clearing because your paying to go to uni so it might as well be the one u want to go to not just the ones that are left

Posted from TSR Mobile
I started uni, when I was 20 years old. Personally just my life experience and work experience puts me in a far better place then I would have been if I was to go any early. Whatever you want to do in life, go for it.

My friend did OT and was the youngest there at 19. The majority were in their 20s and some were in their 30s/40s/50s.
Reply 10
Original post by Shelly_x
My friend did OT and was the youngest there at 19. The majority were in their 20s and some were in their 30s/40s/50s.

Original post by Vibenation
I started uni, when I was 20 years old. Personally just my life experience and work experience puts me in a far better place then I would have been if I was to go any early. Whatever you want to do in life, go for it.

Original post by Teddysmith123
Im taking a gap year and had the same thought but then again you'll only ve a year older which isn't that nad plus im sure u wouldnt be the only person in that uni to take a gap year. Considering your circumstances I think a gap year would be good and allow u to apply to a gd uni not just the ones at clearing because your paying to go to uni so it might as well be the one u want to go to not just the ones that are left

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by carnationlilyrose
You will NOT be the oldest one there! Take the job, clear your head, go to university when you're ready.

Original post by gemmam
Yeah I think having a job will help improve your chances of employment after you graduate. As others have said it'll also improve your application for next year and give you a chance to save some money for university. I wouldn't worry about being too old for university I was 26 when I started my degree and their were people older than me on my course, one man was in his 70s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Ana81
Obviously the job

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks all I really appreciate it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending