The Student Room Group

How much extra reading for Law?

So far I have read 4 books:
'Law: A Very Short Introduction' by Wacks
'What about Law?' by Bernard et al
'The Concept of Law' by Hart
'Letters to a Law Student' by McBride

Should I do some more extra reading or do I have enough? I would like to do more but the problem is I only have a small window to read as I am working full time till August 21st, and then I need to complete my personal statement for the first day of school which is September 4th.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
You don't need to have done a whole list of books to go on to study law, I didn't do any of that before my personal statement! When I thought about applying for law, I just skimmed through a couple books in my college library and took out a DVD on joint enterprise to see if law interested me. I found it did , then my personal statement just reflected on why I was interested in law, what made me the right candidate and backing these points up with evidence of skills relevant to the course :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Undisclosed 15
So far I have read 4 books:
'Law: A Very Short Introduction' by Wacks
'What about Law?' by Bernard et al
'The Concept of Law' by Hart
'Letters to a Law Student' by McBride

Should I do some more extra reading or do I have enough? I would like to do more but the problem is I only have a small window to read as I am working full time till August 21st, and then I need to complete my personal statement for the first day of school which is September 4th.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you should be reading these books purely for the reason of being able to name drop them in your personal statement. You should be doing it because you are interested and curious, you can't put a number on how many books you should read. Personally, I had read around 8-10 books by the time I applied yet only discussed 2 of them in my PS. I wouldn't suggest making reference to more than 2, maybe 3 at a push in your PS as it may come across as simply name dropping without having any real significance.

Come on, you have plenty of time to read more. Working full time doesn't matter, you have evenings, lunch breaks etc, if you're interested you will easily find time. Then two weeks to complete your PS definitely won't take up much, the reading doesn't have to stop then either.

Check out 'The Rule of Law' by Tom Bingham - great book. Also, Lord Denning has 3/4 that are all excellent, would definitely suggest reading those.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Unsworth
I don't think you should be reading these books purely for the reason of being able to name drop them in your personal statement. You should be doing it because you are interested and curious, you can't put a number on how many books you should read. Personally, I had read around 8-10 books by the time I applied yet only discussed 2 of them in my PS. I wouldn't suggest making reference to more than 2, maybe 3 at a push in your PS as it may come across as simply name dropping without having any real significance.

Come on, you have plenty of time to read more. Working full time doesn't matter, you have evenings, lunch breaks etc, if you're interested you will easily find time. Then two weeks to complete your PS definitely won't take up much, the reading doesn't have to stop then either.

Check out 'The Rule of Law' by Tom Bingham - great book. Also, Lord Denning has 3/4 that are all excellent, would definitely suggest reading those.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see your points. As for the the working full time issue, my lunch breaks are only half an hour and when I get home I am knackered as my job entails walking around all day in 30+ degree heat. I understand I shouldnt read just to mention it on my ps but if I dont have enough reading, I will read now rather than after I make my ps.

As for 'The Rule of Law', what makes it a great book. Is it verbose or succinct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see your points. As for the the working full time issue, my lunch breaks are only half an hour and when I get home I am knackered as my job entails walking around all day in 30+ degree heat. I understand I shouldnt read just to mention it on my ps but if I dont have enough reading, I will read now rather than after I make my ps.

As for 'The Rule of Law', what makes it a great book. Is it verbose or succinct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you must get days off? And unless you are doing 12 hour days I still don't see how you wouldn't have time to do any reading. Even failing so, you could easily read 3/4 books in the time between finishing full time work and going back to school.

It's a very succinct, short book and one which I read in a couple of days, however I have re-read it since then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well you must get days off? And unless you are doing 12 hour days I still don't see how you wouldn't have time to do any reading. Even failing so, you could easily read 3/4 books in the time between finishing full time work and going back to school.

It's a very succinct, short book and one which I read in a couple of days, however I have re-read it since then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, 1 day off during which I play various sports for most of the day. I have some time after work but I am tired. I will have a look at the book and if I like the look of it, I will read it once I have finished work. Thanks for your recommendation.

How much detail did you go into on your ps about each book?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, 1 day off during which I play various sports for most of the day. I have some time after work but I am tired. I will have a look at the book and if I like the look of it, I will read it once I have finished work. Thanks for your recommendation.

How much detail did you go into on your ps about each book?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Umm can't quite remember. The first I mentioned I had a paragraph talking about a statute that I didn't think was satisfactory, explained my reasons why and then put forward what I think would be a better solution. In doing this I made reference to one of the books as my solution was similar to something that had been discussed in it. The second book I spoke about I think I gave about 3 lines to in a paragraph that wasn't solely focussed on the book.

Did have interviews at Cambridge and they didn't question me at all on anything to do with my personal statement, let alone the books I had mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Umm can't quite remember. The first I mentioned I had a paragraph talking about a statute that I didn't think was satisfactory, explained my reasons why and then put forward what I think would be a better solution. In doing this I made reference to one of the books as my solution was similar to something that had been discussed in it. The second book I spoke about I think I gave about 3 lines to in a paragraph that wasn't solely focussed on the book.

Did have interviews at Cambridge and they didn't question me at all on anything to do with my personal statement, let alone the books I had mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you at Cambridge now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you at Cambridge now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope will be going to either Durham or Bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope will be going to either Durham or Bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you get in your A levels and what subjects did you take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are certain law journals you could read which would benefit a PS more imo because Uni law courses start you from scratch. What's the point in learning something they'll teach you anyway? It'll just make your first year slightly easier and it'll be really deceptive when you get smashed with really difficult modules after that, or that's what I've been warned anyway.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
You could read a few legal cases. Particularly some of the more interesting recent ones.
Think outside the box there are loads of good texts and not just the standard student textbooks either. Broaden your horizons OP and don't just read about the law, read around jurisprudence and matters such as debates surrounding the various issues. Why co fine yourself to just law?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending