The Student Room Group

Thinking PGCE was a mistake

Teacher of English with ESOL elements.

I'm 24 months in with teaching experience before my PGCE but simply cannot find any consistent work, effectively I work day supply, which means wait by the phone each morning to see if you're needed.

This means I haven't done my NQT year yet.

Looking at my cohort of PGCE only 2 of them found full time jobs in colleges teaching GCSE English, the rest about half went back to their old jobs and everybody I've met so far is in a similar situation where all they can get is day supply or they are working as teaching assistants.

The past 7 months has been extremely rocky I only get paid when I teach with some weeks averaging £0 as nobody was ill nobody or was on holiday the numerous half terms Easter break etc also meant they were £0 (from teaching) weeks.

It was all too common for £100 weeks.

Next month I have 10 days booked up work but this only amounts to £600 for all of August I can't make a living out of this and there are constantly new graduates off the PGCE course in the numerous local universities and colleges.

I've depleted most of my savings and the 2014/15 school year is looking very much the same. I attend interviews and see people who were on my course, then silence not even

I occasionally bump into others and they are on low fractional positions 0.2 is depressingly common it seems. TBH I'm starting to envy pizza delivery jobs and such like (I've done it before and sometimes do it to make ends meet) as even though its min wage I'm bound to get at least 25 hours a week.

However leaving teaching seems a massive waste of 36 months and the fees I paid. I do like teaching just I can't seem to break into it.
Hi Justpin. Did you train at post-comp level, or secondary? Indeed, if you were looking for post-comp work I imagine that it is very difficult. But if you are willing to teach secondary, I know in the SE they have had a shortage of English teachers and schools have struggled to recruit. Where are you based?

Over on 'the other place' (TES forums) there is a gent who recruits for schools in Herts and I know he was saying how there was a dearth of English teachers. Have you applied to many jobs? Have you checked out Theo's advice on job applications on the TES jobseekers forum?

Sorry I seem to have asked an awful lot of questions!
Reply 2
Post comp, I've applied for mostly everything I see and the hit rate is low.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending