The Student Room Group

If you could afford it would you hire a maid

To clean up the house,wash the clothes,dishes etc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by matthewduncan
To clean up the house,wash the clothes,dishes etc

And this is in "Relationships" because...?
I would hire Maid Marian

Spoiler

Yes, i am awful around the house.
No, I think it advocates laziness :tongue:
Original post by Harvey Dent
And this is in "Relationships" because...?

Because the people that tend to hire maids are couples.
Its a question for those who are in relationships really
No, I don't like the idea of someone being able to look through my things :K:
Reply 7
A maid and a nanny, yes.
Yes. Nothing wrong with giving someone a job.
Also a cook.
Yes. Who wouldn't?!
Original post by matthewduncan
Because the people that tend to hire maids are couples.
Its a question for those who are in relationships really

You neglected to mention that in your OP. Perhaps this should be moved to the "Advice" forum.
From personal experience, it requires you put a lot of trust in the maid. We've had two, and the first tried (and succeeded) in stealing money from my parents and running back to the Philippines. The second was lovely though.

You forget that the maids spend a lot of time at home (more time than the rest of the family) and so if you're not careful, things can get stolen.

Personally I won't get a maid as it won't be necessary, and the only reason my parents did was due to them both working and not having enough time to do the cleaning, ironing, cooking etc.
Original post by Mr...
Maybe, if I did I wouldn't let her/him cook for me out of fear of her/him poisoning me of my family...

Also your children would be spoilt rotten, never having to do chores, for me it is just odd...
Well that was my 2p

Omg, I actually laughed at the first bit. Yeesh :mmm:

I agree with the next bit because I want my children to know how to clean up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh we have one
Yes. My husband and I work opposite shifts and have 2 days off together a month. The tidying is left to whoever is at home with our two very young children but inevitably it never gets finished. Having a maid once a week or fortnight would just help aleiviate some of the stress we already endure trying to maintain a happy and tidy house for our children.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr...
It isn't a real fear, but the paranoia would crop up to me at some point ad I would end up firing everyone on the grounds of suspicion because the chicken's seasoning tasted "poisony" :toofunny:
It is just basic discipline to be honest, I want my kids to be very well off, but not to the point where...

Yeah I agree, I probably wouldn't want anyone (maid) to cook for me either. "Poisony"<-:laugh:

Neither, they'll never get any where near that stage though. :tongue:
Original post by karmacrunch
Omg, I actually laughed at the first bit. Yeesh :mmm:

I agree with the next bit because I want my children to know how to clean up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh and my kids do put their toys away and put things back after use. The maid would be for bathroom and kitchen cleaning which is very important for hygiene but often difficult to do when the kids are awake! Try comforting an 18 month old who has just bumped his head mid toilet clean!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't think so, if I had the money I'd probably do something else with it.
I'd find it a bit weird if someone else was in my house more than I was and I don't really like the idea of someone doing everything for me
Original post by Denver2010
Oh and my kids do put their toys away and put things back after use. The maid would be for bathroom and kitchen cleaning which is very important for hygiene but often difficult to do when the kids are awake! Try comforting an 18 month old who has just bumped his head mid toilet clean!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great! I'm not sure if I'd ever get a maid though. Like you said only for bathroom and kitchen. I don't know, I have a pretty long while to decide anyway. Ooh that doesn't sound to good at all, I have younger siblings though so I understand quite a bit. I agree. :smile:
I'm a bit confused by people saying the maid will be in their house more than they are...do maids live with you? I thought you would just arrange a time for them to come and clean every now and then and they leave after

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending