The Student Room Group

Becoming a solicitor with a BA diploma?

Bachelor of Arts (BA) is the degree of my diploma I will be getting. Would I be able to become a solicitor with it? If yes, how and what are my choices and route? Is it compulsory that I do an LPC before my training contract because my grade isn't an LLB? :confused: My university is not clear and helpful enough in emails so I decided to ask you guys
Original post by Ketchuplover
Bachelor of Arts (BA) is the degree of my diploma I will be getting. Would I be able to become a solicitor with it? If yes, how and what are my choices and route? Is it compulsory that I do an LPC before my training contract because my grade isn't an LLB? :confused: My university is not clear and helpful enough in emails so I decided to ask you guys

If by 'diplona' you mean you have a BA Arts degree then yes you can become a solicitor.

Basically the path goes:

Non law BA degree --> Take the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) 1 year course --> Then take the LPC --> training contract.

The process is the same for a law student just without the year of the GDL.
Would advise you ask this to be moved to legal careers section where you will get most accurate advice.

If your BA is not have a qualifying law degree you'll need to do the GDL (graduate diploma in law) and then the LPC (Legal Practice Course) and then complete a two year training contract.

Law and non-law graduates both have to do the LPC before starting a training contract. The GDL is the additional course you will need to do if you do not have a law degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by i-love-coffee
If by 'diplona' you mean you have a BA Arts degree then yes you can become a solicitor.

Basically the path goes:

Non law BA degree --> Take the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) 1 year course --> Then take the LPC --> training contract.

The process is the same for a law student just without the year of the GDL.

Thank you for your answer.

I also want to add that I was studying an LLB Law degree but they changed my diploma into a BA degree because I didn't enter two exams, one with a remaining resit. If I pass both of these, my university has told me that I will get a BA degree instead of an LLB. This is my first year by the way. So does that change anything or does the route remain the same?
Original post by arguendo
Would advise you ask this to be moved to legal careers section where you will get most accurate advice.

If your BA is not have a qualifying law degree you'll need to do the GDL (graduate diploma in law) and then the LPC (Legal Practice Course) and then complete a two year training contract.

Law and non-law graduates both have to do the LPC before starting a training contract. The GDL is the additional course you will need to do if you do not have a law degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am sorry that I don't know how to move categories.

Also, do you think it's better to repeat the year to start with an LLB degree instead of doing a GDL course as it's only my first year?
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you for your answer.

I also want to add that I was studying an LLB Law degree but they changed my diploma into a BA degree because I didn't enter two exams, one with a remaining resit. If I pass both of these, my university has told me that I will get a BA degree instead of an LLB. This is my first year by the way. So does that change anything or does the route remain the same?

Oh I see, yeah, if your degree is not qualifying, then you will not be able to go straight onto the LPC. You'll still have to do the GDL. However, you may not have to every single module. Some of my friends did Law degrees in Scotland, meaning they didn't have all the qualifying modules for England. They had to take the GDL but they only had to take the 5/6 modules that they didn't know, rather than all.
Oh I see, yeah, if your degree is not qualifying, then you will not be able to go straight onto the LPC. You'll still have to do the GDL. However, you may not have to every single module. Some of my friends did Law degrees in Scotland, meaning they didn't have all the qualifying modules for England. They had to take the GDL but they only had to take the 5/6 modules that they didn't know, rather than all.

Oh so does that mean I only have to study tort (my failed modules) and does that mean it will be much shorter than a year?
Oh so does that mean I only have to study tort (my failed modules) and does that mean it will be much shorter than a year?

Can you not just re-take it at uni? and yeah it will be much shorter than a year, but you will still have to wait til the next september to take the LPC
Can you not just re-take it at uni? and yeah it will be much shorter than a year, but you will still have to wait til the next september to take the LPC

Unfortunately I can't, they won't let me, they said getting a BA diploma is the only option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending