The Student Room Group

Becoming a Doctor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevelzzz
Engineers aren't paid well at all though in comparison to doctors/dentists
If salary is the deciding factor for you, please don't study medicine
Reply 21
I don't think the GCSE grades you've presented to the forum would be enough. Unless as someone else stated you performed exceptionally well (e.g. A*s all around) at A levels and have a high UKCAT.

I have a friend who is currently in Medicine who was EXTREMELY lucky to get onto his course with just 6 A*s at GCSE.

Godspeed
Reply 22
Original post by Mubariz
Oh wow you can debate so well

They'd make better doctors than you :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You really don't know what a doctor's job entails do you?

That gentleman called you an idiot because your post was idiotic. A nurse's job and a doctor's job are extremely polar.
Reply 23
Original post by callen235
Hi everyone,

As of this September I will begin studying for my A-levels and am extremely interested in becoming a doctor. At GCSE level, I'm expecting to obtain A's in all three sciences (I did triple science) and an A/B in Mathematics. For my A-levels I will be taking Chemistry, Physics, Maths/Mechanics and Psychology and will be expecting decent/good grades.

My question is, with my aptitude and intelligence, do you think I could become a doctor as I know you have to be extremely academic and basing it on my grades (that I hope to achieve) do you think I can be accepted into Medical school. By the way if I choose not to become a doctor I will hopefully go to University and study some form of Chemistry.

Also what should I do about Medical experience, is it possible to get medical work experience at the NHS because, I assume, you need a good level experience for your medical application, This summer I am doing two-weeks work experience in a chemical laboratory.

Thanks for your time!
Chris

You should take biology A level, without it you'd be restricting yourself massively.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KhanNab

That gentleman called you an idiot because your post was idiotic. A nurse's job and a doctor's job are extremely polar.

I know what it entails. What I mean is at least they actually care, they love helping people. They'd make better doctors if they had the grades because then they'd care about the patients as opposed to people who go into it for the money.

Lol at everybody who wants to study medicine to earn money.
It's usually people without the mathematical ability to go far in finance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KhanNab

:facepalm:
Original post by alevelzzz
Majority of finance grads dont get paid much, and certainly not engineering graduates.

Consultants, GPs are all on VERY good wages. Not to mention some private work they do.

A finance degree from a good uni will get you on a 50k packet if you play your cards right. This takes considerably less time as becoming a GP.

Do you know how many years of study it takes to become a consultant?
If money is your motivation, I suggest you look at IB/ChemEng/Accounts - These are where the money is. Look it up if you dont believe me.

Naive Imbeciles like you are the reason why the people who genuinely want to do medicine have to struggle to get places.
Reply 27
Original post by Mubariz
I know what it entails. What I mean is at least they actually care, they love helping people. They'd make better doctors if they had the grades because then they'd care about the patients as opposed to people who go into it for the money.

Lol at everybody who wants to study medicine to earn money.
It's usually people without the mathematical ability to go far in finance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nurses and doctors provide different kinds of care and this is entirely down to the difficulty of the job.

Nurses provide a more personal level of care as their job allows them to.

However, doctors while able to provide limited amounts of personal connection to a patient CANNOT emulate and provide the same or increased levels of care, regardless of their personality. That's why there are nurses who can make up for it. Doctors are incredibly busy, have to focus on correct diagnosis and treatment as opposed to bedside manner.
Reply 28
Original post by h3isenberg
:facepalm:

If they're not different, enlighten me.
Original post by KhanNab
Nurses and doctors provide different kinds of care and this is entirely down to the difficulty of the job.

Nurses provide a more personal level of care as their job allows them to.

However, doctors while able to provide limited amounts of personal connection to a patient CANNOT emulate and provide the same or increased levels of care, regardless of their personality. That's why there are nurses who can make up for it. Doctors are incredibly busy, have to focus on correct diagnosis and treatment as opposed to bedside manner.

http://youtu.be/WIn61WL0IeI

This is a good doctor in my opinion. The job is different but not such that a doctor can't develop a personal relationship or care about the patient.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Mubariz
http://youtu.be/WIn61WL0IeI

This is a good doctor in my opinion. The job is different but not such that a doctor can't develop a personal relationship or care about the patient.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will check the link later.

That's true, but you can't say that nurses would make better doctors as there is a level of intelligence required to make the correct decisions (i know it's horrible to say so). There's a reason why medics do 5 years of University.

I'd agree that SOME nurses may do a better job or have the capabilities but most don't have the opportunities. Otherwise they'd have become doctors by now.
Original post by KhanNab
Will check the link later.

That's true, but you can't say that nurses would make better doctors as there is a level of intelligence required to make the correct decisions (i know it's horrible to say so). There's a reason why medics do 5 years of University.

I'd agree that SOME nurses may do a better job or have the capabilities but most don't have the opportunities. Otherwise they'd have become doctors by now.

Yeah I said if they had the grades they would have made better doctors.

In honesty, personal I don't think being a doctor requires much intelligence, the degree requirements may be but in honestly all you're doing is diagnosing things. There is a free app that does it as good as my doctor, it told me I had gastritis after me entering my symptoms.
People who make the medicines, yes you need to be intelligent. A lot of engineering is getting into medicine. If anything doctors are hardly ever needed now aside from the diagnosis, the treatment is essentially engineering or another field.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Mubariz
Yeah I said if they had the grades they would have made better doctors.

In honesty, personal I don't think being a doctor requires much intelligence, the degree requirements may be but in honestly all you're doing is diagnosing things. There is a free app that does it as good as my doctor, it told me I had gastritis after me entering my symptoms.
People who make the medicines, yes you need to be intelligent. A lot of engineering is getting into medicine. If anything doctors are hardly ever needed now aside from the diagnosis, the treatment is essentially engineering or another field.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, if they had the grades, they wouldn't have been nurses in the first place. They'd just be doctors. So there's no comparison.

Oh it does. You clearly don't know how much. It's not extremely difficult to get into for no reason. The fact that you said an app can do it as well as your doctor, just tells me how clueless you are.
Original post by KhanNab
Well, if they had the grades, they wouldn't have been nurses in the first place. They'd just be doctors. So there's no comparison.

Oh it does. You clearly don't know how much. It's not extremely difficult to get into for no reason. The fact that you said an app can do it as well as your doctor, just tells me how clueless you are.

That's what I'm trying to say, if they had the grades they'd be perfect candidates, but they didn't.

It's really hard to get in because so many people apply.

Why not actually give me a point rather than say this. Explain to me how it requires intelligence when most people come with problems like a cold or something which is treated easily or doesn't even need treatment and your body could get through it.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28166019

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mubariz
That's what I'm trying to say, if they had the grades they'd be perfect candidates, but they didn't.

Why not actually give me a point rather than say this. Explain to me how it requires intelligence when most people come with problems like a cold or something which is treated easily or doesn't even need treatment and your body could get through it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't see what the relevance of that link is. Lots of people find aspects of statistics confusing.

There have been people who have looked at academic studies published in high-ranking journals (so that's nothing to do with clinical medicine, really), and found that a worrying number of them had errors in their statistical reasoning.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I don't see what the relevance of that link is. Lots of people find aspects of statistics confusing.

There have been people who have looked at academic studies published in high-ranking journals (so that's nothing to do with clinical medicine, really), and found that a worrying number of them had errors in their statistical reasoning.

It shows that (in my opinion) they aren't very smart.

Link? And what sort of fields were these people in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Mubariz

Posted from TSR Mobile

So many apply, with AAA grades. Some with A*s all around. But they still don't get in, why? Personality and aptitude are 2 huge components that are required. While someone with the right personality may come along, they may not have the intellectual capabilities to complete the degree within 5 years. The same applies vice versa.

You asked me why people go to see their GPs when they have a cold that's easily treated and can be naturally dealt with? Is that you're question? If so, i'm sure you have the common sense to answer it yourself.
Original post by Mubariz
It shows that (in my opinion) they aren't very smart.

Link? And what sort of fields were these people in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v14/n9/abs/nn.2886.html

Sorry, but some of your points are pretty ridiculous. "In your opinion, they aren't very smart"; yes I'm sure you're a complete statistics expert... :rolleyes:
Original post by KhanNab
So many apply, with AAA grades. Some with A*s all around. But they still don't get in, why? Personality and aptitude are 2 huge components that are required. While someone with the right personality may come along, they may not have the intellectual capabilities to complete the degree within 5 years. The same applies vice versa.

You asked me why people go to see their GPs when they have a cold that's easily treated and can be naturally dealt with? Is that you're question? If so, i'm sure you have the common sense to answer it yourself.

You don't understand what I'm saying is saying those people had the personality but they just didn't have the grades and if they did they would have made good doctors.

To be honest a lot of people get in with the right grades and the wrong intentions so that point isn't right.

I'm not asking a question, I'm saying a lot of people go to their doctor with trivial things, it's not hard to treat.

An app, could diagnose most illnesses as good as a doctor could without any tests. Perhaps even better since it doesn't forget and has a huge database.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz

An app, could diagnose most illnesses as good as a doctor could without any tests. Perhaps even better since it doesn't forget and has a huge database.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find it strange they don't use stuff like that more in medicine. Perhaps it's because the technology for a truly reliable system isn't ready yet. Humans are biased, imperfect etc, I can imagine computers could really help with lots of aspects of medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending