The Student Room Group

Becoming a Doctor?

Hi everyone,

As of this September I will begin studying for my A-levels and am extremely interested in becoming a doctor. At GCSE level, I'm expecting to obtain A's in all three sciences (I did triple science) and an A/B in Mathematics. For my A-levels I will be taking Chemistry, Physics, Maths/Mechanics and Psychology and will be expecting decent/good grades.

My question is, with my aptitude and intelligence, do you think I could become a doctor as I know you have to be extremely academic and basing it on my grades (that I hope to achieve) do you think I can be accepted into Medical school. By the way if I choose not to become a doctor I will hopefully go to University and study some form of Chemistry.

Also what should I do about Medical experience, is it possible to get medical work experience at the NHS because, I assume, you need a good level experience for your medical application, This summer I am doing two-weeks work experience in a chemical laboratory.

Thanks for your time!
Chris

EDIT: I achieved Biology: A*, Chemistry: A*, Physics: A*, Maths: A
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I reckon you can. If you have the drive you can go anywhere.

If all else fails become an engineer, arguably the most important of job roles and one of the easiest to get in because of the shortage.
Reply 2
I'm pretty much in the same position as you, roughly the same grades (A*/A hopefully) and potentially going into medicine. But if you worked considerably hard at your A-Levels, did well at your GCSEs and like you say, get some work experience done then you would have a good chance.

The problem is (please any actual medical students correct me) I have heard that GCSEs are considered part of the applicaton more for medical/dental degrees than other degrees and so they need to be good.
Original post by Ozzin
I'm pretty much in the same position as you, roughly the same grades (A*/A hopefully) and potentially going into medicine. But if you worked considerably hard at your A-Levels, did well at your GCSEs and like you say, get some work experience done then you would have a good chance.

The problem is (please any actual medical students correct me) I have heard that GCSEs are considered part of the applicaton more for medical/dental degrees than other degrees and so they need to be good.

Yes medicine/dentistry look at GCSE grades more than any other degree due to the ridiculous competition. A high UKCAT can make up for bad GCSEs and some schools don't care as much about GCSEs:smile:
Reply 4
There's an absolute ton of guides on TSR if you look in the tabs at the top (probably under university/university courses). There's also a list of medical schools in an article, with their preferences and requirements for entry.

At this stage, you're basically a clean slate. Your GCSEs might reduce your chances with a handful of places, but other than that there's really no information to judge how likely it is. Get good AS grades, get an absolute ton of work experience, and do well on the UKCAT/BMAT if required.

You can get at least a week of work experience on a hospital ward. After that, it can be difficult as the local authorities usually only grant a week due to the amount of people who want to do it. Keep trying though, and places like GP surgeries, care homes etc. are all relevant. The chem lab is great from a chemistry perspective, but not really what you need for medicine so much.

You'll be fine to study chemistry, and if you decide to go for medicine then it's worthwhile visiting a few chemistry departments anyway to find one you like. I know my university (Sheffield) will accept applications from students applying to medicine.

Go lurk over the prospective medical applicants and university sections and you'll pick up a lot of information from the threads that are posted and stickied there :smile:
Original post by Mubariz
I reckon you can. If you have the drive you can go anywhere.

If all else fails become an engineer, arguably the most important of job roles and one of the easiest to get in because of the shortage.

Engineers aren't paid well at all though in comparison to doctors/dentists
Original post by callen235
Hi everyone,

As of this September I will begin studying for my A-levels and am extremely interested in becoming a doctor. At GCSE level, I'm expecting to obtain A's in all three sciences (I did triple science) and an A/B in Mathematics. For my A-levels I will be taking Chemistry, Physics, Maths/Mechanics and Psychology and will be expecting decent/good grades.

My question is, with my aptitude and intelligence, do you think I could become a doctor as I know you have to be extremely academic and basing it on my grades (that I hope to achieve) do you think I can be accepted into Medical school. By the way if I choose not to become a doctor I will hopefully go to University and study some form of Chemistry.

Also what should I do about Medical experience, is it possible to get medical work experience at the NHS because, I assume, you need a good level experience for your medical application, This summer I am doing two-weeks work experience in a chemical laboratory.

Thanks for your time!
Chris

A Level Biology is pretty useful if you want to do medicine.
Original post by alevelzzz
Engineers aren't paid well at all though in comparison to doctors/dentists

If you're doing it for the money, just stop, please.

They are very well paid and places like petroleum engineering even more so, in comparison to everybody else they are paid a lot and with an engineering degree you can get into finance, probably the highest paid career which you can't do with Medicine.
Original post by Mubariz
If you're doing it for the money, just stop, please.

They are very well paid and places like petroleum engineering even more so, in comparison to everybody else they are paid a lot and with an engineering degree you can get into finance, probably the highest paid career which you can't do with Medicine.

Fyi you can get into fianace with a medical or dental degree.
If im going to study a degree and get a job its to better my life, money is a big factor.
Fyi you can get into fianace with a medical or dental degree.
If im going to study a degree and get a job its to better my life, money is a big factor.

It'll be a lot harder. And tbh I've never heard of it since Medicine and Dentistry don't involve that much maths so it's not as attractive.

I know this will sound bad I'm but I hope to god you never become a doctor. Sorry.

Once you get past 30k it's enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mubariz
It'll be a lot harder. And tbh I've never heard of it since Medicine and Dentistry don't involve that much maths so it's not as attractive.

I know this will sound bad I'm but I hope to god you never become a doctor. Sorry.

Once you get past 30k it's enoug

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because money is a factor I take into a career choice? lmfao. Isn't it funny how the two most competitive courses in the country (medicine and dentistry) are also two of the most lucrative?
if you think money isnt a factor in most applicants for these two coirses youre delided
(edited 9 years ago)
Because money is a factor I take into a career choice? lmfao. Isn't it funny how the two most competitive courses in the country (medicine and dentistry) are also the most lucrative?

Finance is more lucrative than either, be honest.

Yes the average may be higher but other professions have much higher top percentiles.

I think being a doctor is something you should do because you like helping people and nothing more. There was a video of a doctor who was really great, let me see of I can find it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz
Finance is more lucrative than either, be honest.

Yes the average may be higher but other professions have much higher top percentiles.

I think being a doctor is something you should do because you like helping people and nothing more. There was a video of a doctor who was really great, let me see of I can find it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmfao. Theres 1000 occupations where you can help people.
Youre deluded
Lmfao. Theres 1000 occupations where you can help people.
Youre deluded

I'm deluded because I have an opinion different to yours?

:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz
I'm deluded because I have an opinion different to yours?

:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, yes.
Well, yes.

Wow.

Just wow.

You need to see the world my friend, get out of the house more :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz
Wow.

Just wow.

You need to see the world my friend, get out of the house more :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. You geniunely think that money isnt a factor on medical/dental students' decision to study the course

Thats delisional. Quite frankly irresponsible if money isnt a factor for your future career if you want a family
No. You geniunely think that money isnt a factor on medical/dental students' decision to study the course

Thats delisional. Quite frankly irresponsible if money isnt a factor for your future career if you want a family

Lol. Why dont you go research a doctors Salary from FY1 - Consultancy?
Doctors do not get paid as much as you think. Do a finance or engineering degree if you want to make money.

I believe it shouldn't be the factor. I know it is for a lot of them but I don't think they should do that personally, a career should be something you love doing. I know nurses who love their job, I think they should have become doctors but they just didn't have the grades, they would have made great doctors.

Delusion, lets clear that up.

That is subjective, I believe you are greedy and materialistic :biggrin:

The fact is you don't know about real life. People love a comfortable lifr on 30k and a good like on more, you don't need any more to live so don't pull that. Even with a family even 50k is more than enough.

The reason I want to go into finance/engineering is because I love numbers I love doing calculations and I can't imagine doing anything else, I could become a doctor with the grades I have, yes, but it's not something I would enjoy even though my parents are trying to influence me into doing it, i know that since I wouldn't like it, I should do it because I wouldn't make what I think is a good doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pennyarcade
Lol. Why dont you go research a doctors Salary from FY1 - Consultancy?
Doctors do not get paid as much as you think. Do a finance or engineering degree if you want to make money.

Majority of finance grads dont get paid much, and certainly not engineering graduates.

Consultants, GPs are all on VERY good wages. Not to mention some private work they do.

Quick Reply

Latest