The Student Room Group

Compelling personal reasons advice needed

Hi,

I am also posting this in the 'Ask Student Finance' section but thought I would ask in the general financial area too incase any of you can help :smile:

I am a little confused as to the rules about compelling personal reasons with student finance.

Basically, I suffered from some medical conditions in the past which are now under control (I do not wish to divulge the true extent of them on a public forum, but for this queries sake, lets assume that SFE would view them as 'compelling personal reasons')

Would there be any way in which to get 4 previous years (no degree obtained, 2 completed first years and 2 drop out years) of University study to not be taken into account for future funding? I previously studied in 2008/2009, 09/10, 10/11 and 2011/2012.

I have been studying with the OU and would love the opportunity to go back to a brick uni, using these credits as entrance.. but as far as I can see, you can only apply for one CPR year at a time.

I realise this is an odd request, but I was wondering if anybody has been in a similar situation before? Perhaps if I wrote a lengthy letter with plenty of evidence to support my illness they could make an exception? Or is there really no way around it?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.
Reply 1
I very much doubt it.
Original post by eibsorc89
Hi,

I am also posting this in the 'Ask Student Finance' section but thought I would ask in the general financial area too incase any of you can help :smile:

I am a little confused as to the rules about compelling personal reasons with student finance.

Basically, I suffered from some medical conditions in the past which are now under control (I do not wish to divulge the true extent of them on a public forum, but for this queries sake, lets assume that SFE would view them as 'compelling personal reasons')

Would there be any way in which to get 4 previous years (no degree obtained, 2 completed first years and 2 drop out years) of University study to not be taken into account for future funding? I previously studied in 2008/2009, 09/10, 10/11 and 2011/2012.

I have been studying with the OU and would love the opportunity to go back to a brick uni, using these credits as entrance.. but as far as I can see, you can only apply for one CPR year at a time.

I realise this is an odd request, but I was wondering if anybody has been in a similar situation before? Perhaps if I wrote a lengthy letter with plenty of evidence to support my illness they could make an exception? Or is there really no way around it?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

I know you can get up to 4 years of funding but there might well be a clause that allows for illness. The best thing would be just to speak to SFE and see what they say to be honest. I imagine it will depend on the reasons.

Glad you're feeling better!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending