The Student Room Group

Careers advice needed :)

Gy,
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cuteystar283

Your university careers centre is set up to answer exactly these questions, and a significant portion of your fee is going to support their operations.
Original post by threeportdrift
Your university careers centre is set up to answer exactly these questions, and a significant portion of your fee is going to support their operations.

Ah right ok. I'm not at uni atm as I'm at home, so I thought I'd ask here for advice but I guess I'll ask elsewhere. Thanks anyway.
Reply 3
Ah right ok. I'm not at uni atm as I'm at home, so I thought I'd ask here for advice but I guess I'll ask elsewhere. Thanks anyway.

The internet is at your fingertips! I would just google generic internship/placement phrases. Can scan through sites like 'Rate my placement' to give you ideas of what's out there. Have a look for something that seems interesting, and then try and search for similar. To be honest, at this stage, anything would be worthwhile if it helps you get any closer to working out what you want to do. Your background probably sets you up quite well for the sales sector, but it's preference of what you actually would like to do that decides it right now. French is a massive boost, so any kind of business sector role would fit the management ideas, i'd imagine. I have no idea about what a management degree entails :tongue:

Some internships open early, some open late. Just apply for what you see - and check the start date.
Hello :smile:

Basically just finished first year studying Management and French and now I'm realising I should think about applications for next year summer internships/jobs etc. However, firstly I don't know what area to apply for as I'm not sure what I want to do as a career and secondly, not really sure how to go about securing an internship - e.g. what relevant work experience I need and when exactly to apply. I did have a good plan before to go into translation, until I realised that's not for me. So just feeling a bit lost as to what I should do now :/

Another issue I have is that I do have a year abroad in France and I don't know whether to get an internship there or study - My main fear is that I really don't want to be empty handed in terms of work experience when I eventually graduate.

I am pretty open to most careers - that fits with my degree choice of course apart from teaching or accountancy ..or anything too financial as maths is not my strong point :/

As you can tell by this post I am a bit lost/confused about it all - but any suggestions of any kind of routes/careers or anything would be really helpful :smile:

For internships you could try googling the Times Top 100 Graduate Employers - if you then go to the careers websites of a few that interest you, you'll see that they probably run some kind of internship scheme alongside their graduate programmes. You might not be eligible for all of them - some of them might be for final years, some target specific groups such as under-represented groups, but worth having a look.

Employment on a year abroad is a bit less easy to research online. I did languages and I think those who secured work abroad largely did it through personal links the department had with companies, or links previous students had with companies. So as the time gets near, your department should do various presentations on your options, and be able to tell you how those who wanted to work abroad went about securing that work.

If you do a summer internship and then work abroad for a year, that will be an absolutely fantastic CV to be leaving uni with :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending