The Student Room Group

If the UK had an autobahn..

With 10 lanes each side and light enough traffic that you can drive as fast as you like

what speed would you drive at ?

Scroll to see replies

A part of me says anywhere between 80 and 100mph but another part would happily cruise at 60 as I like driving.

Depends if I was in a rush or not.
Original post by nemothefish19
A part of me says anywhere between 80 and 100mph but another part would happily cruise at 60 as I like driving.

Depends if I was in a rush or not.

There's no reason to be in a rush.
130mph+. Top speed all the way. I'm never in a rush, I just love to drive fast.
80 Probably...

Fuel economy is noticeably bad at 90.
Original post by Camoxide
80 Probably...

Fuel economy is noticeably bad at 90.

Ah that'd be annoying!

My car maintains over 50mpg at a consistent 110mph. I haven't really checked it at any higher speeds since economy is the last thing on my mind when driving that fast!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
In my current car, not much over 75 because it gets so noisy, and the fuel consumption rockets! But in a "better" car, probably up to 90. I don't see any point in going much faster, and I currently can't imgaine it would be that safe - if I tried and found it easy to control the car still, I'd probably push it higher.
Original post by live_a_life
Ah that'd be annoying!

My car maintains over 50mpg at a consistent 110mph. I haven't really checked it at any higher speeds since economy is the last thing on my mind when driving that fast!

Posted from TSR Mobile

what is it?
Ah that'd be annoying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How often and where do you drive "at a consistent 110 mph"? Presumably not on public roads in the UK?
Original post by just a dad
How often and where do you drive "at a consistent 110 mph"? Presumably not on public roads in the UK?

Very often. And I don't really want to say where.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Very often. And I don't really want to say where.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Assuming that you are telling the truth, which of course I cannot know, I can only hope that you lose your licence as soon as possible. For the sake of you, your family, and other road users.
depends if it was busy or not

if not busy, then 100+ mph depending on the car, wouldnt do over 100mph in a 1.2
Assuming that you are telling the truth, which of course I cannot know, I can only hope that you lose your licence as soon as possible. For the sake of you, your family, and other road users.

so so many people overtake when im doing 70-80mph on the motorway
probably 80-90 but that's cos my little fiat punto cant actually go much faster.
Reply 14
No faster than I do already unless I was in a particular rush and even then, I wouldn't go any faster than 85-90, which isn't uncommon on motorways already.

I'd rather see more green space than 10-lane autobahns everywhere.
Depends what car im driving...

I appreciate your concern. However, to hope that I'd lose my licence is disgusting. Losing my licence means losing 2 jobs and will hinder my 3rd year studies at university. I wouldn't drive at these speeds if I didn't feel comfortable at them. I have never fallen into an awkward situation because of driving too fast. I promise you that I won't lose my licence due to driving fast. If you're that concerned, put your hope in other road users losing their licence to be 'safe', because mine is 100% here to stay.
Ah that'd be annoying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I your maths is quite wrong here.
I appreciate your concern. However, to hope that I'd lose my licence is disgusting. Losing my licence means losing 2 jobs and will hinder my 3rd year studies at university. I wouldn't drive at these speeds if I didn't feel comfortable at them. I have never fallen into an awkward situation because of driving too fast. I promise you that I won't lose my licence due to driving fast. If you're that concerned, put your hope in other road users losing their licence to be 'safe', because mine is 100% here to stay.

Don't make promises you can't keep.
Having clocked up over half a million miles in the UK, USA and Western Europe I am confident in saying that your arrogance exceeds your ability.
Original post by Friggerpants
I your maths is quite wrong here.

Didn't do any calculations. 1 dial reads 110mph while the other reads 50mpg. I appreciate that the dashboard dial may exaggerate but even if the actual mpg is 40-45, that's still bloody brilliant for 110mph.

So, why did you say my maths was wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending