The Student Room Group

is make up really necessary? opinions guys n girls?

I am 19 this year and I don't wear a drop of makeup on my face.

I am fine with my dark eye circles and the occasional eyebag but these days I am quite keen on one blogger and she is just so beautiful and perfect with makeup on. With her light makeup pic or no makeup pic, she's still pretty but not as stunning (now that I think of the stunning was quite plastic, as in she looks too beautiful to be real)

And then I went on google and saw that tonnes of girls in their early teens like 13 or 14 already started to wear make up which scared me quite a bit haha.

I would like to try on some makeup but I am afraid that once I start, I might turn into those who are too afraid to look at their bare face.

Also I don't know if this is a cultural or peer pressure thing but most of the girls i know don't wear makeup.

Scroll to see replies

I personally prefer it but I'm a makeup artist so ye
It makes your features stand out and if you feel more confident then sure why not?
As long as they know how to apply it properly and not look like a masked person then it's fine,
I like the way makeup makes me look, although I'm quite happy without putting anything on too, just depends on the occasion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I would say avoid. It's like alcohol, if it hadn't already been normalised, it would be banned. Extortionate and, in excess, causes premature ageing. I must admit clever make up can set the pulse racing, but in reality you can be feminine and attractive without this fashion con.
yes, girls look so groce without it lol
Original post by Zarek
I would say avoid. It's like alcohol, if it hadn't already been normalised, it would be banned. Extortionate and, in excess, causes premature ageing. I must admit clever make up can set the pulse racing, but in reality you can be feminine and attractive without this fashion con.

It doesn't cause ageing.
I always wear make up when I go out the house. If I'm just slobbing about the house I don't bother though. I'm nearly 21 and have been wearing make up since I was 16
Nope.

Spoiler

Some girls look alright without makeup... Others look ill. Of course it isn't necessary but personally I feel more comfortable with it on.
Im 17 and im the only person i know around my age who doesnt wear makeup

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
It's not necessary per sae. I mean,how lucky were you in the genetic lottery? At the end of the day most people wear it to emphasize their looks so if you want to do that,then hey. However I will say,the bit below is definitely something you ought to take into consideration. I used to be quite the heavy-makeup wearer myself and I know i certainly got to the point where my natural naked face made me feel uncomfortable. Prior to getting interested in makeup I'd never have given it a second thought really so kudos to you for thinking in advance. If the thought worries you terribly,maybe consider a french approach to vanity? i.e. develop a strong obsession with skincare/hair care/ keeping yourself thin etc etc? I'm currently a skincare maniac and oh-my-gosh it's made all the difference.
Having said that,i don't think the occasional dab of concealer and mascara will make you hate the "naked you" so-to-speak.

Original post by kayla_54

I would like to try on some makeup but I am afraid that once I start, I might turn into those who are too afraid to look at their bare face.

Not gonna lie, I feel so much better with make up on.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
It doesn't cause ageing.

This.
It and beer goggles should be banned. Pulling a stunner and waking up next to one of the ugly sisters is not fair. :fuhrer:
Reply 14
It's down to personal choice. It's nobody's business but the person who's putting makeup on themselves.
Original post by Stinkum
It's down to personal choice. It's nobody's business but the person who's putting makeup on themselves.

I agree but I think that make up should be used to accentuate your features not to make new ones :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stinkum

^ This.

What I can't tolerate is people who think they're better than other women for not wearing makeup, and the reverse.

Original post by karmacrunch
I agree but I think that make up should be used to accentuate your features not to make new ones :smile:

Wait, so we're allowed to be enhanced, but not *too* enhanced? Drawing around your eye is fine, but re-shaping your eyebrow is evil trickery?? :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hmmm it's not necessary but it makes people feel better about themselves as well as making them look better...some people look quite ill (dull skin, dark circles) without any so...
I'm jealous of those that look amazing without any on at all though :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by Aivicore
^ This.

What I can't tolerate is people who think they're better than other women for not wearing makeup, and the reverse.

Wait, so we're allowed to be enhanced, but not *too* enhanced? Drawing around your eye is fine, but re-shaping your eyebrow is evil trickery?? :lol:

It's quite a harmless habit really, yet people get so upset and shocked by it, I don't understand why people feel so strongly about something that is none of their business.
I can't leave the house without it... Addicted
although I have loads of friends who don't wear it and look amazing

Quick Reply

Latest