The Student Room Group

Does uni ranking matter? investment banking

Hi everyone, i studied economics at a level and would like to do at university in which i have an offer from a top uni however i would really like to stay at home (back up uni) due to reasons and would like to go to my local university, however as my local uni is ranked really low around 50th in general and around 60th for economics, does this mean this uni would be ranked too low to go into investment banking especially for the graduate programs jp morgan etc offer? Also it would be a BA degree rather than BSC? any thoughts does BA vs BSC matter? whats the difference? and does ranking matter at the end of the day would be coming out with a degree in economics does it really matter that where its from and if its a BA?
Original post by Natek18
Hi everyone, i studied economics at a level and would like to do at university in which i have an offer from a top uni however i would really like to stay at home (back up uni) due to reasons and would like to go to my local university, however as my local uni is ranked really low around 50th in general and around 60th for economics, does this mean this uni would be ranked too low to go into investment banking especially for the graduate programs jp morgan etc offer? Also it would be a BA degree rather than BSC? any thoughts does BA vs BSC matter? whats the difference? and does ranking matter at the end of the day would be coming out with a degree in economics does it really matter that where its from and if its a BA?

If it's as low as that then it probably is completely off radar for investment banking and will be really shooting yourself in the foot. You should go with the top uni; it can be difficult if you have reservations but you really should decide what you want more. Investment banking is a career that requires substantial personal sacrifice so if you can't make a sacrifice now, why do you think you'd be okay on the job? BA vs BSc, depending on the subject is not usually a deal-breaker. To my understanding, BSc is just more mathematical so looks better.

Banks have target unis they actively recruit from very heavily such as Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, Warwick and UCL as well as a number outside of this that they recruit a handful from. But certainly, from a lower-ranked uni, you'd be making things very difficult for yourself. It's very difficult from a top uni.

I recognise this isn't exactly what you want to hear but it's just how it is I'm afraid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
50th in the world? or 50th in the UK?
Reply 3
Yeah suppose you're right, but i see in that case if they actively recruit from those universities if they get first pick and then second pick goes to the rest would it be any different from my local uni and my original offer which is in the top 20, but not top 10 or along side oxbridge etc, so does 15th compare to around 50th that largely? And around 50th in the uk. (hertfordshire - 53rd)
Original post by Natek18
Yeah suppose you're right, but i see in that case if they actively recruit from those universities if they get first pick and then second pick goes to the rest would it be any different from my local uni and my original offer which is in the top 20, but not top 10 or along side oxbridge etc, so does 15th compare to around 50th that largely? And around 50th in the uk. (hertfordshire - 53rd)

If I'm honest, I wouldn't describe it like that, no. It's progressive. So the further down you go, the less likely, or rather, the harder it is to break in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yep, it's all about the name in this industry. or anywhere, really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending