The Student Room Group

Is it easier to get into some colleges at Cambridge or Oxford than others?

Would that in anyway affect the quality of the tuition, I am asking this because the Tompkins rankings suggests so?
Reply 1
It is undoubtedly easier to get into some, but that in no way affects the level of tutoring, which is excellent in virtually every college. Oxbridge colleges are more often than not based on subject type and (dare I say it) popularity. In Oxford, for example, Corpus Christi College is harder to get into than St Hugh's (due to the number of applicants and therefore the competition). Of course, the pooling system means that there is at least a modicum of balance in the colleges.
Reply 2
trinity maths...

not even once boii
Original post by BenAssirati
It is undoubtedly easier to get into some, but that in no way affects the level of tutoring, which is excellent in virtually every college. Oxbridge colleges are more often than not based on subject type and (dare I say it) popularity. In Oxford, for example, Corpus Christi College is harder to get into than St Hugh's (due to the number of applicants and therefore the competition). Of course, the pooling system means that there is at least a modicum of balance in the colleges.

corpus christi is one of the least competitive colleges in oxford (in terms of numbers).

It may be harder to get into some colleges rather than others, but if you're good enough they should still try to find you a place at another college so that you still get into the uni (this is what they claim atleast, obviously it doesnt work out for everyone so maybe its not such a bad idea to play the numbers game...who knows)
Reply 4
Original post by JIMBO789
Would that in anyway affect the quality of the tuition, I am asking this because the Tompkins rankings suggests so?

I'm not so familiar with Oxford, but certainly for Cambridge the answer is no for both. Some colleges may appear easier to get into e.g. women's colleges, but due to the pool the standard is pretty much even among the different colleges and so applying 'tactically' won't increase your chances of getting a place. In terms of tuition quality, I wouldn't read much into this given that supervisors are shared around colleges etc.
Reply 5
So then why does everyone say it is hardest to get into Trinity? What's the best Oxford college??
Reply 6
Original post by JIMBO789
So then why does everyone say it is hardest to get into Trinity? What's the best Oxford college??

Its the difference between getting in to the University and getting in to your first choice college. If you look at the statistics its clear that some colleges routinely pool many applicants, some rarely do and the majority pool for some subjects some years and take from the pool for others. For these middle colleges tactical applications can be a disaster as everybody piles in and applies for the college that looked "easier" last year.

Pooled applicants actually do as well as non pooled applicants but you can perhaps assume that colleges at the very top of the Tompkins attract those who are least fazed by a highly competitive entry & who came top of their applicant pool. Some colleges have a slightly more aggressive attitude to exam results and put on more academic pressure but I don't think the supervisions vary much and many people end up supervised at a different college to their own in some papers.
There is suspicion that the Tompkins table may not fully adjust for the differences in 2:1 and 1sts etc between different subjects thus advantaging those with more maths/science students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending