The Student Room Group

Will the navy laugh at me?

Sorry for the silly title I need the most honest answers. I have no confidence and I am really shy. I want to join the navy to get my confidence back, I am a domestic violence victim and have been for the last 6 years. Right now my life is a mess and I need to leave my house and this is an option I am thinking about.

As you can imagine I am not the ideal candidate. I don't know if I am rushing this to leave my home but I would really like to become a better person.

I do not have a British passport, I have an European passport and I have lived here for more than 10 years. - I am not sure if this would be an issue.

how long is the training and the contract?

thank you
I think you're seeing the Navy as a 'way out' instead of a genuine career that you have a passion for. In short, it's fairly pointless. You actually have to want to do it.
Reply 2
Original post by m93100
Sorry for the silly title I need the most honest answers. I have no confidence and I am really shy. I want to join the navy to get my confidence back, I am a domestic violence victim and have been for the last 6 years. Right now my life is a mess and I need to leave my house and this is an option I am thinking about.

As you can imagine I am not the ideal candidate. I don't know if I am rushing this to leave my home but I would really like to become a better person.

I do not have a British passport, I have an European passport and I have lived here for more than 10 years. - I am not sure if this would be an issue.

thank you

Ask yourself this: are you a gay guy? If not you will laughed at.

Seriously, they might reject you but they won't laugh at you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by m93100

thank you

"To join the Royal Navy you will need to be a national of Britain, Ireland or the Commonwealth."

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/how-to-join/eligibility#nationality-and-residency

Answer that question first, then look at the RN's website. They won't inherently laugh you out the door, but you have to want it for more than "because you've got nothing else". All jobs in the Armed Forces are competitive, they all have entry standards including fitness tests. You've got to ask yourself if you've got the motivation to make the changes and do the work that is required.
Reply 4
I would use your drive to join the navy as a way to bolster your confidence - learn all there is about it, the role you want in it, and start working on yourself. Once you feel more confident about that, apply. Even if you fail, the strive to better yourself to be worthy of the role will improve you as a person and won't be a wasted effort.
Reply 5
Original post by ryan9900
I think you're seeing the Navy as a 'way out' instead of a genuine career that you have a passion for. In short, it's fairly pointless. You actually have to want to do it.

No you don't. Most of the people I know in the Army and Navy joined up to get out of their rubbish lives.
Original post by Clip
No you don't. Most of the people I know in the Army and Navy joined up to get out of their rubbish lives.

That's fair enough, it just makes it easier if you want it rather than feel like you need it.
Reply 7
Original post by m93100

thank you

Drewski is right, to join any UK Armed forces, you must live in the country for at least 5 years and have British, not EU citizenship. But since you've been in the country for 10 years, you can apply to become British no problem.
As to the shyness problem, all you can do is try, it will come out in your interview, as they are trained to spot it. Try to be as prepared as you can, also don't forget the academic and physical standards.
It will not help you if you just want to leave home now, as the process takes from 6 to 18 months.

Quick Reply

Latest