The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Hiya!

I have been following the 2014 thread and thought it would be nice to start one for 2015 entrants as I cannot see one.

I'm hoping to study SLT in 2015 but haven't yet made my mind up where!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by madagascar
Hiya!

I have been following the 2014 thread and thought it would be nice to start one for 2015 entrants as I cannot see one.

I'm hoping to study SLT in 2015 but haven't yet made my mind up where![/

Im wanting to do slt in 2015 but at leeds met uni
Reply 2
I've been wanting to do slt for a few years and now i can finally give it a shot! I'm starting an Access to HE course next month and I want to study at UEA but I need 45 credits at distinction to get in.....I may rethink that choice once I start :P
Reply 3
guys what alevels are u doing atm
Reply 4
Original post by SALT_2015
I've been wanting to do slt for a few years and now i can finally give it a shot! I'm starting an Access to HE course next month and I want to study at UEA but I need 45 credits at distinction to get in.....I may rethink that choice once I start :P

I did a single HEFC unit in human biology (18 credits), and was asked to get DD for that. What other subjects will you be studying?
Reply 5
Original post by evantej
I did a single HEFC unit in human biology (18 credits), and was asked to get DD for that. What other subjects will you be studying?

I'm going to be studying human biology and psychology so I'm hoping it will be enough. I really want to go to UEA but I'm looking at DMU, Sheffield and Reading as well because their entry requirements are a bit lower.....fingers crossed.
Reply 6
I'm going to be studying human biology and psychology so I'm hoping it will be enough. I really want to go to UEA but I'm looking at DMU, Sheffield and Reading as well because their entry requirements are a bit lower.....fingers crossed.

Psychology will be useful.

I applied to DMU and Sheffield this year too. I have studied previously so DMU gave me what was basically an unconditional offer. (Because of their relatively lower offer, they are a lot of people's insurance choice). Sheffield really pride themselves as academic and research based - along with City and Newcastle - so I would not expect them to give you a lower offer than UEA.

I have no experience with Reading unfortunately.
Reply 7
Original post by evantej
Psychology will be useful.

I applied to DMU and Sheffield this year too. I have studied previously so DMU gave me what was basically an unconditional offer. (Because of their relatively lower offer, they are a lot of people's insurance choice). Sheffield really pride themselves as academic and research based - along with City and Newcastle - so I would not expect them to give you a lower offer than UEA.

I have no experience with Reading unfortunately.

Thanks for the info, I just need to pick a 5th choice now and then see what happens :smile:
Reply 8
I want to do SLT too! I think I'll be applying for marjon, reading, dmu, Birmingham, Leeds met. I'm just waiting for AS results So i know where i stand!
Reply 9

I'm also starting an access course in psychology and biology this september. Yep, UEA entry requirements are really high so I know I won't be applying there. Whilst I hope to do well I think that 45 credits at distinction might be pushing it a bit lol! I've been to open days at Marjon, Leeds Met, DMU & Sheffield. Marjon and Leeds Met are my favs at the moment, Sheffield's student union is amazing but I wasn't so keen on the course there. Really didn't like DMU.

I am going to go to open days at QMU, Newcastle, Cardiff Met and maybe BCU or Manchester Uni.

How are people doing with writing their PS? Has anyone been able to get some shadowing experience or doing voluntary work?
I'm also starting an access course in psychology and biology this september. Yep, UEA entry requirements are really high so I know I won't be applying there. Whilst I hope to do well I think that 45 credits at distinction might be pushing it a bit lol! I've been to open days at Marjon, Leeds Met, DMU & Sheffield. Marjon and Leeds Met are my favs at the moment, Sheffield's student union is amazing but I wasn't so keen on the course there. Really didn't like DMU.

I am going to go to open days at QMU, Newcastle, Cardiff Met and maybe BCU or Manchester Uni.

How are people doing with writing their PS? Has anyone been able to get some shadowing experience or doing voluntary work?

I was thinking about Leeds Met for my final choice but I need to go for an open day, I've heard nothing but good things.

I've not started my personal statement yet. I'm not looking forward to that, chances are I will go through many many drafts lol. I'm currently an Educational Welfare Officer so luckily I get to work with SEN students and get to talk to a few speech therapists. I don't have any experience of working with adults though so I have to look into that......I think I'm just trying to put off writing my PS :smile:
Reply 11
I was thinking about Leeds Met for my final choice but I need to go for an open day, I've heard nothing but good things.

I've not started my personal statement yet. I'm not looking forward to that, chances are I will go through many many drafts lol. I'm currently an Educational Welfare Officer so luckily I get to work with SEN students and get to talk to a few speech therapists. I don't have any experience of working with adults though so I have to look into that......I think I'm just trying to put off writing my PS :smile:

I've started doing mine but not got very far yet. I think I'm gona be going through many drafts too lol! Sounds like you have a fair bit of relevant experience and knowledge into SLT from your employment which is great.

I have experience of working with both adults and teenagers but not with young children, however my nephew is 4 so I will try to take some of my experiences from being around him to use in my PS.
I've started doing mine but not got very far yet. I think I'm gona be going through many drafts too lol! Sounds like you have a fair bit of relevant experience and knowledge into SLT from your employment which is great.

I have experience of working with both adults and teenagers but not with young children, however my nephew is 4 so I will try to take some of my experiences from being around him to use in my PS.

Awesome! I'm sure your PS will be fine, especially with your experience :smile:

I'm starting to get excited about the access course starting now.....although I'm sure that will change when the first assignment is due lol.
Reply 13

I'm starting to get excited about the access course starting now.....although I'm sure that will change when the first assignment is due lol.

Yeah me too, although I'm also really nervous. Yeah I think the first assignment might be a bit of a killer lol, but i'm sure once that one is out the way it will be less daunting. Fingers crossed lol.
Hi, I've just competed the final exam of my post grad and I'm about to qualify as an SLT, any questions feel free to message me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by juliamcgowan26
Hi, I've just competed the final exam of my post grad and I'm about to qualify as an SLT, any questions feel free to message me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Higlet
I want to do SLT too! I think I'll be applying for marjon, reading, dmu, Birmingham, Leeds met. I'm just waiting for AS results So i know where i stand!

Hope you got the results you wanted :smile:
Reply 17
hi guys i am wanting to do SLT at Leeds but my as results have let me down
i achieved grades Ds in both psychology and sociology at AS level i havent got my results for my b tech in applied science level 3
i also have urdu at grade A at A2
Hi there,
I am a very mature student (!) applying to BCU. I already have a degree and was an early years teacher, before taking a career break. For those of you looking for voluntary experience, I have been working with the Stroke Association as a Communications Volunteer and they are always looking for new volunteers. I have learnt a lot doing this. I
hope everyone did ok in their AS's, my son has just finished his A levels and I was more nervous than him! I have the relevant experience and qualifications, but think I may be too old to be offered a place.
Original post by shropshirelass51
Hi there,
I am a very mature student (!) applying to BCU. I already have a degree and was an early years teacher, before taking a career break. For those of you looking for voluntary experience, I have been working with the Stroke Association as a Communications Volunteer and they are always looking for new volunteers. I have learnt a lot doing this. I
hope everyone did ok in their AS's, my son has just finished his A levels and I was more nervous than him! I have the relevant experience and qualifications, but think I may be too old to be offered a place.

Age is less of an issue than in other professions. I know medicine do take your age into account. But a clinical psychologist I know started training in their mid 40s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply