The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

I agree- experience is incredibly valuable for speech and language therapy. Any extra years you have will stand you in good stead!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks both, I am going to apply and see what happens. As I live in Shropshire BCU is the only Uni within travelling distance. Nearly finished my PS and will send off as soon as UCAS allows.
Hi all.

Nice to see a 2015 thread! The 2014 thread was such a huge part of my life this last 12 months!

Now that A levels are successfully out of the way, I am starting at MMU in September doing the joint speech therapy/psychology course. I applied to Leeds Met, Sheffield, U of Manchester and MMU (for both straight SLT and the joint course).

Got 3 offers out of the 5 - Leeds Met turned me down (which was a shame cos I loved it but hey ho) and I withdrew from Sheffield (did not like that one at all).

Good luck to you all - it's a long and gruelling process with lots of highs and lows, but worth it (I hope lol)!
HIIIIIIIIIIII

So since the past three months I'm suddenly very interested in SLT and i even got my work experience at an hospital this Friday. I'm kinda worried about universities because there are only eighteen universities those offer this course. I live in London so my priority will be City University London, but for other four I've randomly decided Reading, Manchester, Sheffield and UEA. Now another weird issue I'm having is that I got ABBC. I'm carrying on with an ABC, hoping to improve to AAB next year. I have maths, economic and psychology. Few universities require English Language, so I'm thinking to pick it up for my A2 aswell. What subjects are important? And what key points should I mention in my personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maleeha121
HIIIIIIIIIIII

So since the past three months I'm suddenly very interested in SLT and i even got my work experience at an hospital this Friday. I'm kinda worried about universities because there are only eighteen universities those offer this course. I live in London so my priority will be City University London, but for other four I've randomly decided Reading, Manchester, Sheffield and UEA. Now another weird issue I'm having is that I got ABBC. I'm carrying on with an ABC, hoping to improve to AAB next year. I have maths, economic and psychology. Few universities require English Language, so I'm thinking to pick it up for my A2 aswell. What subjects are important? And what key points should I mention in my personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biology, English language and psychology would be best. So if you could pick up either of the first two even just to AS level it would be good.

I would reconsider some of your university choices as they almost all have very similar grade requirements and are at the top end (ie you are not leaving yourself with much margin for error with exam grades).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally!!! After a lot of research, deliberation and some visits to open days I've finally decided on my final 5 uni choices for slt:

UEA (admittedly the entry requirements are probably a little out of my reach, but at least it gives me something to aim for and I can say I tried)
DMU
Leeds Met
Sheffield
Reading

Anybody else thinking about these?

Now all I have to do is start my PS.....oh and pass my current course......and then actually get offered a place :s-smilie:
Reply 26
What Type of work experience is relevant for SLT
Reply 27
Original post by adehaz
What Type of work experience is relevant for SLT

If you can shadow a Speech and Language therapist this would be helpful just to be able to say you know what they do and you've understood the role, but this can be difficult to get. This being the case, most universities don't actually request this specifically and they generally look for other things that show that you either have the requisite skills for training or experience of working in the settings or with the client groups that SLTs work with.

The role involves working intensively one on one with people in a variety of settings, namely hospitals, schools and people's homes. Any experience you can get in a school or hospital will be really useful. However, look at the client groups that SLTs work with. They're very varied so even something like volunteering at a breastfeeding mums group or volunteering in a day centre for the elderly would be helpful, just so you can get an idea of the needs of these clients and how SLTs would be able to help.

You also need to consider the skills that SLTs need to do the job. They're part of multi-disciplinary teams and are team leaders in their own right as well. Anything that shows teamwork, enterprise, or just working with others towards a particular goal is going to reflect well on you. They have to be good communicators so anything like public speaking, tutoring/teaching, or any role involving interaction with the public can show that you're able to listen and speak clearly.

You need to show an interest in language and development and an understanding of how communication and swallowing disorders can affect lives. Volunteering in an EAL situation could be helpful here and it's possible your school might have some voluntary positions in that area. Maybe approach your school's SENCO and see if there's anything you might be able to do. Swallowing-wise, maybe do some time as I said in a breastfeeding group and see if you can chat to any mothers whose babies have had reflux or tongue tie or structural issues that have affected swallowing. This is the youngest client group SLTs work with but it's one not a lot of people going to do SLT at university actually consider. It would be really good to get some inside knowledge of this.

Stroke organisations are always good to approach, but remember that they often require volunteers to be over 18. However, approaching organisations like St John's Ambulance and the British Red Cross and looking into first aid training could be a really interesting thing for you as they have quite a few programmes for younger volunteers and it could bring you into contact with the client groups again. I did a first aid course with them a few years ago and I learned a massive amount about strokes there, which is obviously one of the big areas of recovery that SLTs are involved in. You don't have to be 18 to do a first aid course so if you don't have it already I'd get one under your belt. It's also helpful to have this as part of your professional skills set as you will be working in clinical settings and school settings as part of your training and employment.

Remember as well that SLTs have to work with all kinds of people and build relationships with them long-term. It's important to have a number of interests that you can talk about and bring into these relationships. Dust off your hobbies and make sure that you're able to talk about what you've achieved here and how they've affected you growing up.

Make sure to do some reading too. Look up Edwyn Collins' biography written by his wife (sorry, can't remember the name of it) and also something like The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. They may prompt a few others as well but it can give you some interesting insights to talk about.

Hope that helps.
Hi all, i'm glad this thread has been started.. I was thinking about starting one. I used to post a fair bit in the 2014 thread as I applied to universities. Unfortunately I didn't get the offers I was after this year. I was offered a place in Leeds but withdrew this as I really want to get to Manchester. I am going to be applying again this year (fingers crossed I get a place this time hehe) I completed my access course this year in Health Professions. If anybody needs any help and advice with it or even with the whole uni application thing, i'm more than happy to help :smile: xxx
Original post by nesca89
Hi all, i'm glad this thread has been started.. I was thinking about starting one. I used to post a fair bit in the 2014 thread as I applied to universities. Unfortunately I didn't get the offers I was after this year. I was offered a place in Leeds but withdrew this as I really want to get to Manchester. I am going to be applying again this year (fingers crossed I get a place this time hehe) I completed my access course this year in Health Professions. If anybody needs any help and advice with it or even with the whole uni application thing, i'm more than happy to help :smile: xxx

Hi,

I feel nostalgic following this thread - its nicer sitting here at the finish post though - I remember you from last year. Hope you get the offer from Manchester that you want.

Amy
Original post by AmyPilot
Hi,

I feel nostalgic following this thread - its nicer sitting here at the finish post though - I remember you from last year. Hope you get the offer from Manchester that you want.

Amy

I can imagine what it would be like sitting there at the finish post! I know i'll have my turn this year, I just feel like its the right time now :smile: Good luck with your studies! x
Original post by nesca89
I can imagine what it would be like sitting there at the finish post! I know i'll have my turn this year, I just feel like its the right time now :smile: Good luck with your studies! x

Thank you.

Are you applying elsewhere too or just Manchester? They were my insurance choice.
Original post by nesca89

Hey is it okay if I ask you why didn't you get an offer? How weren't Alevel grades?
Thank you.

Are you applying elsewhere too or just Manchester? They were my insurance choice.

I am only applying to Manchester I think, I might add a choice later on if I change my mind but my heart is set on Manchester :smile:

Original post by Maleeha121
Hey is it okay if I ask you why didn't you get an offer? How weren't Alevel grades?

I didn't get an interview from Man Met because I only had a C at GCSE science and not a B! They have changed the entry requirements this year though to a C - how annoying lol. I have met all the entry requirements for both universities now. I didn't pass the interview at the University of Manchester as we get scored with a points system, have to score 19 to get in.. I scored 17! :frown: So all very close x
Original post by nesca89
I am only applying to Manchester I think, I might add a choice later on if I change my mind but my heart is set on Manchester :smile:

I didn't get an interview from Man Met because I only had a C at GCSE science and not a B! They have changed the entry requirements this year though to a C - how annoying lol. I have met all the entry requirements for both universities now. I didn't pass the interview at the University of Manchester as we get scored with a points system, have to score 19 to get in.. I scored 17! :frown: So all very close x

Are you applying to MMU as well as Uni of Manchester? How do you know about the points system at UofM - did you ask for feedback? I will be at MMU from September doing the joint course (last year its running - got lucky there).

Good luck xx
Are you applying to MMU as well as Uni of Manchester? How do you know about the points system at UofM - did you ask for feedback? I will be at MMU from September doing the joint course (last year its running - got lucky there).

Good luck xx

I will be applying for both Manchester universities :smile: Yes I asked for as much feedback as I could get, it was really helpful. I noticed that the Psychology one has been stopped, I wasn't really interested in it anyway to be honest. I was speaking to a girl when I was doing some shadowing at a hospital.. and she was in her 1st year doing Speech Therapy, one of her friends was doing the Psychology one too and apparently it's really difficult. But then it would be different for everyone I guess! :smile: x
Original post by nesca89
I will be applying for both Manchester universities :smile: Yes I asked for as much feedback as I could get, it was really helpful. I noticed that the Psychology one has been stopped, I wasn't really interested in it anyway to be honest. I was speaking to a girl when I was doing some shadowing at a hospital.. and she was in her 1st year doing Speech Therapy, one of her friends was doing the Psychology one too and apparently it's really difficult. But then it would be different for everyone I guess! :smile: x

Yeah I believe we do more psychology in the first year and don't cover one of the SLT modules till later. I always wanted to keep my options open for the future by also having the psychology degree. Nearly changed my mind during A levels - we had no teacher it was a nightmare! Came out ok in the end though got an A! Tell you the truth more nervous about going to Uni (quite shy and timid) rather than the academic side. Sure it will be fine when I actually get started!

Will keep my eye on everyone's progress.
Yeah I believe we do more psychology in the first year and don't cover one of the SLT modules till later. I always wanted to keep my options open for the future by also having the psychology degree. Nearly changed my mind during A levels - we had no teacher it was a nightmare! Came out ok in the end though got an A! Tell you the truth more nervous about going to Uni (quite shy and timid) rather than the academic side. Sure it will be fine when I actually get started!

Will keep my eye on everyone's progress.

Yeah I heard that too, i'm sure you will be absolutely fine. Give yourself a little time to settle in and remember most people are in the same boat as you. Just enjoy it! :smile: x
Original post by nesca89
Yeah I heard that too, i'm sure you will be absolutely fine. Give yourself a little time to settle in and remember most people are in the same boat as you. Just enjoy it! :smile: x

Thanks - I will :smile: Good luck again!
Reply 39
Thank u ever so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest