The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanC55
Hey, I'm just preparing to send off my UCAS for SaLT! I'm proper nervous it's a joke; I'm applying to De Montfort, Leeds Beckett, Manchester Met, Queen Margaret and Cardiff - anyone else applied to any of them? Genuinely so nervous

It's normal to be nervous lol. I have applied to dmu, man met, Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield. I have had both my Manchester interviews, they are written so nothing to be too nervous about :smile: good luck!
Original post by nesca89
It's normal to be nervous lol. I have applied to dmu, man met, Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield. I have had both my Manchester interviews, they are written so nothing to be too nervous about :smile: good luck!

Can I ask what you thought of Manc Met? I really want to go there but I dunno. How did you find the overall experience, how did the day go and was it intimidating? DMU is definitely my firm choice but I like the look of leeds and manc. I just don't want to get rejected from everywhere cause I know how competitive it is.
Can I ask what you thought of Manc Met? I really want to go there but I dunno. How did you find the overall experience, how did the day go and was it intimidating? DMU is definitely my firm choice but I like the look of leeds and manc. I just don't want to get rejected from everywhere cause I know how competitive it is.

Man met was nice :smile: my choices would be any Manchester one as I don't want to move. The day was relaxed and informative,nothing to worry about. And the interview process isn't as bad as other universities I've heard about!
Reply 703
Original post by tcrj
Congratulations!!! when did you apply?

I'm not in school anymore so I applied at the end of september :smile:
Reply 704
Original post by eskimok1
Anyone else got an offer from reading for SLT? So happy eeeek

I've got an offer from reading too :biggrin: are you thinking of making that your firm? :smile:
Original post by jk1995
I've got an offer from reading too :biggrin: are you thinking of making that your firm? :smile:

OMG me too:biggrin:I think I'm gonna make them my firm!
Original post by Clivia
Thanks! Would you be up for a coffee/chat some time (maybe Weston Park museum café?) to tell me a bit more about the course at Sheffield and what it's like as a 'mature' student? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, of course! I'm actually away until mid January working in a residential special needs school in Bristol. Will buzz you when I'm back. Have a good christmas :smile:
Original post by jk1995
Offer from Cardiff as well! Best Christmas present, 2 offers!!! :biggrin:

Massive congratulations!! Well done :smile:
Original post by eskimok1
Anyone else got an offer from reading for SLT? So happy eeeek

Congratulations!! :smile:
Hey just thought i'd bring the link for this table forward now that people are getting interviews and offers :smile: Please add yourself if you haven't already and we can all see when we have interviews together and what stages we are all at :smile: x

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...e_courses_2015
Original post by nesca89
Man met was nice :smile: my choices would be any Manchester one as I don't want to move. The day was relaxed and informative,nothing to worry about. And the interview process isn't as bad as other universities I've heard about!

Ah sweet, so are you from Manchester then? Ahh okay, that's put me to ease then; I was worried about the whole situation.
Original post by nesca89
Don't worry, keep your chin up. Have you applied anywhere else? All universities look for different things. It obviously wasn't meant to be, and another uni is :smile:

Yeah, I guess, just worried now because I've only got one reply, from mmu and dmu have already said no, but unofficially, so that only leaves me with a possible 3! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jk1995

It's actually always been my top choice :biggrin: aww well done, are you?! :smile:
Ah sweet, so are you from Manchester then? Ahh okay, that's put me to ease then; I was worried about the whole situation.

Nope, im from Liverpool. The commute to Manchester isn't too bad. :smile: it's a shame Liverpool university doesn't provide the course really haha. I'm glad you feel more at ease now :smile:
Original post by SarahBennett97
Yeah, I guess, just worried now because I've only got one reply, from mmu and dmu have already said no, but unofficially, so that only leaves me with a possible 3! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well don't worry, you've still got a good chance. :smile: I'm sure you will absolutely fine
Are there any other guys applying for SaLT? I know there must be some out there but this forum seems predominantly female haha! Also, what type of work experience do people have?
Are there any other guys applying for SaLT? I know there must be some out there but this forum seems predominantly female haha! Also, what type of work experience do people have?

There was me and another guy who commented infrequently last year. You will in most likely be the only guy at your interview and on your course if successful.

Newcastle have three guys this year which is very rare. The previous year they had one and he dropped out.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I seen 1 guy at the interviews last year and haven't seen any this year. Its a female dominant profession I think. But if you go ahead with it, I reckon a guy would have more chance at getting a job because it's rare so you'll be special :tongue: haha.

I've shadowed a speech therapist in a hospital, worked with mentally ill adults, worked on a dementia unit and also with children with special needs. Experience doesn't mean much however if you can't apply well what you have learnt :smile:
Reply 718

When I was at the Birmingham City interview there were a few boys there!!

Experience wise:
Spoken with a private based speech therapist and observed a session
Spoken with a NHS based speech therapist
I took part in a beach mission where I worked with kids
I babysit (not sure if this counts for much but I threw it in my personal statement!

By the way... Is anyone on here also expecting a reply from Birmingham City any time soon?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 719
Original post by Higlet
When I was at the Birmingham City interview there were a few boys there!!

Experience wise:
Spoken with a private based speech therapist and observed a session
Spoken with a NHS based speech therapist
I took part in a beach mission where I worked with kids
I babysit (not sure if this counts for much but I threw it in my personal statement!

By the way... Is anyone on here also expecting a reply from Birmingham City any time soon?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I am ...They said in 3 weeks of the date if the interview we will get a reply and that is today. So im constantly refreshing my emails now :L

Quick Reply

Latest