The Student Room Group

Best intelligence agency in the world

Which one would you choose from this list and why?

Here's another list.

Scroll to see replies

I would be patriotic and say MI6 but i don't think any of us can make an informed decision about this. Most of these intelligence agencies share lots of information and works so closely together they become interchangeable in a way.
MOSAD
In terms of most effective? The CIA by far, second would be Mossad and everyone else would far far behind. MI6 used to be one of the big boys but they have been heavily sidelined in recent years are now glorified pencil pushers, same with pretty much all of the bigger European spy agencies.
Original post by Darth Stewie
In terms of most effective? The CIA by far, second would be Mossad and everyone else would far far behind. MI6 used to be one of the big boys but they have been heavily sidelined in recent years are now glorified pencil pushers, same with pretty much all of the bigger European spy agencies.

I can only assume from your disclosure that you have a lot of experience working for MI6.

I would argue that the CIA/NSA and MI5/6/GCHQ are by a mile the most dominant. They have budgets that dwarf all others, and that's what counts in what is now a highly resource-intensive field.
Reply 5
How on Earth would any of us know anything these lot even do?

The majority we have to go on is **** like James Bond, Spooks etc.
Original post by Mackay
How on Earth would any of us know anything these lot even do?

The majority we have to go on is **** like James Bond, Spooks etc.

All I know is the assessment centre was incredibly dull. Perhaps a good thing because it turned out I wasn't good enough!
Reply 7
Mosad & mss
MSS and FSB. Those buildings look amazing :coma:.
As with so much in life, it comes down to money. I'd say the NSA and CIA would probably have the largest reach and the most effective operations.
Original post by MJK91
I can only assume from your disclosure that you have a lot of experience working for MI6.

I would argue that the CIA/NSA and MI5/6/GCHQ are by a mile the most dominant. They have budgets that dwarf all others, and that's what counts in what is now a highly resource-intensive field.

MI6 and the CIA/Mossad are not the same type of groups. the CIA and Mossad are more akin to paramilitary organizations while MI6 have the job of collecting data and passing it on through the appropriate channels. to put it in simple terms the CIA and Mossad do what combined MI6/MI5/Special Branch/various military intelligence agencies do thus they are more effective because they have a much broader job description, have vastly more capabilities than MI6 and are much better funded. To put this in perspective the UK is estimated to spend around 3 billion dollars on all our intelligence services while the CIA alone had a budget of 14.3 billion dollars in 2013 also keep in mind the US has 17 active intelligence agencies compared to our 3. Mossads funding is classified however it would probably be the same as the CIA's if not more.

The NSA would be above all others (especially in funding) however unfortunately it is not on either list provided probably due to it mainly dealing with the internal security of the US as oppose to global intelligence gathering which seems to be the focus of both lists
(edited 9 years ago)
BND is trash. From the bits and pieces journalists manage to figure out it's a bunch of amateurs.
Reply 12
The only thing the CIA is good at is bribing people. They absolutely suck at everything else.
I don't know why people are so keen to praise the CIA. They and organisations working with them completely missed 9/11 and still haven't located Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. They are catastrophic failings that cost thousands of lives.
Reply 14
Original post by Quantex
I don't know why people are so keen to praise the CIA. They and organisations working with them completely missed 9/11 and still haven't located Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. They are catastrophic failings that cost thousands of lives.

The joys of an intelligence agency, failings are public, successes are secret.

I doubt anyone in this thread is able to make an informed opinion about global intelligence agencies anf ate certainly not able to rank them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mali167
Which one would you choose from this list and why?

Here's another list.
Roflmao @ Pakistan placed ahead of the CIA, MI6, FSB and Mosad.

So good that Osama Bin Laden - public enemy No1 was - hid in Pakistan's front garden and they failed to find him.
Original post by uberteknik

So good that Osama Bin Laden - public enemy No1 was - hid in Pakistan's front garden and they failed to find him.

Pakistan at the top on that list is ridiculous. I would say they were protecting public enemy no1 and it took the rest of the world 10 years to find him.
S.H.I.E.L.D
Original post by uberteknik

they probably knew he was there, they were probably protecting him

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by MJK91

EXACTLY. I think the reason why they said that agencies like ISI are in top 10 is because of where they come from. A 3rd world country. Coz they're so poor they can only spend so much. And with that shortcoming, they're able to function. I guess that's where their strength is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending