The Student Room Group

Medicine Personal Statement Feedback

Would anyone be willing to give me advice on my personal statement (for Medicine) if I sent it via a pm?

Just looking for potential improvements! Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Post it in the PS section.
Post it in the PS Help section - the PS helpers have experience of giving such feedback, and if you PM it to someone they could copy it for themselves.
I guess the PS section is the best choice:tongue:

But don't be so naive to send your PS to a random stranger on the Internet. That's a really silly mistake that could cost you.
Reply 4
Do NOT PM your personal statement to anybody!
PS Help is actually closed and is non-accessible for people in general. There is a way of accessing it but I've been asked not to share that. Apparently the forum will open up for use again on September 1st.

As others have said, do not PM your PS to anyone.

Edit: PS Help in its previous, free, form will no longer exist; a new model is being employed where detailed reviews can only be gained via a fee.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Kyalimers
PS Help is actually closed and is non-accessible for people in general. There is a way of accessing it but I've been asked not to share that. Apparently the forum will open up for use again on September 1st.

As others have said, do not PM your PS to anyone.

Edit: PS Help in its previous, free, form will no longer exist; a new model is being employed where detailed reviews can only be gained via a fee.

Why is it no longer free ... Feel that's a real shame. I found it very useful last year. Also I was going to see if I could help this year
Original post by t()m
Why is it no longer free ... Feel that's a real shame. I found it very useful last year. Also I was going to see if I could help this year

Some aspects will remain free such as use of the PS Help forums. But TSR felt that it was unsustainable to maintain a full free service.
Some aspects will remain free such as use of the PS Help forums. But TSR felt that it was unsustainable to maintain a full free service.

So presumably the people who were the PS helpers, who were previously volunteers, will now be paid?

(not intending to shoot the messenger).
Original post by nexttime
So presumably the people who were the PS helpers, who were previously volunteers, will now be paid?

(not intending to shoot the messenger).

Actually, no. I am sure details will be divulged to everyone eventually but I don't think I want to say any more at the moment as I'm not part of TSRG.
Actually, no. I am sure details will be divulged to everyone eventually but I don't think I want to say any more at the moment as I'm not part of TSRG.

Well I guess we'll see what they'll do. If their fee is not extremely nominal then I struggle to see how they will get people to volunteer their time to be part of such a service.
Well I guess we'll see what they'll do. If their fee is not extremely nominal then I struggle to see how they will get people to volunteer their time to be part of such a service.

I removed myself from the usergroup before all of this was decided upon, but I was party to the initial phases of the discussion and there was some very serious soul searching going on. Nearly everyone agreed that the current model was totally unsustainable, but there were huge disagreements about the right way forward.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I removed myself from the usergroup before all of this was decided upon, but I was party to the initial phases of the discussion and there was some very serious soul searching going on. Nearly everyone agreed that the current model was totally unsustainable, but there were huge disagreements about the right way forward.

Why is it unsustainable? Too much demand?

It's a rather touchy subject at the moment so I am reluctant to say much other than see what the powers that be announce on the 1st of September.

:sad: :cry:
Original post by Neostigmine
It's a rather touchy subject at the moment

So I'm finding.
So I'm finding.

Man you don't even know the half of it.

OP: Please don't post your statement to any old randomer. That said, anyone with "PS Helper" next to their username is proven to be at university and therefore be more likely to be a safe bet with experience and a little training. Furthermore, TSR will reopen it's - somewhat changed - review service in a few weeks time.

Basically, yeah, too many statements going unanswered, not enough helpers and difficulty retaining them. I think it's a real shame, but you can't win them all.
Original post by Neostigmine
Man you don't even know the half of it.

There was some quite heavy **** from some people, and I can't imagine it got any better after I gave up. Wouldn't be surprised to hear that some of the old guard have packed it in, too.
Original post by Helenia
Basically, yeah, too many statements going unanswered, not enough helpers and difficulty retaining them. I think it's a real shame, but you can't win them all.

Yeah big shame. I never did it as i didn't feel confident in being able to write a great personal statement (its not like there's a big evidence base or anything...) but would have done it if i'd known the service was struggling. Though perhaps medicine was not an area that struggled.

I'll follow the outcome.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
There was some quite heavy **** from some people, and I can't imagine it got any better after I gave up. Wouldn't be surprised to hear that some of the old guard have packed it in, too.

I think you'd find you were quite right.

Quick Reply

Latest