The Student Room Group

Grinding teeth - now sharp wisdom tooth digging into cheek/gum

Anyone else had this problem?

I sometimes grind my teeth in my sleep and now where the top wisdom tooth has been partially ground down the other side of it is extremely sharp and catches the cheek and/or gum.

I've been using salt and water to avoid infection around the area being damaged by the tooth. The problem is also making my jaw ache quite a bit on the damaged side so I can only believe it is affecting a nerve in the area.

I think I'll probably need both of the wisdom teeth at the top out as sooner or later the one on the other side may do the same. Then I'll need one of those night guards to stop grinding my teeth away.

So bloody annoying. Dental problems are horrible and have to wait until tomorrow to see the dentist.

Anyone needed wisdom teeth out for a similar issue?
Original post by Sanctimonious
Anyone else had this problem?

I sometimes grind my teeth in my sleep and now where the top wisdom tooth has been partially ground down the other side of it is extremely sharp and catches the cheek and/or gum.

I've been using salt and water to avoid infection around the area being damaged by the tooth. The problem is also making my jaw ache quite a bit on the damaged side so I can only believe it is affecting a nerve in the area.

I think I'll probably need both of the wisdom teeth at the top out as sooner or later the one on the other side may do the same. Then I'll need one of those night guards to stop grinding my teeth away.

So bloody annoying. Dental problems are horrible and have to wait until tomorrow to see the dentist.

Anyone needed wisdom teeth out for a similar issue?

Similar I guess... as one of my top wisdom teeth came through, it started to rub the side of my cheek and some kind of gland up there on the inside of my mouth got inflamed. The dentist said she could shave the tooth down for me but it probably wouldn't completely solve the issue and would I rather she ripped it out. (I did have it taken out, not pretty I can tell you... but survivable all the same.)

I guess if wisdom teeth aggravate the inside of your mouth there's nothing else for it other than to have them taken out :dontknow:
Reply 2
Better consult with a nearby orthodontist to know the exact answer for your question. You may use a mouth guard to avoid teeth grinding while sleep, else it may lead to various teeth disorders.
Original post by rachel.h
Similar I guess... as one of my top wisdom teeth came through, it started to rub the side of my cheek and some kind of gland up there on the inside of my mouth got inflamed. The dentist said she could shave the tooth down for me but it probably wouldn't completely solve the issue and would I rather she ripped it out. (I did have it taken out, not pretty I can tell you... but survivable all the same.)

I guess if wisdom teeth aggravate the inside of your mouth there's nothing else for it other than to have them taken out :dontknow:

Original post by cresta
Better consult with a nearby orthodontist to know the exact answer for your question. You may use a mouth guard to avoid teeth grinding while sleep, else it may lead to various teeth disorders.

Had it taken out in the end. Will probably sort out a mouth guard as soon as possible now so that any further problems don't arise.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest