The Student Room Group

Does it really matter what university I attend?

As long as you really knuckle down and manage to achieve a good degree i.e. a 2:1 or a first in a subject area that is relevant to your career upon graduation, how much does your choice of university influence future employment whether it be that you attended one of the Russell Group Universities as opposed to a university ranked from 50 to 100 in the league table.

Also, is it more difficult to achieve a good degree if attending a university ranked much lower than the Russell Group Universities, or does it not matter at all?
It depends on what you want to do as a career. If you want to work in IB, commercial law or at one of the MBB consulting firms it matters a fair bit.
I'm undecided as to whether I want to go into law or into accounting. After university if I choose to go into accounting I will more than likely be doing my exams with ACCA so it's important that I chose a university that offers me full exemptions from these exams, after becoming a certified chartered accountant I will try my hand at getting a placement at big firm such as PwC or Ernst & Young however I understand that this is a very competitive job market, otherwise I'll go down the route of becoming a public accountant for smaller companies.

Alternatively if I chose to go into law I would probably attend the University of Law to complete my Graduate Diploma in Law after getting an accounting degree at university which requires me to get a minimum of a 2:2 or a 2:1 depending on whether I want to do the BAR after my GDL.
Reply 3
Original post by thesuitandtie
As long as you really knuckle down and manage to achieve a good degree i.e. a 2:1 or a first in a subject area that is relevant to your career upon graduation, how much does your choice of university influence future employment whether it be that you attended one of the Russell Group Universities as opposed to a university ranked from 50 to 100 in the league table.

Also, is it more difficult to achieve a good degree if attending a university ranked much lower than the Russell Group Universities, or does it not matter at all?

It matters

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending