The Student Room Group

Need help picking a course

I have decided to move to London and go to a university there, but im struggling to pick a course.

I am a very creative person, love photography, art, media, design, etc. I also love business, one day i would like to run my own business. For my a-levels i took art, media and photography. I really enjoy photography and received an A*, i dont really want to progress that onto uni though. What courses would suit me? I want to be successful, something that links to business, but not a job where i just sit in an office entering numbers on a computer, i want to be able to use my creativity. Any recommendations? Design? Advertising? I need ideasss
Reply 1
Have you tried to look for internships and apprenticeships? You'd be better trying a couple of internships in various areas like broadcasting, design, advertising... and seeing if there's anything that interests you. You're in a prime position right now to pick something out of the blue, that turns out not to be for you, and waste time and money just because you want to go to university.

You're probably going to be hasty and ignore that anyway so:
- Check the websites for places like the arts colleges (constituents of the Royal College of Art in London, I believe) as they offer undergrad degrees. That's if you want to continue with something art/creative
- Check any general university website and see what's on offer from the Business/Management schools.

Most degrees don't relate directly to a specific job, but more give you a wide grounding in an industry. It's entirely up to you to apply, or not, for that job sat at a desk all day. Have a look at any large company websites, and look for their graduate schemes. Most of them offer graduate schemes in all area (finance, sales, marketing, HR, etc.) so see if any of those ultimate job roles appeal to you. If you find something, have a look at what sort of degree it wants. I doubt that many of them are very rigid, as you'll have to go through assessment centres and interviews. They're just after keen and motivated people.

You might be interested in the sales/marketing side of things. Fundamental stages of that will obviously incorporate some design elements, but even something like a sales role could suit you as it's often a lot of travelling and meeting people, with business alignment very much the purpose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending