The Student Room Group

Are these subject appropriate for Oxford?

Hello Im an year 11 student from Australia who is dying to go to Oxford:biggrin:. Ironically, all the students who got accepted to Oxford from our school did only Math and Science subjects.

The subjects that I am doing in year 12 are Biology, English as a Second Language studies, German and Media studies. So my question is Can students, who studied these kind of subjects at high school, be accepted to Oxford?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[additional question]
If you're from Australia is IB the only way to get into Oxford? On Oxford's website it says SACE atar 98.5 is acceptable but i from our school only IB students got into Oxford..
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by OXFORDimcoming
Hello Im an year 11 student from Australia who is dying to go to Oxford:biggrin:. Ironically, all the students who got accepted to Oxford from our school did only Math and Science subjects.

The subjects that I am doing in year 12 are Biology, English as a Second Language studies, German and Media studies. So my question is Can students, who studied these kind of subjects at high school, be accepted to Oxford?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[additional question]
If you're from Australia is IB the only way to get into Oxford? On Oxford's website it says SACE atar 98.5 is acceptable but i from our school only IB students got into Oxford..

What subject are you wanting to study there? :h:
Hi - You've posted this question in the University of Leeds Q&A thread. We can't comment on entry requirements for other universities, so I'm asking for it to be moved to the University of Oxford Forum :smile:

Best wshes

Amanda
University of Leeds
Original post by Neuth

I would like to study English Literature or Biology :smile:or maybe both!
Reply 4
I would like to study English Literature or Biology :smile:or maybe both!

I would strongly recommend not picking media studies if you actually want to be competitive
Reply 5

[additional question]

I would say that, although I'm not familiar with the Australian system, I would do another science rather than just biology- it's not required but it would probably be useful :smile:. Also, for english lit, I would anticipate that doing english as a second language studies would be problematic - they'd probably look for straight english rather than the, presumably easier, english as a 2nd language, which would prepare you less effectively for english at degree level.

I'd also probably get rid of media studies, it's not very well-regarded and Oxford would probably look for a more rigorous subject.

[additional question]

If you want to study english or biology your subjects are fine. For biology you would ideally have maths, but it's not essential.

If the website says SACE is allowed, SACE is allowed. They care about whether or not you're good at your subject, not whether you've done a certain type of exams.
Reply 7
Media studies? Why bother? I suppose you chose it because it's an easy A-level compared to the other three. You might want to look into a humanities subject or a social science.
Original post by Neuth

What is your avatar :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by TheAnusFiles
What is your avatar :frown:

A rabbit eating lettuce.
Original post by Neuth
A rabbit eating lettuce.

Oooohhh.

I couldn't work out what it was
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Oooohhh.

I couldn't work out what it was

you blind bro?
Original post by Armin.
Media studies? Why bother? I suppose you chose it because it's an easy A-level compared to the other three. You might want to look into a humanities subject or a social science.

No I'm actually really interested in Media I even have a youtube channel:biggrin:!
No I'm actually really interested in Media I even have a youtube channel:biggrin:!

Big mistake to mention media on here. You'll just get bashed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

Can you link your youtube channel?

And "oh, that's nice..."
Original post by Armin.
Can you link your youtube channel?

And "oh, that's nice..."

Aha I sure will after putting up more high quality videos:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending