The Student Room Group

AS Level Choices (Please help)

Basically I got my GCSE results today 9 A*s (and 1 A in French) and I'm really happy,but now I really don't know what to do for my subject combination next year for medicine.

Basically,I want to do Biology,Chemistry and Phyiscs but I don't know what to do for my 4th (+ maybe 5th AS level)

Here are the subjects I want to do as a fourth (+ maybe 5th) option:

English
English lit.
Geography
Maths (+further maths).

Which one would you advise for medicine?

Thanks for your help...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hellom
Basically I got my GCSE results today 9 A*s (and 1 A in French) and I'm really happy,but now I really don't know what to do for my subject combination next year for medicine.

Basically,I want to do Biology,Chemistry and Phyiscs but I don't know what to do for my 4th (+ maybe 5th AS level)

English
English lit.
Geography
Maths (+further maths).

Thanks for your help...

Certainly further maths would be an excellent option. As long as you are certain that you will be able to obtain an A.
Reply 2
hellom

English
English lit.
Geography
Maths (+further maths).

Thanks for your help...

For med, you got the essential Bio and Chem so there really aren't any other subjects that would advantage or disadvantage you. Which of those do you like best? Which do you think you will be able to do best in?

Congrats for excellent GCSE results. :smile:
F.Maths isn't going to help you at all for medicine.
Any other A level will do. Only Chemistry is a must, but biology is also preferred.
Reply 4
It shows an analytical mind.
Reply 5
You've already got three excellent subjects for medicine, so what you pick for the fourth isn't going to matter all that much. Pick the one you enjoy most and think you'll do well at, because medicine is very competitive and you're going to need top grades. Also remember that for medicine work experience is practically essential.
Alexey
It shows an analytical mind.

And normal maths + chemistry + bio isnt enough? I dont think your statement above is sufficient to justify doing further maths for medicine. I would pick whatever you enjoy because you have the main subjects.
Reply 7
Synergetic
If you're committed enough, imo the perfect combination would be:
Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths
OR
Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Maths, History

Why do you rate History higher than other arts subjects?
Reply 8
Out of the subjects on the list, I'd say maths or English literature. Not too sure but I think that some universities don't accept maths and further maths as two separate A-levels for medicine.
Maths and physics complement eachother very well , so you may find that you are actually making the subjects easier for yourself by taking both.
Reply 10
You've got an A* in GCSE Maths, so I'd go for that. Further Maths is perhaps an unnecessary addition if you want to do medicine, so only do it if you particularly enjoy maths and you're confident you can get an A. To be honest, English Lit is just as good and its a nice break away from your science subjects.
Reply 11
I'm thinking of doing English lit.and I know it's very respected but would n't the fact that it has nothing to do with medicine go against me?
I'm doing A Levels in Maths, all the Sciences and English Lit.

Incidentally...I want to do medicine.
Reply 13
I'd say english lit. You've already got the compulsary subjects and so I think its best to pick another subject which is a bit different to make you look more well rounded. My mum's friend is an admissions tutor at Imperial and she said she likes to see a wider range of subjects on an application form as it shows people have a wider range of skills and aren't just a 'science geek' (her words not mine!)
congratulations! ----those are great results
Since you want to do medicine - have you found out what certain universities want? because some ask for a mixture of the sciences and humanities.
my friends applied for medicine - they had done the 3 sciences + maths + further maths. They thought that the load was overwhelming and so much of revision---your basically talking no sleep and seriously no going out until the exams. Coz thats what they did ---yet they didn't get the straight Az.
I would say maths + geog. Coz it gives a clear contrasting combination over all which would be highly appealing to universities - coz they would think that there is more to you than just a passion to do medicine. It also shows that you are a well rounded student.
As for doing 5 AS subjects--- good luck! that is quite a load - but i guess ur GCSE results speak for themselves! + if you feel that at the end of AS it was just too much you can drop one the following year.
Good luck with your A levels! :wink:
Reply 15
During my induction week, my school (who sends most of their students off to top medical schools) was saying that universities don't like all four sciences as A Levels with nothing else. Go for Literature to contrast what you've already got.
I'd go with English lit if you were thinking of taking it anyway. You already have the 3 sciences, so it will show a bit of variety, which medical schools will probably like. Be careful about taking 5 AS subjects though. You don't want to overload yourself, especially as you'll need to do work experience as well, and you'll need top grades. Well done for the fantastic GCSE results though! :smile:
Choose something you'll enjoy. Its always good to have a mix of subjects just to keep things fresh and varied.
Reply 18
What do you think would be the best subject to do out of English lit and geography for medicine?
Reply 19
Apart from Physics, maths, further maths and english lit is there any other choices to take with bio and chem to go for medicine.

Latest