The Student Room Group

Do you fart more when you are on your period?

I noticed that I've been farting more when I'm on my period, is this normal? Do any other girls experience this? Or is there something wrong with me?
Original post by emma350
I noticed that I've been farting more when I'm on my period, is this normal? Do any other girls experience this? Or is there something wrong with me?

I do, too! Anon because perhaps a little too detailed... but my tummy usually isn't quite 'settled' on day one, and I generally feel like I need the loo for the whole of the day. I'm guessing its because the nerves sensing the congested ache are so close to the ones sensing when you need the loo, perhaps even the same nerves; I don't know.

But basically, yeah. I tend to find that taking Paracetamol for the day eases the need to go to the loo as the other pain disappears, so then I also fart less. Give it a go! :smile:
Me too. :frown: and if I purposely don't, that's when I get really bad cramps in my stomach. Which only goes away with some sleep and a hot water bottle.
Anon because it's graphic, but yeah, kinda similar to the poster above, my tummy feels weird and I have to 'do a number 2' more often on day one.
Be grateful you don't get diarrhoea everytime like me :frown:
Yep, same here.
Original post by Anonymous

I do, to an extent, on day one and sometimes into day two. It's a case of I have to go more often than usual, but I wouldn't call it diarrhoea.

Have you ever had sugar free sweets? I buy them thinking I'm doing wonderful things for my body... But I always forget. They cause diarrhea.

I literally scoff them down and I only remember till after!
I do, to an extent, on day one and sometimes into day two. It's a case of I have to go more often than usual, but I wouldn't call it diarrhoea.

Mine hits at the end, after a few days of nothing.

Have you ever had sugar free sweets? I buy them thinking I'm doing wonderful things for my body... But I always forget. They cause diarrhea.

I literally scoff them down and I only remember till after!

I don't, but I may be guilty of not drinking enough liquids. I keep meaning to drink more water, particularly when I'm on, to see if that changes things.
Mine hits at the end, after a few days of nothing.

I don't, but I may be guilty of not drinking enough liquids. I keep meaning to drink more water, particularly when I'm on, to see if that changes things.

Oh yeah that's a good point. I think it does actually make a difference.

I'm the same. I get it mainly when I have my period but I get it before sometimes too. Its bloody painful! My bf always says whenever he has diarrhoea for whatever reason, it never hurts but when I get it, I'm nearly on the floor in tears whether its caused by periods or not. Maybe its a girl thing for it to hurt a lot? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello, I am a guy and I'm here to agree that periods suck. I salute you.
Original post by Yasmin25
I'm the same. I get it mainly when I have my period but I get it before sometimes too. Its bloody painful! My bf always says whenever he has diarrhoea for whatever reason, it never hurts but when I get it, I'm nearly on the floor in tears whether its caused by periods or not. Maybe its a girl thing for it to hurt a lot? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine doesn't unless I'm on my period. Literally, when I ate those sugar free sweets, I was laughing so hard while sitting on the toilet because I realised how stupid I was. xD But then later on the day I wasn't happy because I'm crazy paranoid so I ended up questioning whether I was dying. -.- maybe you show try eating a crap load of sugar free sweets and seeing if it hurts? :biggrin:

Original post by Amphiprion
Hello, I am a guy and I'm here to agree that periods suck. I salute you.

Thank you. I wish I could give it to you. It would be my gift.

Thank you. I wish I could give it to you. It would be my gift.

At least you never have and never will have to experience a sweaty scrotum stuck to the inside of your leg like a sodden bear pelt.
At least you never have and never will have to experience a sweaty scrotum stuck to the inside of your leg like a sodden bear pelt.

EWW Lord why such detailed descriptions?
Yeah but it's the pain I can't deal with. Like whenever I walk around with cramps I'm properly hunched over and you can't ignore the pain. You can't do anything with pain like that. I was on holiday and I spent a whole day in bed because of it. Not even exaggerating. The worst thing is when it's warm weather but you need the hot water bottle to make you feel better :frown:
EWW Lord why such detailed descriptions?
Yeah but it's the pain I can't deal with. Like whenever I walk around with cramps I'm properly hunched over and you can't ignore the pain. You can't do anything with pain like that. I was on holiday and I spent a whole day in bed because of it. Not even exaggerating. The worst thing is when it's warm weather but you need the hot water bottle to make you feel better :frown:

I was only joking y'know. Comparing a sweaty bean bag to periods is a little unbalanced.:run:
I was only joking y'know. Comparing a sweaty bean bag to periods is a little unbalanced.:run:

I have rep! Yeah very true.
Original post by Yasmin25

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah now that I think about it, it does seem to hurt when it's during a period. I would guess it's to do with the fact that there a spasms going on in two places at once and they probably overlap somewhere and that's why it's painful. I'm sure I read somewhere that getting diarrhoea while on a period is because the spasms for the period accidentally interfere with all the muscles that end up making you need to poo.

Quick Reply

Latest