The Student Room Group

A level compared to Fundamentals of physics

Hey!
I guess you know the books "Fundamentals of physics" by Halliday/Resnick/Walker. How do they compare to A Level Physics?

I'm a prospective student from Poland and I have been learning from these books and I don't know how would I look like compared to UK students with A Levels...
I'd imagine if it is the 'fundamentals of physics' they'd be pretty close to A-level, what is A-level these days, has it changed?

I remember physics at school and I hated it because I couldn't concentrate on it.
Reply 2
So why are you writing here, if you don't know anything about this? :s

Sorry man, but I don't get it :smile:
Well, if it is ''fundamentals of physics,'' I am more prone to think they are about the same level as I left highschool, which was beyond me at the time, which is why I said what I said.

Not that I should explain myself, but you did ask after all. :smile:
Reply 4
Ok. But these "Fundamentals..." are quite broad, so I would like someone who read it to answer :smile:
Original post by Arthasan
Ok. But these "Fundamentals..." are quite broad, so I would like someone who read it to answer :smile:

No problem. I haven't read it.
Dowloaded a copy and have taken a good look.

I'd say it was easily comparable to (and depth-wise exceeds in several instances), A-level physics in the core topics. However, some A-level options such as astrophysics are missing though.

If you are coping with this book, then you should have no problems with an A-level syllabus but you may need some additional subject matter to complete certain A-level topics not covered by the FoP book.
Reply 7
Astrophysics is a part of 2nd volume. This book contains 5 volumes.

Try there :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arthasan
Astrophysics is a part of 2nd volume. This book contain 5 volumes.

Try there :smile:
Thanks. I will have a look at those. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest