The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You go the shop and buy it and stop sponging.
Yeah I can't imagine the NHS providing such things via prescription, or even at all. Go to your GP with the issue if you wish, but don't expect anything like that.
Reply 3
Original post by AnEvolvedApe
I have always had high metabolism and I am wondering if I am liable for a prescription to help me with my protein intake and weight.

Is it possible to get a prescription for that reason?

You probably aren't eating right and that's why you aren't gaining weight, it's not likely that you have some super high metabolism. There is plenty of advice on nutrition in this forum and elsewhere on the Web. Use it, because firstly you won't gain weight from Protein

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by AlexJWise
Yeah I can't imagine the NHS providing such things via prescription, or even at all. Go to your GP with the issue if you wish, but don't expect anything like that.

It is possible to get them on prescription, but only if you're very very ill. My mum got some fortisip as she had terminal cancer and was struggling to eat, and other serious illnesses can also qualify. But just having a "fast metabolism" is unlikely to be enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I stand corrected! Either way, the chances of you getting this are extremely slim.
Original post by Juno
It is possible to get them on prescription, but only if you're very very ill. My mum got some fortisip as she had terminal cancer and was struggling to eat, and other serious illnesses can also qualify. But just having a "fast metabolism" is unlikely to be enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This was how my granddad got them too. (and because his cancer meant he couldn't eat that much)
I buy my protein shakes with my own money.
You probably won't get it through the NHS. If you really want protein shakes, you can get fairly cheap ones on the internet- try myprotein or gonutrition.
Eat more eggs.
Protein shakes won't help you with your weight, they will help you with your protein in take (surprisingly).

You don't have a fast metabolism unless you have a demonstrated underlying medical condition (hyperthyroidism, for example).

It would be cheaper to buy protein yourself vs the prescription charges.

Dietary supplements are generally only prescribed to people with either malignancy or GI tract disease.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Buy it or drink raw eggs :smile:
Never seen then prescribed to anyone who wasn't both old and suffering from an illness preventing them from eating solid foods.

Even in those cases they were shakes with a mix of carb/protein/fat and not the shakes that people use in the fitness industry which are 80+% protein
If you're really concerned about your weight, you should really see your GP who will advise and refer you to a dietician if necessary.

Fortisip and similar are usually given to the elderly who have inadequate nutritional intake. Something like a Complan shake is probably what you're looking for rather than a protein shake. It is a balanced shake intended to give the same nutrition as a light meal. In addition to your regular diet, it should add some extra calories. You're highly unlikely to be eligible for this on prescription although it is available to buy in most supermarkets and chemists.

If you are looking to build muscle tone, you might be better consulting the fitness thread, and trying some commercial protein shakes.
If you want to gain weight just eat more and/or do less exercise. It's easy.
A protein shake isn't a medical supplement :biggrin:
You probably don't have a high metabolism that makes it impossible to gain weight. You may still be having your growth spurt (I don't know your age).

Just eat loads, count your calories because chances are you're not getting enough to gain weight. A calorific surplus = weight gain.
Reply 16
You're trolling right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got ensure plus from my GP but i was prescribed it by my dietition and they are stopping it once i turn 18 so next year because of costs

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I should have gone to professionals...
The only way of receiving from NHS is if a diatician prescribes it I have it on prescription because I'm type 1 Diabetic and i have a malnutrition issue which means I'm at risk so this proves that it's for seriously ill people. Stop trying to get freebies and buy it. This is why NHS struggles because people who aren't generally I'll is getting free products from them.

Latest