The Student Room Group

Apple Macbook Help!

I've decided to get an Apple Mac for university and I'm struggling to decide whether to get the Macbook Air 11inch or the Macbook Air 13inch. I'd prefer portability but have tested out both in shops and can't decide on which one. I'm going to need it for word processing, Skyping and listening to music as well as internet browsing so need something that can withstand that. I've looked at the tech specs but I don't really understand. Help!

Sophie :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Both of them are suitable for what you're going to use it for. and both are equally portable so I'd get the 11 inch and save yourself some money. Also another tip I'd suggest is wait until you get to university to buy one because if you use the university network you can get it cheaper and save yourself even more money. :smile:

http://store.apple.com/uk/mac/education
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by David B
Both of them are suitable for what you're going to use it for. and both are equally portable so I'd get the 11 inch and save yourself some money. Also another tip I'd suggest is wait until you get to university to buy one because if you use the university network you can get it cheaper and save yourself even more money. :smile:

http://store.apple.com/uk/mac/education

Thank you. I've heard that the 11inch has worse graphics than the 13inch though. Any comment on that? I have the money for both of them, but I guess you are right as I will need to buy other accessories to go with it like a printer etc.

You can use your acceptance letter to get money off, I think and I am in need of a laptop now as I don't have one ATM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by sophieleannexo
Thank you. I've heard that the 11inch has worse graphics than the 13inch though. Any comment on that? I have the money for both of them, but I guess you are right as I will need to buy other accessories to go with it like a printer etc.

You can use your acceptance letter to get money off, I think and I am in need of a laptop now as I don't have one ATM.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But for what you want it for you don't need fantastic graphics. The graphics the 11 inch has got is quite adequate.
Do remember that the Air hasn't got a DVD drive, in case that's important to you. It wasn't to me, which is why I got one.
I agree with carnationlilyrose (as always)

I have an Air but, when we bought for the Teen going to uni she wanted a pro so that she had the drive

Makes it less portable but she uses her iPad in lectures so portability is less important
I've had both and I found the 11" to be way too small.
The great thing about Apple is that you can order one of them, play around with it, and if it's not for you, you can send it back for a full refund.
Original post by David B
But for what you want it for you don't need fantastic graphics. The graphics the 11 inch has got is quite adequate.

Thanks for info! Suppose you are right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Do remember that the Air hasn't got a DVD drive, in case that's important to you. It wasn't to me, which is why I got one.

I won't need a CD drive most probably. It doesn't bother me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TenOfThem
I agree with carnationlilyrose (as always)

I have an Air but, when we bought for the Teen going to uni she wanted a pro so that she had the drive

Makes it less portable but she uses her iPad in lectures so portability is less important

Portability is important for me tbh. I would rather have a laptop to type on than a tablet. Plus don't have that much money for a pro. Thanks for advice though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree the 11 inch is too small. I have an ipad as well, and strangely that seems much easier to see than the 11 inch Air. I have a 13 inch and it still seems a bit on the small size as I'm just getting used to downsizing from a 15" laptop before it.
Original post by Darwin's Bulldog
I've had both and I found the 11" to be way too small.
The great thing about Apple is that you can order one of them, play around with it, and if it's not for you, you can send it back for a full refund.

It isn't for everyone I've heard. I'll be using it for word processing, internet browsing, Skyping and listening to music. Nothing heavy duty really. Though battery life is concerning me for the 11inch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree the 11 inch is too small. I have an ipad as well, and strangely that seems much easier to see than the 11 inch Air. I have a 13 inch and it still seems a bit on the small size as I'm just getting used to downsizing from a 15" laptop before it.

Again true.

I would not go for the 11" even with the additional portability - my 13" is very light.
Original post by sophieleannexo
It isn't for everyone I've heard. I'll be using it for word processing, internet browsing, Skyping and listening to music. Nothing heavy duty really. Though battery life is concerning me for the 11inch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just found the screen to be far too small.

I have the 13" now and if i'm just word processing, the battery can last for 15+ hours.
Original post by TenOfThem
Again true.

I would not go for the 11" even with the additional portability - my 13" is very light.

Certainly I wouldn't use weight as an argument in any of this. Either one of them is lighter than anything else you can buy. Everything else is just gravy.
have you considered an ultra book? - if you come from a windows background that makes life a little bit easier
Original post by idelaghetto
have you considered an ultra book? - if you come from a windows background that makes life a little bit easier

I have. A macbook is what I'd like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Darwin's Bulldog
I just found the screen to be far too small.

I have the 13" now and if i'm just word processing, the battery can last for 15+ hours.

I'll have a play around with them before I buy. Personally leaning towards 13inch now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's probably because you use the ipad closer to your eyes than a laptop.

Most people hold tablets about 8 inches away from their face. For laptop it would probably be about 12 inches.

So a 10 inch tablet would seem to be as big as a 15 inch laptop.
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
That's probably because you use the ipad closer to your eyes than a laptop.

Most people hold tablets about 8 inches away from their face. For laptop it would probably be about 12 inches.

So a 10 inch tablet would seem to be as big as a 15 inch laptop.

You've obviously put more thought into this than I have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending