The Student Room Group

Is Islam being shown enough Respect in Britain?

I was on the bus today and this Muslim guy was praying and quite a lot of people were laughing at him, looking at him like he was crazy. I then overheard one guy say 'this isn't a mosque' but got off at that stop so don't know if there was an argument or fight. Is Islam shown enough respect in society, if any? I kind of understnad terrorism now.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Does it need to be shown respect..?
Original post by CryptoidAlien
I was on the bus today and this Muslim guy was praying and quite a lot of people were laughing at him, looking at him like he was crazy. I then overheard one guy say 'this isn't a mosque' but got off at that stop so don't know if there was an argument or fight. Is Islam shown enough respect in society, if any?

I wouldn't confuse respect and tolerance. Those people you described were making fun of him which was disrespectful and intolerant (to a degree).

I for one have no respect for any of the Abrahamic religions, however I will tolerate the people who follow the religion. In order to respect the person I'd have to know them a bit.

They are entitled to tolerance, but not to respect. Respect has to be earned and you have to know the person to respect them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Why should i respect Islam ,any other religion or followers of any religion? I couldnt give a damn about anyones religion. They are more than welcome to worship their false prophets and fool themselves but do it in your own home or place of worship and dont ram it down my throat because i dont want it. You are free to believe or worship whatever you like with my blessing,,just get on with it but dont expect special treatment from me and if i was in Government there would be no special treatment under law either.
I was on the bus today and this Muslim guy was praying and quite a lot of people were laughing at him, looking at him like he was crazy. I then overheard one guy say 'this isn't a mosque' but got off at that stop so don't know if there was an argument or fight. Is Islam shown enough respect in society, if any?

As a Muslim myself, and knowing how Islam is being viewed at these days, I personally would avoid any such actions. Anyone with little knowledge would have to bear in mind that people will make fun of you these days if you pray in public places like a bus. People wouldn't just ignore it in today's world and although it's not great, that's just what the world has come to.
I'll be honest, I can see why it may be unnerving to have somebody break into prayer on the bus. If I had been there, I would have thought I was facing imminent death. It's an odd place to pray.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
All the respect that it deserves and a bit more...
That us just the response you would get to any conspicuous/loud action in a public place these days. Religion aside if he'd broken out into song people would have made fun and been rude, if he'd started dancing, reciting poetry or crying the kind of people who made fun of this guy today would have acted the same.

people are disrespectful in general especially some teenagers. Was he praying out loud or just getting on with it with his head and hands? If he was praying out loud or chanting on a bus then that is inconsiderate in itself (as is causing any unnecessary noise on a busy bus)
Reply 8
Proud of that Muslim man. He showed the middle finger to the haters like all Muslims should and followed his religion.
Every Muslim should do the same.
Reply 9
People need to respect each other more these days.
In this case , he was a man who was simply praying. He wasn't affecting anyone else.
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
I'll be honest, I can see why it may be unnerving to have somebody break into prayer on the bus. If I had been there, I would have thought I was facing imminent death. It's an odd place to pray.

that comment just made me burst out laughing, have some rep :rofl:
There is a line between obligation and practicality, there is a window of time that a Muslim may perform his Salah, unless that bus ride was an hour and a bit long, he should have prayed before he got on or after he got off.

He also should not have prayed on the bus as it was likely to change direction and move round corners, thus meaning he would not be facing the Quibla and thus invalidating his Sallah.

Islam is being shown more than enough respect in the UK.
Original post by Amphiprion
That us just the response you would get to any conspicuous/loud action in a public place these days. Religion aside if he'd broken out into song people would have made fun and been rude, if he'd started dancing, reciting poetry or crying the kind of people who made fun of this guy today would have acted the same.

people are disrespectful in general especially some teenagers. Was he praying out loud or just getting on with it with his head and hands? If he was praying out loud or chanting on a bus then that is inconsiderate in itself (as is causing any unnecessary noise on a busy bus)

He would have been on his knees, bowing and prostrating.
Reply 14
If you're asking that question you need to simultaneously ask it for Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Sikhism.... et al...

I have many muslim friends - who are aware I am Catholic - and have taught many students who were muslim, but none of them would pray on a bus.... seems a little strange. They must be very devout to feel the need to pray at the exact time they were on the bus, as muslims I know would wait as they believe God / Allah would understand that you know, buses are sometimes late and you may be a bit late getting to mosque. My students, all of them were so lovely, would politely ask if it was ok for them to pray - in my classroom, during breaks - of course I said yes, and that they didn't need to ask, but they did every time and I asked if they wanted me to leave out of respect and they were happy to continue with me marking and setting up the class.

If he was praying to himself - aka murmuring the prayer - it would be seen culturally in the UK as a bit strange and out of place - we often associate prayer within a specific building or in private.

However, I would indeed find it strange if he was full on praying, including the kneeling and bowing if it was in the aisle of the bus. If he was just saying his prayer - I can understand some people's apprehension, especially as the words of prayer have been misused by Extremists and Terrorists - which is an important distinction to make - where they use the words of Allah to suit their own agenda - you just have to watch something like 24 or Homeland to understand what I mean - there is a phrase from the prayer (I believe, unless I confused my student's meaning) that is chosen before they commit certain acts. As I said, the apprehension considering the previous experience of London buses in July and some Extremists and Terrorists - past events by idiots tarnish the reputations of good, honest, loving people who are as equally appalled by the actions of terrorists as we are.

People will laugh and ridicule things they A: do not understand = ignorance B: Are afraid of (thank you media!) + don't understand = crowd mentality - this is what every extremist clings to whether they are Christian extremists - KKK, Muslim Extremists - Al Qaeda etc, it's the same mentality that was used to justify slavery, Nazi propaganda, apartheid -

I had a student who was the kindest, loveliest and most generous woman I have ever met. She was always polite, friendly, courteous and CHOSE to learn English in order to help her children through school, communicate with other parents and to become part of society whilst her husband finished his master's degree.

She came into the school one day, literally distraught, and told me how a man had pushed into her, yelled at her and spat in her direction and said bad words to her. He had shouted about her wearing her hijab and nikaab (headscarf and veil) - bearing in mind, this lady wore European clothes, not a burqa- and basically told her to 'bugger off home' for wearing a burqa.

She hadn't understood why when she had done nothing wrong, why he was being disrespectful and my only answer was he was an uneducated idiot - may not have been wholly his fault, as he didn't understand - I also then explained how in the UK and many other countries - covering your face is seen as 'hiding something' as if you are a criminal and how people culturally associate not being able to see someone's face as untrustworthy - she was literally blown away.

She explained to me how she covers her hair because it is in the Qu'ran and it is a sign of respect. She also insisted she chose to wear the nikaab in public, as she only shows her face to those she trusts, her family, friends and her teacher (me) because it was showing a part of emotions on her face, so it was showing her 'full self' - and I thought this was such a lovely way of explaining it. She also added she wears western clothes as she wanted to show she was willing to integrate, whilst still keeping her religion sacred, but showing she accepted and understood European culture too....

Religion will always be a source of conflict, and there will always be extremists and people trying to scaremonger - whichever side they are on - and always will be people who are rude and disrespectful.

All we can do is show respect to others and hope it passes on, sharing respect and cultures and just being nice to each other.... I literally knew nothing about muslim culture and customs, but it was so interesting to see - wait for the trolls! - similarities in my religion - in all religion, which is what extremists miss, of love and respect for one another....

I just think the world would be so much nicer if people would listen to each other, share their differences and similarities and respect one another.... but maybe I'm just an idealist...
I was on the bus today and this Muslim guy was praying and quite a lot of people were laughing at him.

Be fair now. When a muslim prays, they look ridiculous.

Original post by Roger1
Proud of that Muslim man. He showed the middle finger to the haters like all Muslims should and followed his religion.
Every Muslim should do the same.

Nah, it was more like he was mooning them.
Why would you pray on a bus?

How do you know which way Mecca is?

muslims have 5 prescribed prayers in a day at specific periods during they day, so if he was running late then he had to pray

Original post by Amphiprion

individual prayers are read silently.
I was on the bus today and this Muslim guy was praying and quite a lot of people were laughing at him, looking at him like he was crazy. I then overheard one guy say 'this isn't a mosque' but got off at that stop so don't know if there was an argument or fight. Is Islam shown enough respect in society, if any? I kind of understnad terrorism now.

What the hell is wrong with you? A few people on a bus were perhaps a bit inconsiderate when a man did something bizarre. How is that a justification for terrorism?

That's the equivalent of "This Jewish guy slept with my girlfriend, I kind of understand the holocaust now". What ridiculous logic.

As to your question, I actually think Islam is shown far too much respect in this country. The pitiful government response to the Muslim protests over Rushdie's book and the Danish cartoons is evidence of that, as well as everyone having to tip-toe around in order not to offend Muslims by, for example, serving meat in schools that wasn't killed as part of some weird ritual.

If a member of a lesser known cult had started praying he would not have been respected, because it's a weird thing to do. Just because more people are part of that cult it does not become any more valid.

Islam should be treated with the same derision Christianity, Scientology etc. are treated with. But of course, that can't happen since there are so many fanatical Muslims who would want your head for that.

You should see some of the bus rides in Italian cities, everybody prays when they are on those.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending