The Student Room Group

Numberwang?!?!?!?!??!!!!!!!!

Ok so I have gone through all 23 pages of the Numberwang thread and I still don't really understand this game
And all the people that have tried to explain to others are saying 'it's so simple I don't get how you're not getting it'

I still don't understand and have watched an episode?!

So I understand that the next number has to relate to the previous one but how do you get to decimals????? And in what ways can you relate the number? And what even is the aim of the game, what type of number ends the round and makes you the winner?!

Wtf is a numberwang
Wtf is a wang

Haha I am just slightly frustrated lol?! :mad::mad::s-smilie::s-smilie::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Also I didn't post this in the other thread cause I didn't want to interrupt the game.
Please can someone answer my questions and explain the game thoroughly rather than 'it just has to relate to the previous number' thank you very much :smile:
Original post by melody19
Ok so I have gone through all 23 pages of the Numberwang thread and I still don't really understand this game
And all the people that have tried to explain to others are saying 'it's so simple I don't get how you're not getting it'

I still don't understand and have watched an episode?!

So I understand that the next number has to relate to the previous one but how do you get to decimals????? And in what ways can you relate the number? And what even is the aim of the game, what type of number ends the round and makes you the winner?!

Wtf is a numberwang
Wtf is a wang

Haha I am just slightly frustrated lol?! :mad::mad::s-smilie::s-smilie::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Also I didn't post this in the other thread cause I didn't want to interrupt the game.
Please can someone answer my questions and explain the game thoroughly rather than 'it just has to relate to the previous number' thank you very much :smile:

Okay, the best way I can explain is with an example.

A: 5
B: 17
A: 244.4544
B: 2
That's Numberwang!

A: 11
B: 7
A: 13
B: 711
A: 11,711
That's Numberwang!

I hope that helps :smile: The pattern is pretty clear once you see it
I really hope you're joking.
Reply 3
Original post by 99DeadBaboons
Okay, the best way I can explain is with an example.

A: 5
B: 17
A: 244.4544
B: 2
That's Numberwang!

A: 11
B: 7
A: 13
B: 711
A: 11,711
That's Numberwang!

I hope that helps :smile: The pattern is pretty clear once you see it

Thank you for answering! :smile:

I am seeing patterns but I still can't really grasp how the game works. Would you mind possibly explaining each step and why you chose that particular number? :o: :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Dr Pesto
I really hope you're joking.

Hahahaha sadly not.
Thank you for answering! :smile:

I am seeing patterns but I still can't really grasp how the game works. Would you mind possibly explaining each step and why you chose that particular number? :o: :tongue:

Well, it's really a process of elimination. There's a video here which explains the rules better than I could: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ofnDdi-vfw
Bear in mind these rules only apply to European Numberwang

To be Numberwang, a number must satisfy the following rules simultaneously

1. It must be able to splice the Matterhorn within a period of 3 minutes

2. Its 'Wang factor' must be equal to or greater to that of the Euler-Mascheroni constant

3. It must begin with a sound that is equal to the end of the preceding Wang

Also, if a number is equivalent to the previous number and satisfies these rules, it is Wangernumb and the boards must be rotated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arithmeticae

2. Its 'Wang factor' must be equal to or greater to that of the Euler-Mascheroni constant

Also, if a number is equivalent to the previous number and satisfies these rules, it is Wangernumb and the boards must be rotated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't forget that the second one doesn't apply to prime numbers.
Original post by Dr Pesto
Don't forget that the second one doesn't apply to prime numbers.

Isn't 23 the only Numberwang number for which 2) is actually true? :holmes:
Reply 9
Original post by 99DeadBaboons
Well, it's really a process of elimination. There's a video here which explains the rules better than I could: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ofnDdi-vfw

Omg I'm still as confused :frown:

Original post by Arithmeticae

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't the Matterhorn a mountain?

Ok thank you for the replies but I am still as confused as ever or even more so maybe.

All the sketches I've seen seem to me like it's just for comedy and there are not real rules. Is this actually a real game or am I being trolled?!?! The only reason I thought it could be real is cause everyone on the Numberwang thread seems so serious about it :confused: :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Blackacre

Yeah, but that's covered by Coppenheim's Numberwang differential
Original post by Blackacre

Ah, of course. I'm just used to playing the original latin version of the game and I got mixed up.
Reply 12
Ok guys enough, I've discovered it's not real hahahahahaha :p: :colondollar:
Ok guys enough, I've discovered it's not real hahahahahaha :p: :colondollar:

PRSOM :console:

Don't worry, I got trolled too :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
PRSOM :console:

Don't worry, I got trolled too :tongue:

Haha thank you :tongue:

Oh gosh here I am getting so worked up about it, I should have known :wink: (also I'm glad I'm not the only one!!)

Quick Reply