The Student Room Group

How much do you pay attention in lectures?

I'm starting university this September and I was wondering how much you usually pay attention in lectures? 100% of the time? 50% of the time?

Also do you take notes while in lecture?

Scroll to see replies

I think it depends on the subject really. If it's classes from my majors (accounting & finance) I'd say 90%, and I'm always taking notes, whereas if it's other classes then yeah it's a lot less, but I always try to write something down then put it into proper useful notes afterwards..
20% I have a high tendency to distract myself and day dream.

I only take notes with Lecturers who don't make their stuff available online and who add additional information and not just read the slides.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hardly ever. 10-40% of the time maybe. I'm easily distracted during lectures.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by hollieeilloh
I think it depends on the subject really. If it's classes from my majors (accounting & finance) I'd say 90%, and I'm always taking notes, whereas if it's other classes then yeah it's a lot less, but I always try to write something down then put it into proper useful notes afterwards..

Original post by Georgiina_Tee
20% I have a high tendency to distract myself and day dream.

I only take notes with Lecturers who don't make their stuff available online and who add additional information and not just read the slides.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by hkofficial
Hardly ever. 10-40% of the time maybe. I'm easily distracted during lectures.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you all say you're doing quite well in your subjects? What grades have you achieved so far?
I'd say 90%.

I'm the sort of person who looks at the slides uploaded afterwards or any vague notes that I've taken and just doesn't remember and/or understand what anything means. I can't really afford to not listen properly in lectures and I take pages and pages of notes so I can refer back to them, otherwise I have no idea what the hell anything means :tongue:
Original post by David B
Would you all say you're doing quite well in your subjects? What grades have you achieved so far?

I only just finished first year, but yeah I got a distinction (average in 6 classes was over 70%)
Reply 7
I only just finished first year, but yeah I got a distinction (average in 6 classes was over 70%)

So you basically got a first?
Original post by David B
So you basically got a first?

I guess so, my uni just doesn't call it a 'first' in first year aha.
Reply 9
I guess so, my uni just doesn't call it a 'first' in first year aha.

What university do you go too?
In my second year at uni I only went to 2 lectures because most of them were just a lecturer regurgitating what was written in a text book. I stepped up my lecture attendance when the lectures became more interesting.
Original post by David B
What university do you go too?

Strathclyde, in Glasgow.
Original post by David B
I'm starting university this September and I was wondering how much you usually pay attention in lectures? 100% of the time? 50% of the time?

Also do you take notes while in lecture?

Try for 100%, but obviously that's not easy! I study medicine - for the science lectures, I pay proper attention maybe 80-90% of the time. However for the 'health, ethics and society' module we have, like 10% lol.

I'm not really a big note taker in lecture, I prefer to put my full attention into understanding the material. Then looking at the slides and textbooks later to make my own notes on the topic.
I pay about 30% attention.
I wish I paid more but some of the lecturers are so dull...
We get given all our notes online and handouts in lectures (with some of the slides having blank spots we fill in as we go along).
I guess if I didn't have these handouts I'd have to pay more attention, I usually only pay attention when they explain how they would approach answering questions based on the lecture.
In first year I wrote quite a lot in on of my module's lectures. but didn't pay attention at all during seminars for that same module.

In my other 5 modules I didn't write anything at all (seriously) I never took a notepad to my other 5 modules, just me and my phone, I spent some time in lectures watching Netflix on my phone lol.

I got 65 overall in first year too. :biggrin:7

Most of my assignments are essay based so I just do **** all until I get an assignment and then I head off to the library, get a **** ton of books and learn that way, rarely from the lecturers themselves..
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Hardly anything really, all slides are put online so if you need something you've got it

First year was easy enough to not pay attention
Reply 16
Original post by Asklepios
Try for 100%, but obviously that's not easy! I study medicine - for the science lectures, I pay proper attention maybe 80-90% of the time. However for the 'health, ethics and society' module we have, like 10% lol.

I'm not really a big note taker in lecture, I prefer to put my full attention into understanding the material. Then looking at the slides and textbooks later to make my own notes on the topic.

I see, what did you get in each year?
I have fallen asleep in lectures.

I do take notes but this one lecture had this really soft, monotone Northern accent that just sent me asleep.
My attention span ranges from 90-20%. For me it depends on how engaging the lecturer is and whether the material itself is interesting. I do take notes in lectures but not all the time.
(edited 9 years ago)
No worse feeling than looking at your notebook and realising you have no notes for a lecture series and the PowerPoint provided online consists of a series of abstract images and a key word from a given researcher.

Quick Reply