The Student Room Group

med with foundation year?

I've completed my a levels and currently waiting for results day but I've now decided that humanities was not for me...*I did triple science and got AAB (bio, chem, phy) for gcses and really regret not choosing sciences. ..I've recently found out that certain unis do med with foundation years and especially UEA do a course I reckon I could be accepted in for..

But sadly ucas apps are closed and I haven't actually appled for that course...

Can someone please shows me some guidance I really want to do medicine now and I won't be content with anything else:confused:
Original post by theoz
I've completed my a levels and currently waiting for results day but I've now decided that humanities was not for me...*I did triple science and got AAB (bio, chem, phy) for gcses and really regret not choosing sciences. ..I've recently found out that certain unis do med with foundation years and especially UEA do a course I reckon I could be accepted in for..

Can someone please shows me some guidance I really want to do medicine now and I won't be content with anything else:confused:

Start planning to cram your enforced gap year with work experience and volunteering.
Reply 2
I've heard such types of courses hage very few spaces? I already work in a chemist and dont mind a gap year but would they be willing to accept a gap year student when they only accept few people?
Original post by theoz

Hi, I was a rejected med applicant before.

Yes, there are universities that offer Medicine with Foundations (6 year programme), like Durham, UEA, Keele; so on and so forth.

With your humanities A level, you are a perfect candidate (when it comes to subjects accepted), however they require that all applicants must sit the UKCAT (which is an aptitude test).

Sadly, Medicine with Foundations do not go through clearing - because they interview chosen applicants, and they also require you to do a clinical work placement.

The best thing I can suggest, is do a gap year or resit your A levels to an AAA standard and apply next year.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by theoz
I've heard such types of courses hage very few spaces? I already work in a chemist and dont mind a gap year but would they be willing to accept a gap year student when they only accept few people?

They do indeed have very few places and they are extremely competitive. You won't find them in clearing if that's what you are thinking. A gap year won't matter as long as you use it to plug the gaps in your application. Working in a chemist is not the kind of work experience you need. I suggest you look at the wiki articles and search some threads on this forum to give you an idea of what is required.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending