The Student Room Group

Energy question

Hello everybody,
I am Victor Moussalli, 17 years old, just starting grade 12 of high school. My passion is energy efficiency. The only types of engineering that I like are: environmental, energy, and electrical. I want to know what is the best path to take; university or not, to guarantee a good job later on as many of my older buddies are now struggling to find jobs despite their engineering majors.
Thank you,
Victor Moussalli

Scroll to see replies

You'll want to do Electrical and/or Electronic engineering then, or Mechanical. Those types will get you into an energy field just fine. Also, if you are prepared to travel you should have no problem finding a job. Just make sure the degree is accredited (unless Americans are different in terms of first degrees than the UK).
Original post by bestofyou
You'll want to do Electrical and/or Electronic engineering then, or Mechanical. Those types will get you into an energy field just fine. Also, if you are prepared to travel you should have no problem finding a job. Just make sure the degree is accredited (unless Americans are different in terms of first degrees than the UK).

Thank you for your answer. If I want to absolutely work in energy, shouldn't I do electrical engineering as a major and then minor in energy, rather than majoring only in electrical?
Original post by energypassion9
Thank you for your answer. If I want to absolutely work in energy, shouldn't I do electrical engineering as a major and then minor in energy, rather than majoring only in electrical?

Energy/power systems is usually an option/specialization within electrical engineering that you can choose.
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
Energy/power systems is usually an option/specialization within electrical engineering that you can choose.

Good point,what do you advise me to do;specializing or not?
Thank you.
Reply 5
Good point,what do you advise me to do;specializing or not?
Thank you.

You will likely get a job regardless.
Original post by ahpadt
You will likely get a job regardless.

Does this also apply if a company is hiring for a classic, general electrical engineer job? Wouldn't they prefer the one without an energy minor?
Thanks
Does this also apply if a company is hiring for a classic, general electrical engineer job? Wouldn't they prefer the one without an energy minor?
Thanks

Universities don't work like that.

You get a lot more choices in courses to take when you are in university, and everyone will be specializing in something, officially or not.

When a company is looking for a candidate, they are really just looking for someone who knows the stuff they do, and they don't really care what it says on your piece of paper (as long as you have a EE degree).
Universities don't work like that.

You get a lot more choices in courses to take when you are in university, and everyone will be specializing in something, officially or not.

When a company is looking for a candidate, they are really just looking for someone who knows the stuff they do, and they don't really care what it says on your piece of paper (as long as you have a EE degree).

Oh okay i got it thanks for your answer you really helped!
Do you have any advice on how to chose a uni?
What do you guys advise me to do if I wanna work in energy?
Major in energy
Major in EE
Major in ME
Major in EE,minor in energy
Major in ME,minor in energy
Major in ME,minor in EE,specialization energy
Major in EE,minor in ME,specialization energy
Major in physics,minor in maths,THEN any of the above.
None(in this case please suggest for me..)
Please answer with 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
I need an urgent answer because I am lost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Are you talking about studying in the US? There isn't a major/minor system in the UK.
I'm still not sure where I'm going to study, this depends on the answer of this question..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just major in EE. I have never heard of a major or minor in energy. It's just a specialization at some places.

It doesn't really matter. You are way overthinking this.
Why in EE not in something else,please explain. I need to be sure that this is the best path, I am still getting various opinions..:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why in EE not in something else,please explain. I need to be sure that this is the best path, I am still getting various opinions..:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because you are interested in electrical energy, and electrical engineering is the study of electrical energy.
Because you are interested in electrical energy, and electrical engineering is the study of electrical energy.

What if I was interested in both electrical and mechanical?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
What if I was interested in both electrical and mechanical?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Several UK uni's have combined elec and mech degrees. Some places call it Mechatronic. At Bath they call it integrated mechanical and eletrical engineering. Its quite popular.
Original post by ahpadt
Several UK uni's have combined elec and mech degrees. Some places call it Mechatronic. At Bath they call it integrated mechanical and eletrical engineering. Its quite popular.

Oh yes, I forgot about that, I'm sorry for asking:/
The problem is that I am still getting mixed advices:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about dark energy? :smile:
Oh yes, I forgot about that, I'm sorry for asking:/
The problem is that I am still getting mixed advices:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will get mixed advices for everything in life, from choice of laptop to what to eat for dinner to whether smoking is a good idea or not.

When all advices have been given, it's up to you to evaluate each and make your own decision. No one can help you with that.

Quick Reply

Latest