The Student Room Group

Reading festival packing list

So i am going to reading in a couple of weeks and was just kind of looking for a definitive list of what to pack, obviously i have ideas but it would be great to get a complete list in one place! don't worry about clothes but just like any other items, anything at all but please no "just bring condoms" or like "tent", thank you guys so much :smile:
Moved to festivals

What are you planning on doing about food and drink whilst there?

I would also bring:
- money
- camera
- phone + charger
Original post by janeolivia88
So i am going to reading in a couple of weeks and was just kind of looking for a definitive list of what to pack, obviously i have ideas but it would be great to get a complete list in one place! don't worry about clothes but just like any other items, anything at all but please no "just bring condoms" or like "tent", thank you guys so much :smile:

I went to Reading last year and I am going again this year, you'll have a great time!:biggrin: Just some suggestions..
- Dry Shampoo
- Wet Wipes (work well as a shower haha)
- Food/Drink (not too much though, you can buy stuff there and it will be heavy to carry)
- Wellies
- Flip Flops (for walking around camp)
- Comfy Shoes
- Toilet Roll
- Waterproofs
- Warm clothes for the evenings (it can get pretty chilly)

In terms of money, I took about £120, also I'd try and leave the valuables at home and maybe take a cheap phone if you can:biggrin:
Went last year and I'm going back this year. There really are only a few things that I'd say are ESSENTIAL and many others items that would just come in handy.

This is my list, and would I'll be taking. Many will disagree with me on what's essential.

ESSENTIALS

Your tent, obviously.
A sleeping bag
Money. You could easily do Reading on £50 if you stayed away from the food stools and bars in the arena. There's a large tesco about 20 minutes from the campsite that you can get all your food and drink on the cheap
If your of age, ID. you'll need it if you plan on drinking.
A cheap mobile phone, wouldn't recommend bringing your smart phone
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Deodorant
Toilet roll. Seriously.
Wet wipes are a god send at festivals

USEFUL ITEMS

A roll matt to put under your sleeping bag
A lighter
Plasters
Painkillers

Shower gel and shampoo if you're planning to shower
A towel
Black sacks

Have fun!
Reply 4
Original post by Georgia22

- Flip Flops (for walking around camp)

Really?? Thats brave :wink:
Reply 5
Literally just Googled "what to bring to reading festival"

Ticket -For Obvious Reasons
A tent - Believe it or not ... some people dont class this as an essential buts its still going in red!
A sleeping bag - For erm .. sleeping

A Blanket - To put under your sleeping bag, or wrap in when you are sitting outside at night!
Money
A cash/debit/credit card
Some form of ID
A torch - This is a godsend for numerous reasons ...... Not breaking your neck on guide ropes, finding things in the dead of night like toilet paper in a bog emergency.
Train ticket (if you are travelling by train) - get a return ticket because its cheaper!
Roll mat - to go under your sleeping bag to keep the chill out.
A pillow - or one of those beany bag squishy things! It is nice to be relatively comfortable at night! Its bad enough being cold and achy, plus you can beat your group with it in the morning if they arent up as early as you are!
A mallet - You can use a shoe or a tin of beans, but its much easier with a mallet!
Mobile phone
Wallet - Please only leave essential stuff in your wallet.
Keys - So you arent stuck sitting on your doorstep for hours, hearing that bath calling your name through the letterbox
Batteries
A camera

A lighter - You will be surprised how versatile a lighter is!!!!
Bucket - For pee, sick, water anything you like really!
Scarf - Spray with deodarant and tie on your face if the smell of toilets really is too much for you to bear!

CLOTHES

Obviously you will take what you want, but you should have ........

Trousers
TShirts
Hoodies / Jumpers
Shorts
2 pairs of shoes
Far more socks that you think you will need!
2 pairs of socks will be a life saver if you end up with blisters.
More than one pair of undies a day
Woolly hat
- to stop that essential heat escaping
Sun hat - to stop you getting sunstroke if the sun decides to make an appearance.
Sun glasses - sunshine or not ... they are cool!

A pair of plastic flip flops and/or wellies - for going near the taps or toilet in the night.
Wellies
Rain Mac / Poncho

Toiletries

Deodorant - You will need it!
Toothbrush and toothpaste - urgh no one likes a scummy mouth ... and lets face it you might pull!!!
A Mirror - Essential if you wear contact lenses

Condoms - If you dont use them cos you get lucky, you can blow them up and be daft with them!
Plasters - Oh yes, you will inevitably be someones friend and saviour if you take these!
Painkillers - to erm kill pain and stop it spoiling your fun
Shampoo/Conditioner
Showergel

Sun Cream - Dont spend the weekend like a lobster
Loo roll/Tissues - DONT GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT THIS!!!!
Wet Wipes - good for freshening up and cleaning yourself after a trip to the toilet.
Hairbrush/Comb

A towel - Essential if you are planning on showering.

Food and Drink Stuffs

Tin opener - You will be surprised how long it will take you to locate a tin opener if you forget one.
Plastic cutlery - If eating with your fingers isnt an option
Cereal bars/boxesof - Lets face it, cereal straight from the box never tastes better than at Reading!
Bottle Opener

Other
Original post by Reue
Really?? Thats brave :wink:

What can I say? I am fearless:tongue:
dry shampoo
lots of wet wipes
I usually take:

Ticket

Tent

About £80 for food (breakfast at the church haha) and alcohol

Alcohol (on the day normally 1l plastic bottles of rum and vodka, but buy crates of beer/cider and juice from the tescos over the course of the weekend

An empty 1l plastic bottle to fill with water when I get there

Duvet (great for making friends with)

Sleeping bag as I get cold and need both haha

Deodorant

Dry shampoo

Tooth brush + toothpaste

Wet wipes

More socks than you think you will need (someone stole all my socks the first year...)

Underwear

Shorts and tops (pair for everyday)

2x leggings for evenings

Hoody

Poncho

2x pair pf pjs

Toilet roll

In terms of food we go to tescos and normally buy cereal and belvita breakfast bars (half of one fills me up for hours), I find that having the cooked breakfast at the church and supplementing it with the odd handful of cereal throughout the day/breakfast bar and alcohol is normally enough to keep us going. If we feel we really need something else we club together and share a meal from one of the stands

Have a good time!

edit: I forgot
(edited 9 years ago)
Won't let me add on but:

Wellies

Plimsoles

Cheap phone

Lighter

Don't normally bother with a chair as odds are it will get nicked
All the drugs that ever existed.
Hey!!

"the church" that has been mentioned is a 3 minute walk from tesco, if you carry on up past tesco, turn right at subway and the church is next to the library..

You can get a full English cooked breakfast for 4 quid, and if your not hungry enough for that we can also do sausage/bacon sandwich for 3 quid..

There is decent toilets that have bog roll provided, a vanity room for more conscious girlie's, a comfortable lounge to relax while maybe you charge your phone..

This year we have bands/singer/groups performing throughout the weekend, so you should be entertained while you do whatever you want to do!!

We are all volunteers that provide this service, but this being our third year, we love doing it to raise money for our Girls and Boys Brigade company's..

Well after bigging up our breakfasts lol, I hope to see you all personally at "the church" lol!! And I hope you all have a brilliant time at festival!!
Original post by Caraphernelia
I usually take:

Ticket

Tent

About £80 for food (breakfast at the church haha) and alcohol

Alcohol (on the day normally 1l plastic bottles of rum and vodka, but buy crates of beer/cider and juice from the tescos over the course of the weekend

An empty 1l plastic bottle to fill with water when I get there

Duvet (great for making friends with)

Sleeping bag as I get cold and need both haha

Deodorant

Dry shampoo

Tooth brush + toothpaste

Wet wipes

More socks than you think you will need (someone stole all my socks the first year...)

Underwear

Shorts and tops (pair for everyday)

2x leggings for evenings

Hoody

Poncho

2x pair pf pjs

Toilet roll

In terms of food we go to tescos and normally buy cereal and belvita breakfast bars (half of one fills me up for hours), I find that having the cooked breakfast at the church and supplementing it with the odd handful of cereal throughout the day/breakfast bar and alcohol is normally enough to keep us going. If we feel we really need something else we club together and share a meal from one of the stands

Have a good time!

edit: I forgot

This is what ive got and it made me feel much better. We've bought food before hand and cans though, so.. hopefully theyll let us in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest